Aug 18, 2012
✟1,428,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's re-state. Is it a good idea to admit those who oppose your election (and would likely voice those views) three weeks before your election, when the president of their countries suggests that you should not? Trump is the president for the next year and a half. He has done a lot for Israel including recognizing its capital. So, no I don't think that it would have been a good idea to admit political enemies and enemies of the US president 3 weeks before the election.

Yes,should they win in the election, the current government of Israel would have issues and problems with a left wing Democratic president. But, that was always to be the case. Under a left wing administration, the US relationship with Israel would deteriorate greatly.

I will point out that both Republican and Democratic administrations have given BILLIONS of dollars of foreign aid to Israel - for at least a couple of decades. President Obama continued, and even increased this aid despite the frosty treatment by Israel's leader. At the end of the day, I hold President Trump accountable for this decision as he should not be mixing domestic politics (in both countries) with a visit by Congressional members. He once again is dishonoring the role of Congress.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is the 5th (or possibly 6th) thread on this topic, the third in this forum alone..

it's really a bit of overkill at this point I would imagine..
Livestock and Boils were plagues 5 and 6, respectively.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What you have pointed out is that the foreign policy of the US since 1948 has been to be a strong supporter of Israel. Over the past decade or so, the left has moved from the position. And no, with regard to foreign policy, Obama was certainly not part of this effort. Trump's strong support of Israel will help him in the general election. However, it could be made to made almost a non-issue if the Democratic candidate makes clear his/her support for Israel, its leadership, and their capital at Jerusalem. The bottom line is that US has never been a neutral party in the battle between Israel and the Palestinians. The US has always strong favored Israel.

I will point out that both Republican and Democratic administrations have given BILLIONS of dollars of foreign aid to Israel - for at least a couple of decades. President Obama continued, and even increased this aid despite the frosty treatment by Israel's leader. At the end of the day, I hold President Trump accountable for this decision as he should not be mixing domestic politics (in both countries) with a visit by Congressional members. He once again is dishonoring the role of Congress.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,828.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Is there really a bill before the Senate to help prevent US congress folk from interfering with an Israeli election?
No, but there were a number up to prevent foreign agents from interfering with ours. Moscow Mitch and Donald didn't seem to think it was a big enough deal to worry about then, but involve certain types of people and suddenly it is a big deal. Or maybe they care more about other countries' election security than our own? Either way, it isn't a particularly flattering look.

• Winner
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree that the election security bills should be voted on, amended, and passed into law. I look forward to Moscow Mitch being defeated in his Senate bid, or pushed out of office when the Democrats achieve a Senate majority, perhaps in 2022, more likely in 2024.

I also support the right of Israel to pass laws with regard to excluding visitors who would boycott their country.

And strangely to many, I also support the responsibility of the president to discuss foreign and domestic policy issues with the heads of other governments. The PROBLEM, and it is a problem, is that Trump does almost everything in public and by tweet. I believe that it delusional to believe that other US presidents would not have discussed the visit of these two congress folk with leaders of Israel, PRIVATELY.

No, but there were a number up to prevent foreign agents from interfering with ours. Moscow Mitch and Donald didn't seem to think it was a big enough deal to worry about then, but involve certain types of people and suddenly it is a big deal. Or maybe they care more about other countries' election security than our own? Either way, it isn't a particularly flattering look.

• Agree
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The scandal isn't that Israel refused to admit the two American representatives (Bibi is due to stand trial for corruption soon) but that an American president urged him to do so. An American president should stand up for American citizens regardless of party rather than stand with a corrupt foreign head of government - but that's our Donald!

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
1) I disagree. Trump definitely SHOULD be giving his input to foreign leaders, especially our strong allies. The SCANDAL is that Trump doesn't do this in private.

2) Democrats can continue to strongly back this Congresswoman at their peril. Her views and the views of her backers in Israel are not those that the Democrats should be supporting. Trump is very happy with the publicity given to this "scandal". The more press time the Squad gets, the better it is for Trump. We are just being hoodwinked and diverted. This should have been evident when the congresswoman petitioned the Israeli government for permission to visit her grandmother, accepting the condition of not speaking while in Israel, and then made clear that her request had nothing to do with her grandmother. Perhaps the scandal is a congressman not visiting her grandmother when a foreign government allows this as an exception to their laws.

3) BTW, the congresswoman had and will have many other opportunities to visit Israel as part of US congressional visits. She is not interested in respecting the UNITED STATES and its views. Her views are her own and of her backers.

The media are mum on the virulently anti-Semitic group behind Rashida Tlaib’s and Ilhan Omar’s since-canceled Israel trip

The scandal isn't that Israel refused to admit the two American representatives (Bibi is due to stand trial for corruption soon) but that an American president urged him to do so. An American president should stand up for American citizens regardless of party rather than stand with a corrupt foreign head of government - but that's our Donald!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1) I disagree. Trump definitely SHOULD be giving his input to foreign leaders, especially our strong allies. The SCANDAL is that Trump doesn't do this in private.
Giving his input is one thing; using his position as president against his perceived political enemies, American representatives is beyond the pale.

2) Democrats can continue to strongly back this Congresswoman at their peril. Her views and the views of her backers in Israel are not those that the Democrats should be supporting.
Which "this" congresswoman? There are two separate ones that he spoke out against to a foreign government.

Trump is very happy with the publicity given to this "scandal". The more press time the Squad gets, the better it is for Trump. We are just being hoodwinked and diverted. This should have been evident when the congresswoman petitioned the Israeli government for permission to visit her grandmother, accepting the condition of not speaking while in Israel, and then made clear that her request had nothing to do with her grandmother. Perhaps the scandal is a congressman not visiting her grandmother when a foreign government allows this as an exception to their laws.
Oh, then you are speaking of Tlaib and not Omar. No, the scandal is not not visiting her grandmother under these conditions.

3) BTW, the congresswoman had and will have many other opportunities to visit Israel as part of US congressional visits. She is not interested in respecting the UNITED STATES and its views. Her views are her own and of her backers.
What? What views does the US have? She represents her district as she should.

Baloney - neither congresswoman is "virulently anti-Semitic"; that's a right-wing trope and nothing more. Furthermore, the Washington Examiner claims that MIFTAH is "virulently anti-Semitic" on no better evidence than a NYT op-ed which sites the FreeBeacon's article on MIFTAH retracting and apologizing for a terrible article - hardly "virulently anti-Semitic". And you unquestioningly parrot it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In fairness, see below for MIFTAH's apology for the statement on their website referred to by the right wing press.

MIFTAH - MIFTAH Statement

The organization does not have openly anti-Semitic views. The organization is a public voice for a Palestine negotiator.
================
With regard to the congresswoman, I have no reason to debate her views. They speak for themselves. In any case, Pelosi has spoken to her about them. No changes have been evident. This is very different from AOC, who is clearly trying to work with the party, work on legislation, represent her district, and be a future far left leader of the party.

Baloney - neither congresswoman is "virulently anti-Semitic"; that's a right-wing trope and nothing more. Furthermore, the Washington Examiner claims that MIFTAH is "virulently anti-Semitic" on no better evidence than a NYT op-ed which sites the FreeBeacon's article on MIFTAH retracting and apologizing for a terrible article - hardly "virulently anti-Semitic". And you unquestioningly parrot it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums