Trump cancels Denmark trip after PM says Greenland isn't for sale

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
President Donald Trump is calling off an upcoming trip to Denmark after its prime minister rebuffed his interest in buying Greenland, a Danish territory, the White House announced on Tuesday.

"Denmark is a very special country with incredible people, but based on Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen’s comments, that she would have no interest in discussing the purchase of Greenland, I will be postponing our meeting scheduled in two weeks for another time," Trump tweeted. "The Prime Minister was able to save a great deal of expense and effort for both the United States and Denmark by being so direct. I thank her for that and look forward to rescheduling sometime in the future!"

I want you to imagine yourself in the year 2014, August the 21st. You are sitting in your nice comfy chair and having your breakfast when a future version of you steps out of a time portal and hands you a newspaper, telling you that it is from 5 years in the future. This is the headline story. What is your reaction?

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Let's see if Greenland wants to be American.
Technically they already are part of North America.

It's not like they can motorboat away from the mainland.

Upvote 0

Skewpoint

Jul 11, 2019
USA
✟72,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
The Article said:
Trump’s abrupt cancellation of the visit came as a surprise, since the White House initially described the trip as unrelated to Trump’s Greenland aspirations. He told reporters on Sunday, that, "we're going to Poland and then we may be going to Denmark ⁠— not for this reason at all. But we're looking at it."

Why was it cancelled if this whole buying Greenland boondoggle wasn't the main reason for going in the first place? This is embarrassing for all of us Americans.

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pretty much this:
onion.png

But hey, this same funny man sent a hostage negotiator to Sweden with the mission to free an American guy convicted of assault.

In a complex world, one needs a clear sense of priorities not to get lost. And when the world around you gets too complex and confusing, it's best to focus on the small manageable stuff one is familiar with than to get over one's head with the big stuff better left to the more competent people.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I wonder what Trump had planned with the 56000 current inhabitants of Greenland. I cannot imagine his base would be too keen on 56000 non English speaking fishermen being given immediate US citizenship.
Why would they become citizens? When the US bought the Danish Virgin Islands in 1917, they only gave the islanders citizenship gradually between 1927 and 1935.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why would they become citizens? When the US bought the Danish Virgin Islands in 1917, they only gave the islanders citizenship gradually between 1927 and 1935.

So your explanation of why they might not become citizens is an example where they all became citizens. Alright then.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I wonder what Trump had planned with the 56000 current inhabitants of Greenland. I cannot imagine his base would be too keen on 56000 non English speaking fishermen being given immediate US citizenship.

Most commentary I've seen on the right is general approval of buying Greenland for strategic reasons. The Greenlanders would still remain in Greenland and would be a legal part of the USA. Unlike South Americans who are illegally entering the USA. Still, acquiring Greenland doesn't mean they have to become a State. Instead they could just be an unincorporated territory. As I understand it this would allow Greenland more autonomy in local laws than other states and certain constitutional laws wouldn't apply.

Doesn't seem much different than it is under Denmark. The only difference is the Greenlanders themselves would likely get bought out by the USA government.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
So your explanation of why they might not become citizens is an example where they all became citizens. Alright then.
Not immediate citizens, which is what you said. Acculturation will be quite rapid with such a small and sparse population, and Greenland would quickly be swamped with US military personnel and mining outfits, so the few natives really aren't of much concern.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Not immediate citizens, which is what you said. Acculturation will be quite rapid with such a small and sparse population, and Greenland would quickly be swamped with US military personnel and mining outfits, so the few natives really aren't of much concern.
Truer words have never been spoken.

• Agree
Reactions: jardiniere
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I want you to imagine yourself in the year 2014, August the 21st. You are sitting in your nice comfy chair and having your breakfast when a future version of you steps out of a time portal and hands you a newspaper, telling you that it is from 5 years in the future. This is the headline story. What is your reaction?

Stepped back to 2014 and got this reaction from me.
Trump? you must be kidding.
Obama must have continued screwing up that badly.
Didn't the Republicans have anyone better?
Biden must have continued being a gaffe machine or surely he would have beaten Trump of of all people.
He did n't. Hillary Clinton? You must be joking.
Did both parties try that hard to get the worst possible candidate?
Too bad about Greenland though, would have been a nice get. Maybe we could trade California for it? Nah the Denmark PM is probably no fool.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
From the OP article:
"Denmark is a very special country with incredible people, but based on Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen’s comments, that she would have no interest in discussing the purchase of Greenland, I will be postponing our meeting scheduled in two weeks for another time," Trump tweeted. "The Prime Minister was able to save a great deal of expense and effort for both the United States and Denmark by being so direct. I thank her for that and look forward to rescheduling sometime in the future!"
Looking at a polar map, it appears that Greenland is nearly a peninsula of Canada. Maybe Canada could buy it and build an ice road to it. ^_^

proj_stereographic.png

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From the OP article:
Looking at a polar map, it appears that Greenland is nearly a peninsula of Canada. Maybe Canada could buy it and build an ice road to it. ^_^

proj_stereographic.png
A peninsula of a thousand islands? You can't have an ice bridge without ice - the Arctic is melting.

Meh, they're almost like Norwegians, the "best" type of immigrants.

Upvote 0