Trump blames past administrations for a flawed COVID-19 test. The test couldn’t have existed earlier

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: Yarddog

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought he said he inherited a broken system? Did I mishear? Obama often said he inherited a mess even though the Executive Branch of the government he actually inherited seemed to have been fully functioning before he got there. Politicians, much like children, say the darnedest things.
You did not mishear. Trump did go into length it was the medical system with the multitude of regulations which do not work during a pandemic of this magnitude.

You heard correctly, Politi “fact” got it wrong.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I thought he said he inherited a broken system? Did I mishear? Obama often said he inherited a mess even though the Executive Branch of the government he actually inherited seemed to have been fully functioning before he got there. Politicians, much like children, say the darnedest things.
The article from the OP thoroughly explains his remarks and how they wrong. Not sure Trump is the blame for for the slow testing but he is for lying about the tests.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The article from the OP thoroughly explains his remarks and how they wrong. Not sure Trump is the blame for for the slow testing but he is for lying about the tests.

I have yet to see any proof that Trump said he inherited a broken test. The article does not supply any evidence to back up the claim that he did say that . I heard him say he inherited a broken system from the Obama administration during the briefing yesterday. I followed the link Poilitfact provided where they allege he said it on some Fox News program I am unfamiliar with and found nothing at all . I have yet to hear him actually say he inherited a broken test either live or in a clip. . I'm sure someone here will be able to provide me with the means to prove that he said it if such proof exists. Until that happens or someone can disprove he said it I will have to rate Politifact's claim that he said it a potential "pants on fire".

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
How-Does-The-U.S.-Healthcare-System-Compare-To-Other-Countries-chart-2.jpg

Trump blames past administrations for a flawed COVID-19 test. The test couldn’t have existed earlier

This President has set records for issuing the greatest number of executive orders in his first 3 1/2 years - many were initiated to eliminate the "red tape" that he claimed was inherited from the Obama Administration!

A current executive order can overturn prior executive orders by one's predecessors, so for this President to shift the blame on an earlier administration after 3 1/2 years in office defies all logic!

The Germans, who developed the test currently used by the World Health Organization, had it operational in January and proceeded to aggressively test their population for COVID-19 which gave them a comprehensive idea as to the magnitude of their problem!

This provided them with the advantage of getting ahead of the curve with the added bonus of ensuring that their healthcare system wouldn't be overwhelmed - as was the case in Italy and Spain!

Given that the Germans spend far less for their healthcare system, on a per capita basis, than their US counterparts, Americans should be asking themselves as to why they are content to pay top dollar for a medical system that was totally unprepared to deal with this pandemic?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have yet to see any proof that Trump said he inherited a broken test. The article does not supply any evidence to back up the claim that he did say that . I heard him say he inherited a broken system from the Obama administration during the briefing yesterday. I followed the link Poilitfact provided where they allege he said it on some Fox News program I am unfamiliar with and found nothing at all . I have yet to hear him actually say he inherited a broken test either live or in a clip. . I'm sure someone here will be able to provide me with the means to prove that he said it if such proof exists. Until that happens or someone can disprove he said it I will have to rate Politifact's claim that he said it a potential "pants on fire".
found this:
Q Sir, may I just follow up on your letter to the governors that you sent? Since we were on the topic of governors. You sent a letter to governors, at the end of the week, saying that you guys are going to be developing criteria —

THE PRESIDENT: Yeah.

Q — to be able to classify counties —

THE PRESIDENT: Sure. Yeah.

Q — based on whether they were hotspots or what not. And I wanted to know if you have enough tests, currently, to be able to accurately rank those counties.

THE PRESIDENT: Yeah. We’re ranking counties and we’re ranking states. And a lot of people put out false information because they don’t know what they’re talking about.

And we took over a dead, barren system. We took over a system that was obsolete. It was — it was good for a tiny, little sample of people. It was — and even that didn’t work, because when CDC first looked at their test, the biggest problem they had is the test didn’t work. That wasn’t from us. That’s been there a long time. Now we have the best tests in the world. And nobody has — now they’re all calling: “Can we get the quick test?” We call it the “quick test,” where, by the way, probably more accurate and it takes a few minutes. I mean, it’s pretty amazing what we’ve done.

