Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Trump didn't "back off". The tariffs were strategic. They brought the new USMCA trade agreement, which gives the US veto power over unilateral trade between CA or MX and any non-FTA nation. With that provision, the tariffs' protections were no longer needed. So Trump is now ditching them in order to get USMCA through Congress easier.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟343,063.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Trump didn't "back off". The tariffs were strategic. They brought the new USMCA trade agreement, which gives the US veto power over unilateral trade between CA or MX and any non-FTA nation. With that provision, the tariffs' protections were no longer needed. So Trump is now ditching them in order to get USMCA through Congress easier.
Can you quote that portion of the agreement, because I have trouble believing that is true.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Can you quote that portion of the agreement, because I have trouble believing that is true.

I have trouble with that too unless the veto power was invested in all three nations.

• Agree
Reactions: JacobKStarkey
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

So it was a Pyrrhic defeat then.

• Agree
Reactions: JacobKStarkey
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟343,063.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
  • Informative
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
loophole-closure.jpg

Upvote 0

paul1149

Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So I did some quick research. It seems to be Article 32.10. https://ustr.gov/sites/default/file...Text/32_Exceptions_and_General_Provisions.pdf However that's only about one of the member states trying to establish an FTA with a non-market economy. It's fairly obviously meant to make sure nobody can create an FTA with China.
Stopping the back-door dumping of steel and aluminum was the whole purpose of the tariffs. USMCA stops that better than the tariffs could, plus gives control over other imports as well.

Yes, the provision is trilateral among USMCA, but the US holds all the economic cards here.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Stopping the back-door dumping of steel and aluminum was the whole purpose of the tariffs. USMCA stops that better than the tariffs could, plus gives control over other imports as well.

Yes, the provision is trilateral among USMCA, but the US holds all the economic cards here.

Nice to meet someone proud of their country being a fiscal bully. I guess that's another "Christian" thing. No wonder I isn't one.

Upvote 0

paul1149

Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Nice to meet someone proud of their country being a fiscal bully. I guess that's another "Christian" thing. No wonder I isn't one.
Bully? More like self-defense. China's grossly unfair trade practices have been the bane of the world, from organized IP theft, to forced technology transfers, to currency manipulation, to its own protective tariffs, and more. Hard to find a nation that doesn't acknowledge that. We finally have a president willing to take on the challenge of establishing free and open markets, and to stand up to China and stop it from dumping subsidized goods funneled through the NAFTA back door.

Reactions: ItIsFinished!
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

paul1149

Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Have absolutely nothing to do with the US bullying Mexico and Canada.
The US has every right to stop cheap Chinese products from entering its markets through CA and MX.

Reactions: ItIsFinished!
Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The US has every right to stop cheap Chinese products from entering its markets through CA and MX.

Evidence please. I mean evidence that Chinese products needed a nafta back door and weren't just strolling through the front one.

Upvote 0

paul1149

Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Evidence please. I mean evidence that Chinese products needed a nafta back door and weren't just strolling through the front one.
It's out there, and I'm not going to find it for you. Enjoy.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Have absolutely nothing to do with the US bullying Mexico and Canada.

Especially given Trump's excuse of "national security". What exactly has changed in the national security picture that Canada and Mexico are no longer a threat?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,388,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Does the US Government have a right to dictate to businesses how to run their supply chains?

Upvote 0

paul1149

Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Does the US Government have a right to dictate to businesses how to run their supply chains?
In this case, it's only controlled what crosses its borders. And I'm glad it does. China is a ravening beast that if not tamed now, will achieve hegemony in a short time. It's latest gambit is predatory lending to vulnerable nations. We have been bleeding so much money to the dishonest Chinese economy that something had to be done.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟137,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
In this case, it's only controlled what crosses its borders. And I'm glad it does. China is a ravening beast that if not tamed now, will achieve hegemony in a short time. It's latest gambit is predatory lending to vulnerable nations. We have been bleeding so much money to the dishonest Chinese economy that something had to be done.
I heard the same rhetoric about Japan circa 1982.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Donald Trump has backed off his illegal steel and aluminum tariffs imposed on Canada and Mexico a year ago. It would seem that they were actually hurting the USA more than Canada or Mexico.

One year later and Trump is imposing a 10% tariff on aluminum. Maybe now it makes sense for the US?

U.S. President Donald Trump announced his plans to impose a 10-per-cent tariff on Canadian aluminum imports, despite condemnation from aluminum organizations on both sides of the border.

In a statement, President and CEO of the Aluminum Association Tom Dobbins said his organization— which represents aluminum production and jobs in the United States—is “incredibly disappointed,” and said Trump’s move while trying to help will only add volatility to the industry as a whole.

I guess not.

Upvote 0