Southern US
✟393,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
"President Trump's 2018 budget proposal on Tuesday won't cut Social Security payments to retirees or Medicare, but it will make serious cuts to other entitlement programs. A source with direct knowledge tells me the Trump budget will save $1.7 trillion on the mandatory side over the next ten years."

Trump budget to slash entitlements by $1.7 trillion

• Winner
Reactions: Root of Jesse

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,203,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't doubt that he wants cuts in those areas...however, I'd like to see that $1.7 trillion number itemized just a bit before I'd be willing to accept it as gospel truth.

There's no doubt that Trump has expressed cuts in areas that would certainly have a negative impact on society as a whole (his proposed cuts to the medical science and environmental fields come to mind for that...)

Right now, our US federal spending is around $3.9 trillion total.
Of that:
$1.2 Trillion is Medicare/Medicaid
$930 Billion is Social Security
$550 Billion is on defense/military spending

Given that the article is claiming that the top two items listed aren't going to be cut. What exactly would these other entitlements be that would total up to $1.7 trillion?

In an independent report by CATO, there are 126 different entitlement programs at the federal level that total up to around $600 Billion, and only when you include state and local spending (which Trump and his peeps have no control over) does that number number crack the $1 Trillion mark.

And it's important to note that of that entitlement spending at the federal level, just over 1/3 of it ($212 Billion) is spent on cash-in-hand programs that people would tend to think of when they think "welfare".

The other 2/3 include things like education grants, adoption assistance, etc...

I think both sides are kind of taking advantage of word games here in all of the articles. The right-leaning, pro-Trump articles are capitalizing on the fact that the lion's share of the Trump support base assumes "Entitlements = Cash-in-hand Welfare programs"...therefore "the bigger the cut, the better"

The left-leaning articles aren't questioning the $1.7 trillion figure, even though they likely know it's inaccurate simply because to their fan base "cutting entitlements = evil", therefore "the bigger the reported cut proposal, the more of a monster they can paint him to be".

I really wish the media on both sides would try to exercise a little more integrity in reporting these things.

• Informative
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,118.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I don't doubt that he wants cuts in those areas...however, I'd like to see that $1.7 trillion number itemized just a bit before I'd be willing to accept it as gospel truth.

There's no doubt that Trump has expressed cuts in areas that would certainly have a negative impact on society as a whole (his proposed cuts to the medical science and environmental fields come to mind for that...)

Right now, our US federal spending is around $3.9 trillion total.
Of that:
$1.2 Trillion is Medicare/Medicaid
$930 Billion is Social Security
$550 Billion is on defense/military spending

Given that the article is claiming that the top two items listed aren't going to be cut. What exactly would these other entitlements be that would total up to $1.7 trillion?

In an independent report by CATO, there are 126 different entitlement programs at the federal level that total up to around $600 Billion, and only when you include state and local spending (which Trump and his peeps have no control over) does that number number crack the $1 Trillion mark.

And it's important to note that of that entitlement spending at the federal level, just over 1/3 of it ($212 Billion) is spent on cash-in-hand programs that people would tend to think of when they think "welfare".

The other 2/3 include things like education grants, adoption assistance, etc...

I think both sides are kind of taking advantage of word games here in all of the articles. The right-leaning, pro-Trump articles are capitalizing on the fact that the lion's share of the Trump support base assumes "Entitlements = Cash-in-hand Welfare programs"...therefore "the bigger the cut, the better"

The left-leaning articles aren't questioning the $1.7 trillion figure, even though they likely know it's inaccurate simply because to their fan base "cutting entitlements = evil", therefore "the bigger the reported cut proposal, the more of a monster they can paint him to be".

I really wish the media on both sides would try to exercise a little more integrity in reporting these things.
The article did say that the savings are dependent on part for the ACHA passing, and that does cut medicaid, and I think medicare, though I'm not sure about the last.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟393,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,203,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The article did say that the savings are dependent on part for the ACHA passing, and that does cut medicaid, and I think medicare, though I'm not sure about the last.

Correct, that's kind of what I was driving at...
It's one of those "both can't be true" scenarios.