No, we’re getting — we’re getting (emph. added)
found here: Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Briefing | The White House
tulc(hopes that helps) :wave:

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Transcript Quote - Interview: Donald Trump Calls In to Fox and Friends for an Interview - March 30, 2020 | Factbase
You can find his quote and his recorded interview on this site. It is his interview on Fox and Friends

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian

Politifact is notorious for making false claims itself. Their own claims should often be rated pants on fire. One example I can think of is their claim that the Fed did not create 16 trillion dollars in response to the 700 billion dollar bailout. A partial audit of the Fed showed this to be the case and they claimed it was simply a misunderstanding of accounting rules that made it look like the Fed had done this. They have an agenda and it isn't to tell the truth.

This is a good article about what went wrong with testing. The CDC's insistence that it create its own test. The first batches were faulty.

What Went Wrong with Coronavirus Testing in the U.S.

The E.U.A. regulations, however, prohibited the lab from reporting the results to the doctors who had ordered the tests for their patients. To work around the prohibition, Jerome’s lab⁠ called officials at the state lab and told them, “You’ve got to get this patient and test.” (As it happened, the patient’s specimen was already being studied for covid-19.) In effect, Jerome said, the lab was able to perform at least some surveillance of the outbreak, despite the lack of tests from the C.D.C. “If we’d been able to test a thousand people or two thousand people, maybe we would have found something sooner,” he told me. “But it does show that it wasn’t like everyone had it through those last two weeks of February.”

Trump didn't write those regulations. They existed at the FDA long before the emergence of Covid-19. And the faulty tests were sent by the CDC in February, they weren't created by Trump. I am no fan of Trump, but the insistence on blaming him for everything is absurd.

He acted far sooner than Obama did when H1N1 hit. Obama waited until 4000 people died before declaring a national emergency. I totally disagree with many of the things Trump's done but he didn't cause the testing problems.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Trump didn't write those regulations. They existed at the FDA long before the emergence of Covid-19. And the faulty tests were sent by the CDC in February, they weren't created by Trump. I am no fan of Trump, but the insistence on blaming him for everything is absurd.

He acted far sooner than Obama did when H1N1 hit. Obama waited until 4000 people died before declaring a national emergency. I totally disagree with many of the things Trump's done but he didn't cause the testing problems.
1. The President has the authority to change FDA regulations using executive orders and we all know that Trump has never been shy about exercising his authority to the limits - and often beyond!

2. Just as the White House Pandemic Council was disbanded in 2018, this Administration has such a high rate of turnover and so many positions unfilled that it lacks the expertise and experience to deal with crisis situations!

3. Trump's ego is such that this self-proclaimed "stable genius" can deal with the most complex of problems without surrounding himself with knowledgeable advisers and that he has the luxury of retreating into a fantasy world of denials!

4. The "best people" that he claimed would all want to work for him refuse to work for an abusive "moron" (Rex Tillerson's description, not mine) - who would want having served in the Trump Administration on their resume?

5. Tens of thousands of Americans die from a strain of the common flu every year but that represents a 0.1% fatality rate - the death rate from COVIN-19 in America is currently approximately 2% but that could dramatically increase to as high as Italy's 11% if the healthcare system is overwhelmed and there are no longer enough ventilators available to meet the demand!

6. This President may not be directly responsible for the delay in the COVIN-19 test kits, although the disbanding of the White House Pandemic Office and budget cuts to the CDC may have played a role - we all know that Trump is more than willing to take the credit for "success stories" such as the DOW when its going up, but when problems arise he is quick to shift the blame to anybody/everybody but himself!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1. The President has the authority to change FDA regulations using executive orders and we all know that Trump has never been shy about exercising his authority to the limits - and often beyond!

2. Just as the White House Pandemic Council was disbanded in 2018, this Administration has such a high rate of turnover and so many positions unfilled that it lacks the expertise and experience to deal with crisis situations!

3. Trump's ego is such that this self-proclaimed "stable genius" can deal with the most complex of problems without surrounding himself with knowledgeable advisers and that he has the luxury of retreating into a fantasy world of denials!

4. The "best people" that he claimed would all want to work for him refuse to work for an abusive "moron" (Rex Tillerson's description, not mine) - who would want having served in the Trump Administration on their resume?

