Trump-backing Pennsylvania county braces for layoffs as coal mine closure threatens hundreds of jobs

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/01/tr...coal-mine-closure-threatens-hundreds-of-jobs/
Local news station WTVA reports that 370 coal miners are expected to be unemployed after a coal mine located in Greene County, Pennsylvania closes for good this year. The mine closing would all but wipe out any gains made in coal mining employment since Trump’s election, as the coal industry has so far added just 500 jobs over the last year. (emph. added)
tulc(thinks "winning" isn't looking nearly as great as some people in Pennsylvania had thought) :sorry:

TerryWoodenpic

Nov 23, 2017
Oldham
✟39,925.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
International Energy Statistics

The usa coal production is now in decline having been remarkably steady since 1980
Even china has peaked after a massive rise over the same period.
World coal production is now in terminal decline.

This does not mean that there are not massive reserves but that they are too costly to extract and to dirty to use.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I live in West Virginia only a few miles south of this mine. The mine is closing because they have mined all the coal that can be easily extracted and it would not be economically feasible to mine the remaining coal, so this closing really has nothing to do with Mr. Trump. Dana Mining to close 4 West Mine near Mt. Morris

Having said that, the fact is that coal mining is loosing ground to much cheaper natural gas, and nothing that Mr. Trump does is going to save a dying industry. Folks in West Virginia and in nearby western PA had claimed that Mr. Obama killed the coal industry. That is untrue; cheap natural gas killed coal.

BTW, if anyone visits Mt. Morris to see the mine that will be closing there is a great breakfast place there. It isn't far off the interstate so hopefully it will survive the mine closing.

• Useful
Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I live in West Virginia only a few miles south of this mine. The mine is closing because they have mined all the coal that can be easily extracted and it would not be economically feasible to mine the remaining coal, so this closing really has nothing to do with Mr. Trump. Dana Mining to close 4 West Mine near Mt. Morris

Having said that, the fact is that coal mining is loosing ground to much cheaper natural gas, and nothing that Mr. Trump does is going to save a dying industry. Folks in West Virginia and in nearby western PA had claimed that Mr. Obama killed the coal industry. That is untrue; cheap natural gas killed coal.

BTW, if anyone visits Mt. Morris to see the mine that will be closing there is a great breakfast place there. It isn't far off the interstate so hopefully it will survive the mine closing.
The problem is that Trump convinced voters that he could save and indeed bring back jobs in the coal industry. He knew this wasn't true when he made the promise to them.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The problem is that Trump convinced voters that he could save and indeed bring back jobs in the coal industry. He knew this wasn't true when he made the promise to them.
Agreed, but as I said many folks here were blaming Obama for the decline in coal before Trump came along instead of recognizing cheap natural gas. Of course Hilary didn’t help herself when she said she was going to shut down the coal mines and put the miners out of work.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0