If the number is really $1.7 Trillion, then it would have to include Medicare.
If they're really not going to cut Medicare & SS, then there's no feasible path that would allow them to cut by a number that huge.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,010.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Medicare has nothing to do with the ACHA.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟903,569.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Correct, that's kind of what I was driving at...
It's one of those "both can't be true" scenarios.

If the number is really $1.7 Trillion, then it would have to include Medicare.
If they're really not going to cut Medicare & SS, then there's no feasible path that would allow them to cut by a number that huge.

I'm guessing it is a 10 year projection.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟393,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It does involve cuts to Medicaid, but not Medicare, if you follow the links to the budget. But alas, we will see the POTUS budget tomorrow. I think part of this is a bluff on Trump's part to open the negotiations with offense as opposed to defense but we'll see where it all goes. If nothing else, the electorate can at least have a voice in the future through their US Congressmen and Senators. I write mine often, and most of the time I get long answers back regardless of my position relative to theirs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
[Staff edit].

From the article posted by the OP: "Office of Management and Budget director Mick Mulvaney briefed White House reporters today on President Trump's 2018 budget proposal, to be released tomorrow morning."

This is pretty standard, the press often is given an overview of the budget before it is released. This is also why you are seeing so many news organizations covering this news.

Additionally, from the Washington Post article, that was linked in the second post, "The full budget document is scheduled to be released Tuesday morning, but either by mistake or design, the administration posted the section dealing with the Department of Health and Human Services late Monday afternoon. The document was soon taken offline but can be read here."

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,203,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm guessing it is a 10 year projection.
That's the only thing I can figure...

I had originally thought of that...however, I don't see how a president could make those kinds of projections considering that their term may only be 4 or 8 years.

I guess in my mind, the concepts of a "4-year job" and a "10-year plan" don't jive too well...

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
That is not what I'd expect from someone who is supposed to be a good businessman.
Oil is low right now, so low it's hurting American producers who focus on unconventional resources. Not only is he proposing to sell low, he's also going to undercut the already struggling unconventional producers. It will hurt jobs and chances of the US becoming enervy independent, keeping the prices down to keep OPEC on top.
Hmm..and right after his visit to SA.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,746,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"President Trump's 2018 budget proposal on Tuesday won't cut Social Security payments to retirees or Medicare, but it will make serious cuts to other entitlement programs. A source with direct knowledge tells me the Trump budget will save $1.7 trillion on the mandatory side over the next ten years."

Trump budget to slash entitlements by $1.7 trillion
Doesn't look like many Republicans like the budget:

Republicans give Trump's budget the cold shoulder

Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.) said the plan cuts “too close to the bone,” while Sen. Dean Heller (R-Nev.) called it “anti-Nevada,” citing cuts to “important public lands programs.”

Senate Health Committee Chairman Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) has previously warned that not much more can be cut from discretionary spending accounts, which cover popular programs such as medical research at the National Institutes of Health.

Trump’s proposed cuts to Medicaid were making some Republicans nervous.

The fiscal 2018 budget assumes that the House GOP’s legislation to repeal and replace ObamaCare will become law, which would cut Medicaid by $839 billion. Trump’s budget then proposes an additional $610 billion in cuts.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Alas, this is what happens in politics. Trump's predecessor ballooned the debt by 10 TRILLION dollars, to which every economist replies that we can't go on this way. But if President Trump or any other president were to make economies, everyone who was benefitted by the excessive spending will plead that doing so is merciless. And also, one of the major political parties will be right there to repeat that refrain and capitalize on that sentiment.

In the end, some heroic leader will bite the bullet for the sake of the country but pay the price at the polls because of it...or else the country will go through an economic disaster because none of the pols cared to do the right thing. People will then say "why didn't someone do something?"

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,085,557.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Nothing will be "saved." Instead it (and more) will be transferred to the accounts of Trump and his billionaire crony capitalists in the form of tax cuts.

Millions will starve or go without health care--so the billionaires can buy more yachts.

As Steven Colbert said last night: "Trump wants to cut SNAP (food stamps) and CHIPS (Children's Health Insurance Program) and the children are saying "HELP" AND "STOP."

But what Republicans listen to hungry children?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,085,557.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And I was SO hoping for a thoughtful response. :(
That IS thoughtful. Tax cuts always add to the deficit, historically. It's money transferred from those who need it most to those who need it least.

Upvote 0