5. Tens of thousands of Americans die from a strain of the common flu every year but that represents a 0.1% fatality rate - the death rate from COVIN-19 in America is currently approximately 2% but that could dramatically increase to as high as Italy's 11% if the healthcare system is overwhelmed and patients are unabthere

Experts at the FDA and CDC have an obligation to ensure safe and proper testing. Would you want Trump to make decisions that Doctors should be making?

Just as the White House Pandemic Council was disbanded in 2018, this Administration has such a high rate of turnover and so many positions unfilled that it lacks the expertise and experience to deal with crisis situations!
It wasn't disbanded, the office was combined with two other offices.

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian

He has to be aware of them first and realize their impact. I want to re-iterate here that I am not a Trump "supporter." I wouldn't vote for him, I don't agree with his handling of this situation and I wouldn't vote for him. But it is totally unreasonable for anyone to expect that he would realize that the restrictions in place were detrimental. He'd have to have the FDA's restrictions memorized in their entirety. Cut it out already. The FDA's restrictions even prevented private testing facilities from reporting results to the very people they had tested.

Pants on fire.

Partly false claim: Trump fired entire pandemic response team in 2018

Pants on fire. You want it both ways. You want the president to be so smart that he not only has the entire federal code memorized and its departments administrative directives, but also to defer to experts which you claim he's not doing.

He's deferring to experts but he's also speaking as if he IS omniscient. There's something not quite right about the man but he has been acting and he did not disband and throw away all expert opinion. He's trotting out the experts and they're inducing un-necessary panic.

One guy who is an expert but there are obviously experts who work for him and haven't quit. Who is Fauci of not one of the "best people?"
5. Tens of thousands of Americans die from a strain of the common flu every year but that represents a 0.1% fatality rate - the death rate from COVIN-19 in America is currently approximately 2% but that could dramatically increase to as high as Italy's 11% if the healthcare system is overwhelmed and patients are unabthere

This is hysteria based on a misunderstanding about how mortality rates are properly calculated. Germany's mortality rate is .75% for instance. The reason their rate appears lower has to do with the fact that they've tested many more people. Were Covid-19's mortality rate calculated the way that the flu is, it would also be well below 1% because we don't know how many unconfirmed cases there are that do not make it to doctors or hospitals. We know for a fact that some people test positive and show no symptoms. As with other viruses, the vast majority of cases don't ever report to a doctor or health professional.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi GATW,

For the record, when President Obama decried having been given a mess. I think he was referring to the economic situation of the nation, not the political situation. Since the market and economic difficulties did start in the summer/fall of '09, I think he may have been correct. Yes, you are correct. The executive branch was pretty stable when President Obama took the reigns. He was able to work with those who had remained and most of the new executive staff throughout the economic downturn and recovery. Personally, I think President Obama did a reasonably good job as leader of the nation.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

• Agree
Reactions: Jamsie
Upvote 0

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi GATW,

Personally, I think President Obama did a reasonably good job as leader of the nation.

God bless,
In Christ, ted
Obama on multiple occasions wanted to cut CDC funding. Obama fired the head of the epidemic team. According to what anti trump critics say, Obama is a failure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Obama on multiple occasions wanted to cut CDC funding. Obama fired the head of the epidemic team. According to what anti trump critics say, Obama is a failure.

Hi NA,

That's why I said 'personally'.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Obama fired the head of the epidemic team.

This is a lie.

Perhaps not yours, but a lie nonetheless.

From ... Ex-Obama official fires back: Trump was left with 'global health infrastructure'

"Former Deputy National Security Adviser Ben Rhodes fired back after President Trump sought to blame his predecessor for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) slow rollout of coronavirus testing.

On Friday, Trump took aim at the CDC under President Obama, saying on Twitter: “For decades the @CDCgov looked at, and studied, its testing system, but did nothing about it. It would always be inadequate and slow for a large scale pandemic, but a pandemic would never happen, they hoped. President Obama made changes that only complicated things further.”

“Their response to H1N1 Swine Flu was a full scale disaster, with thousands dying, and nothing meaningful done to fix the testing problem, until now,” Trump added. “The changes have been made and testing will soon happen on a very large scale basis. All Red Tape has been cut, ready to go!”

But during an interview on MSNBC on Saturday, Rhodes slammed Trump’s comments, adding that “what he said about testing was completely false,” and pointing to recent fact-checks done since then that he says prove “that’s not the case.”

“I think, importantly, what Obama did leave Trump is a global health infrastructure that we had set up informed by the lessons of the Ebola outbreak,” Rhodes said before pointing to a National Security Council (NSC) pandemic directorate The Associated Press reports was dismantled by the Trump administration in 2018.

“And what we did is set up, in the White House, ... an office that was responsible for managing pandemics, managing global health threats that was shut down two years ago by President Trump,” Rhodes said.

“And when you don’t have an office like that,” he continued, “you don’t have dedicated people inside the White House who are ensuring that information is acted upon. When you see an outbreak in a place like Wuhan, China, you want people in the White House who are thinking about what needs to be done right away so that you don’t get behind the curve, which is what happened in this White House.”

He then went on to note differences between how Trump is currently handling the COVID-19 outbreak in the U.S. and how Obama handled the Ebola outbreak during his time in the Oval Office.

“You need a president who’s willing to hear bad news, willing to understand that they’re going to have to focus on something that they may have not intended to focus on. President trump clearly did not want to hear that bad news when he heard about the outbreak in coronavirus,” Rhodes said.

When reflecting on how Obama approached the Ebola outbreak, Rhodes said the former president “sidelined” officials who were not experts and brought in people like Dr. Anthony Fauci, the current head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and others within the government who “had real expertise on how to do deal with this.”

The CDC has come under fire in recent weeks for its lag in coronavirus testing as more cases or reported across the U.S.

As the agency continues to face scrutiny for its response efforts, Trump has sought to distance himself from the pushback, telling reporters on Friday, “I don’t take responsibility at all because we were given a set of circumstances and we were given rules, regulations, and specifications from a different time.”

“If you go back to the swine flu, it was nothing like this. They didn’t do testing like this, and actually they lost approximately 14,000 people, and they didn’t do the testing. They started thinking about testing when it was far too late,” he said.

His remarks have been called out by fact-checkers over the weekend. The New York Times, for example, labelled his comments “false” and “blatantly wrong.”

In her piece on Friday, Times fact-checker Linda Qui noted that an Obama-era guidance Trump appeared to be blaming for the slow rollout in testing was “not particularly relevant to emergency situations and was never finalized or generally enforced.”

She also pointed out that, despite Trump’s claims, the Obama administration had diagnostic testing for H1N1 virus rolled out “less than two weeks after the H1N1 virus was identified and a day before the first death in the United States.”

Upvote 0

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is a lie.

Perhaps not yours, but a lie nonetheless.

From ... Ex-Obama official fires back: Trump was left with 'global health infrastructure'

"Former Deputy National Security Adviser Ben Rhodes fired back after President Trump sought to blame his predecessor for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) slow rollout of coronavirus testing.

On Friday, Trump took aim at the CDC under President Obama, saying on Twitter: “For decades the @CDCgov looked at, and studied, its testing system, but did nothing about it. It would always be inadequate and slow for a large scale pandemic, but a pandemic would never happen, they hoped. President Obama made changes that only complicated things further.”

“Their response to H1N1 Swine Flu was a full scale disaster, with thousands dying, and nothing meaningful done to fix the testing problem, until now,” Trump added. “The changes have been made and testing will soon happen on a very large scale basis. All Red Tape has been cut, ready to go!”

But during an interview on MSNBC on Saturday, Rhodes slammed Trump’s comments, adding that “what he said about testing was completely false,” and pointing to recent fact-checks done since then that he says prove “that’s not the case.”

“I think, importantly, what Obama did leave Trump is a global health infrastructure that we had set up informed by the lessons of the Ebola outbreak,” Rhodes said before pointing to a National Security Council (NSC) pandemic directorate The Associated Press reports was dismantled by the Trump administration in 2018.

“And what we did is set up, in the White House, ... an office that was responsible for managing pandemics, managing global health threats that was shut down two years ago by President Trump,” Rhodes said.

“And when you don’t have an office like that,” he continued, “you don’t have dedicated people inside the White House who are ensuring that information is acted upon. When you see an outbreak in a place like Wuhan, China, you want people in the White House who are thinking about what needs to be done right away so that you don’t get behind the curve, which is what happened in this White House.”

He then went on to note differences between how Trump is currently handling the COVID-19 outbreak in the U.S. and how Obama handled the Ebola outbreak during his time in the Oval Office.

“You need a president who’s willing to hear bad news, willing to understand that they’re going to have to focus on something that they may have not intended to focus on. President trump clearly did not want to hear that bad news when he heard about the outbreak in coronavirus,” Rhodes said.

When reflecting on how Obama approached the Ebola outbreak, Rhodes said the former president “sidelined” officials who were not experts and brought in people like Dr. Anthony Fauci, the current head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and others within the government who “had real expertise on how to do deal with this.”

The CDC has come under fire in recent weeks for its lag in coronavirus testing as more cases or reported across the U.S.

As the agency continues to face scrutiny for its response efforts, Trump has sought to distance himself from the pushback, telling reporters on Friday, “I don’t take responsibility at all because we were given a set of circumstances and we were given rules, regulations, and specifications from a different time.”

“If you go back to the swine flu, it was nothing like this. They didn’t do testing like this, and actually they lost approximately 14,000 people, and they didn’t do the testing. They started thinking about testing when it was far too late,” he said.

His remarks have been called out by fact-checkers over the weekend. The New York Times, for example, labelled his comments “false” and “blatantly wrong.”

In her piece on Friday, Times fact-checker Linda Qui noted that an Obama-era guidance Trump appeared to be blaming for the slow rollout in testing was “not particularly relevant to emergency situations and was never finalized or generally enforced.”

She also pointed out that, despite Trump’s claims, the Obama administration had diagnostic testing for H1N1 virus rolled out “less than two weeks after the H1N1 virus was identified and a day before the first death in the United States.”
So you are calling this doctor a liar.

Kenneth Bernard is a retired Rear Admiral and physician, who served as a special assistant to the president for security and health during the Clinton and George W. Bush administrations. He also served in the top role in the Clinton National Security Council. Here is what he said.

Under Obama’s NSC, Bernard says the office was downgraded again, until the 2014 Ebola crisis emerged, and President Barack Obama appointed “Ebola Czar” Ron Klain. National Security Advisor Susan Rice later institutionalized the office in 2015, calling it the Directorate for Global Health and Security and Biodefense.

Under Fire For Coronavirus Response, Trump Officials Defend Disbanding Pandemic Team

Last edited:
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

As "We inherited a broken test" is not in there I don't see how it could help?

Transcript Quote - Interview: Donald Trump Calls In to Fox and Friends for an Interview - March 30, 2020 | Factbase
You can find his quote and his recorded interview on this site. It is his interview on Fox and Friends

Finally there it is.
Thank you Yarddog.
at 00:06:04 - 00:06:10 (5 sec)
"And yet, you know, we've tested more than any other country. We inherited a broken test --"

He did indeed say "We inherited a broken test" right before he says this -

-- the whole thing was broken. And we rebuilt it and, you know, this -- I wish it was done before and I'm not even blaming anybody. Nobody could have predicted something like this but we're now testing hundreds of thousands of people.

How can Politifact say the big thing below in conjunction with his saying "we inherited a broken test" when Trump says he is not even blaming anyone? It would seem Politifact is conflating what Trump said elsewhere in conjunction with an entire system with what he said about a broken test on the Fox television program. Nowhere in the article does Politifact actually show where Trump blamed a prior administration for a broken COVID-19 test. He does blame the prior administrations for a broken system. Trump certainly is shown in the article to have claimed no responsibility for any poor testing and to claim to have inherited a broken test. However, he nowhere is shown to have blamed past administrations for that broken test he inherited. One is left not knowing where he thinks the broken test came from as he is not actually quoted in the article saying where he inherited the test from. Since Politifact did not actually show that Trump did lay blame on past administrations for a flawed Covid-19 test then calling the claim false is nothing more than calling a strawman a liar and therefore Politifact's claim is unproven by anything in the article.

"Trump blames past administrations for a flawed COVID-19 test. "

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Need answers
Upvote 0