Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sorry but the retired General is the loser for believing the Atlantic and not accurately understanding when Trump said McCain was a loser.

Fact check: Donald Trump did call John McCain a loser
After Trump recalled McCain saying something that Trump considered an insult to him and his supporters, "I said, 'Somebody should run against McCain,' who has been, in my opinion, not so hot. And I supported him for president! I raised a million dollars for him. That's a lot of money! I supported him. He lost. He let us down. But he lost. So I never liked him much after that, because I don't like losers."

Amid audience laughter, the moderator, Republican pollster Frank Luntz, then interjected, "But he's a war hero!"

Trump responded, "He’s not a war hero. He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren’t captured."

Fact check: President Donald Trump called John McCain a loser

We all get it. And now, more people have confirmed that Trump called fallen American soldiers "losers."

The Atlantic reported on Thursday that President Donald Trump made derogatory remarks about fallen members of the military, going so far as to call them "suckers" and "losers."
Fox News on Friday said the report was fabricated and criticized The Atlantic's use of anonymous sources.

However, one of its own — national security correspondent Jennifer Griffin — said parts of the damning report were verified to her by two people who previously worked for the Trump administration.
"According to one former senior Trump administration official: 'When the President spoke about the Vietnam War, he said, 'It was a stupid war. Anyone who went was a sucker,'" Griffin tweeted.
Griffin also reported learning that Trump "just hated" Sen. John McCain and thought it was "not a good look" to include the "wounded guys" in a July 4 military parade.

Trump appeared to be aware of Griffin's reporting and called on Fox News to fire her.
Journalists who covered the White House responded by defending Griffin's credentials and her reporting.
Fox News reported Trump never said that dead US troops were 'suckers,' but the network's national security correspondent said ex-officials confirmed he did

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Trump: Americans Who Died in War Are ‘Losers’ and ‘Suckers’

We already know what Trump thinks of those servicemen/women taken prisoner, his contempt for the nation's military leaders, "Gold Star" parents and his avoidance of the draft due to "bone spurs" - the true "losers" and "suckers" are those who have succumbed to the charisma of a "strong, authoritarian leader" and providing him with their unquestioning allegiance!,

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Fact check: Donald Trump did call John McCain a loser
After Trump recalled McCain saying something that Trump considered an insult to him and his supporters, "I said, 'Somebody should run against McCain,' who has been, in my opinion, not so hot. And I supported him for president! I raised a million dollars for him. That's a lot of money! I supported him. He lost. He let us down. But he lost. So I never liked him much after that, because I don't like losers."

Amid audience laughter, the moderator, Republican pollster Frank Luntz, then interjected, "But he's a war hero!"

Trump responded, "He’s not a war hero. He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren’t captured."

We all get it. And now, more people have confirmed that Trump called fallen American soldiers "losers."

The Atlantic reported on Thursday that President Donald Trump made derogatory remarks about fallen members of the military, going so far as to call them "suckers" and "losers."
Fox News on Friday said the report was fabricated and criticized The Atlantic's use of anonymous sources.

However, one of its own — national security correspondent Jennifer Griffin — said parts of the damning report were verified to her by two people who previously worked for the Trump administration.
"According to one former senior Trump administration official: 'When the President spoke about the Vietnam War, he said, 'It was a stupid war. Anyone who went was a sucker,'" Griffin tweeted.
Griffin also reported learning that Trump "just hated" Sen. John McCain and thought it was "not a good look" to include the "wounded guys" in a July 4 military parade.

Trump appeared to be aware of Griffin's reporting and called on Fox News to fire her.
Journalists who covered the White House responded by defending Griffin's credentials and her reporting.
Fox News reported Trump never said that dead US troops were 'suckers,' but the network's national security correspondent said ex-officials confirmed he did

Your own post confirms that when Trump called McCain a loser it was about the 2008 election, not about his military service.

For calling US troops suckers, he claims he never said it and the Atlantic never revealed the source.

If he call those who served in Vietnam as being suckered in by the Government, well Trump would be right.

We were all suckered in. Same with the veterans who served in Dubya's Iraq War. The entire nation was suckered in and the Americans who died there, died in vein.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Your own post confirms that when Trump called McCain a loser it was about the 2008 election, not about his military service.

Trump denied calling McCain a loser. And of course, he lied about that.

Let's take a look...

Trump, who has indeed called the late John McCain a "loser," (unsurprisingly) lied to the American people on Thursday by falsely claiming he has never done so.

In tweets not worth embedding here, or anywhere, Trump said on Thursday that he "never called John a loser."

For anyone who is believing Donald Trump over the multiple anonymous individuals who said that he repeatedly called John McCain a “loser,” there is literally a video of Trump calling McCain a loser! #TraitorTrumppic.twitter.com/BQ2ZMb85WN

For calling US troops suckers, he claims he never said it and the Atlantic never revealed the source.

Fox's national security correspondent confirmed the fact.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If he call those who served in Vietnam as being suckered in by the Government, well Trump would be right.

We were all suckered in. Same with the veterans who served in Dubya's Iraq War. The entire nation was suckered in and the Americans who died there, died in vein.

That's a lie, too. I, for example, knew it was a mistake. I just didn't have an honorable way to avoid serving. Neither did most other men who went. Trump didn't care how he got out of it, he just took the most expedient way. Honor and patriotism mean nothing to him. That's why he calls those who served honorably, "suckers" and "losers."

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This just in;

Atlantic Editor Admits Story About Trump Disparaging Fallen Soldiers Could Be Wrong
Atlantic Editor Admits Story About Trump Disparaging Fallen Soldiers Could Be Wrong

From your link:
When presented with an excerpt from former national security adviser John Bolton’s book which details how the weather was the cause for cancellation of the visit to the cemetery, not a decision by POTUS over his hair, Goldberg conceded, “I’m sure all of those things are true.”

Here's the interview. It's not what your source claims:

He never said his story could be wrong. He reiterated what his sources said, and the story was confirmed by Fox's national security correspondent. It was also confirmed by the Washington Post, which also found that Trump asked why the U.S. should bother looking for soldiers who might have been captured, since they failed. They lied to you about that. When someone tells you something you really want to be true, be very skeptical, and check on it. Could save you a lot of embarrassment next time.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
From your link:
When presented with an excerpt from former national security adviser John Bolton’s book which details how the weather was the cause for cancellation of the visit to the cemetery, not a decision by POTUS over his hair, Goldberg conceded, “I’m sure all of those things are true.”

Here's the interview. It's not what your source claims:

He never said his story could be wrong. He reiterated what his sources said, and the story was confirmed by Fox's national security correspondent. It was also confirmed by the Washington Post, which also found that Trump asked why the U.S. should bother looking for soldiers who might have been captured, since they failed. They lied to you about that. When someone tells you something you really want to be true, be very skeptical, and check on it. Could save you a lot of embarrassment next time.

He admitted that the story of Trump disparaging soldiers could be false:

Jeffrey Goldberg, Editor-in-Chief for The Atlantic, confessed that the central claim in his publication’s reprehensible hit piece on the President could very well be false.

The Atlantic column starts off with a claim that the President did not want to visit the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery near Paris in 2018, because “his hair would become disheveled in the rain” and that “he did not believe it important to honor American war dead.”

Admitting that the claim in Bolton's book that it was the weather that caused Trump to cancel the visit to the cemetery is true is a different part of the story and Bolton himself stated that the Atlantic accusation that it Trump canceled the trip because of his hair was false.

You really should admit that Goldberg was wrong about Trump disparaging soldiers.

Remember, it was Goldberg who falsely reported about John Kerry and the Swift Boat accusations back in the 2012 election

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
He admitted that the story of Trump disparaging soldiers could be false:

Well, let's take a look again...

Nope. That's not what he said. They lied to you.

You really should admit that Goldberg did not say his story might not be true. Fact is, he didn't. He did say weather was a problem for Trump, according to people who were there, he was concerned about his hair. Goldberg added that it wasn't a problem for Marine one to get there; in fact, Marines were offended that Trump claimed they couldn't safely fly a helicopter in the rain. But as you know, Trump has no scruples about disparaging our troops.

Remember, it was Goldberg who falsely reported about John Kerry and the Swift Boat accusations back in the 2012 election

I'll allow you one bunny trail. Show us that. Then we'll get back to Trump's repeated description of our troops as "losers" and "suckers."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The president and his allies have dismissed the report in The Atlantic as false.

The allegations, sourced anonymously, describe multiple offensive comments by the president toward fallen and captured U.S. service members, including calling World War I dead at an American military cemetery in France “losers” and “suckers” in 2018.

Jennifer Griffin, a national security correspondent for Fox News, confirmed the president’s remarks Friday.

“According to one former senior Trump administration official: ’When the President spoke about the Vietnam War, he said, ‘It was a stupid war. Anyone who went was a sucker,’” Griffin said.
Fox News confirms Trump mocked US troops as ‘suckers’; Biden calls him a disgrace

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well, let's take a look again...

Nope. That's not what he said. They lied to you.

You really should admit that Goldberg did not say his story might not be true. Fact is, he didn't. He did say weather was a problem for Trump, according to people who were there, he was concerned about his hair. Goldberg added that it wasn't a problem for Marine one to get there; in fact, Marines were offended that Trump claimed they couldn't safely fly a helicopter in the rain. But as you know, Trump has no scruples about disparaging our troops.

I'll allow you one bunny trail. Show us that. Then we'll get back to Trump's repeated description of our troops as "losers" and "suckers."

The video you keep reposting is older than his admission that the story could be false.

Also from the article:

Claims that, by now, have been denied by 21 people overall, and over a dozen who had first-hand knowledge of events that took place during the trip in question.

You're calling the Political Insider liars, so now it's up to you to prove the lied

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The video you keep reposting is older than his admission that the story could be false.

It was the link on the website you linked. Your link also said this:
Goldberg Still Stands By His Reporting

Did you even read it?

Claims that, by now, have been denied by 21 people overall, and over a dozen who had first-hand knowledge of events that took place during the trip in question.

As you know, Trump got all his underlings to deny it, but the Fox News reported that people who were actually there, confirmed it.

Jennifer Griffin, a national security correspondent for Fox News, confirmed the president’s remarks Friday.

“According to one former senior Trump administration official: ’When the President spoke about the Vietnam War, he said, ‘It was a stupid war. Anyone who went was a sucker,’” Griffin said.
Fox News confirms Trump mocked US troops as ‘suckers’; Biden calls him a disgrace

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It was the link on the website you linked.

As you know, Trump got all his underlings to deny it, but the Fox News reported that people who were actually there, confirmed it.

It was on the link because they were giving context to the fact that he now admits the story could be false.

I don't know if 21 people are willing to lie for Trump. That's your accusation which of course, you won't be able to prove.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It was on the link because they were giving context to the fact that he now admits the story could be false.

As you now realize, he never said that. That's why we won't ever see a quote from him saying it. In fact, your link said the opposite.

"Goldberg Still Stands By His Reporting"

Did you even read it?

As you learned, even Fox News' national security correspondent comfirmed the Atlantic story. You need to see that, again?

This revelation, coupled with Trump's admission that he lied to us about the coronavirus pandemic, and how serious it was, is going to enrage a lot of Americans, particularly those who served honorably or have relatives who did.

And those who have lost loved ones because Trump tried to cover up how serious the pandemic is, are likely equally outraged.

Trump had the nerve to compare himself with Winston Churchill, because he lied to us about the true danger of the coronavirus. Churchill never lied to the British people about the terrible danger the were in. He was encouraging, but blunt:

Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and if, which I do not for a moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.

Can you imagine that kind of honesty and courage from Donald Trump? No sane person would imagine so. It's another example of Trump's ongoing mental disorder that he imagines so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It was the link on the website you linked. Your link also said this:
Goldberg Still Stands By His Reporting

Did you even read it?

Goldberg stood by his reporting after Bolton had denied the president changed his plans because of his hair. This was when the first article from the Atlantic came out.

Goldberg admits that his four, off-the-record, anonymous sources may not have been correct and that the visit was indeed called off due to weather.

Did you read it ?

But read read the first paragraph of the article;

Remember – this is the lede to the piece and sets up every other argument throughout.

The article is merely reviewing what took place and how Goldberg now claims Jeffrey Goldberg, Editor-in-Chief for The Atlantic, confessed that the central claim in his publication’s reprehensible hit piece on the President could very well be false.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
ln your own link, Goldberg repeatedly stands by his sources and his story.

Goldberg admits that his four, off-the-record, anonymous sources may not have been correct

Not according to the article you linked. Since you're unable to come up with any checkable statement by Goldberg saying so, and since your own link says otherwise, there's not much reason for us to believe your story.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Goldberg admits that his four, off-the-record, anonymous sources may not have been correct and that the visit was indeed called off due to weather.
This is what Goldberg is admitting to.
Not according to the article you linked.
The poster is correct, Goldberg admitted that his sources may have been wrong about why the visit was called off and it was due to the weather.

But in the end...
Still, Goldberg is standing by the bulk of the story.

@JimR-OCDS
There is still this to consider...
Griffin, a national security correspondent for Fox News, found individuals to validate key aspects of the story, sharing her reporting on Twitter and on anchor Bret Baier’s news show.
In a nine-tweet thread Friday afternoon, Griffin cited two unnamed former senior administration officials who she said confirmed for her many key aspects of Atlantic Editor in Chief Jeffrey Goldberg’s story about Trump’s cancellation of a trip to Aisne-Marne American Cemetery while visiting Paris in 2018.
“According to one former senior Trump administration official: ‘When the President spoke about the Vietnam War, he said, ‘It was a stupid war. Anyone who went was a sucker,’ ” she wrote. “When asked IF the President could have driven to the Aisne-Marne Cemetery, this former official said confidently: ‘The President drives a lot. The other world leaders drove to the cemeteries. He just didn’t want to go.’ ”

Later, she noted on Baier’s “Special Report” show that she was unable to confirm “the most salacious allegation,” in Goldberg’s story, “that the President described the American war dead at the Aisne-Marne Cemetery as ‘suckers’ and ‘losers.’ ”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/medi...ack-over-her-confirmation-atlantic-reporting/

When Griffin was attacked by the President, FoxNews people and others supported her saying she is a terrific reporter, truthful, ethical, a class act, etc.

What do I think, I think, just like Biden, that IF these things are true, it's very bad (those are my words, not Biden's, but he did say IF they are true).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is what Goldberg is admitting to.

Goldberg said that it was called off because of the rain. The disagreement is whether or not the Marines could have flown a helicopter in the rain,and whether or not Trump was worried about his hair.

Upvote 0