Trump again calls for readmitting Russia to G7, blames Obama for Crimea's annexation

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trump again calls for readmitting Russia to G7, blames Obama for Crimea's annexation - CNNPolitics
Russia was suspended from the group -- then known as the G8 -- in 2014 after the majority of member countries allied against its annexation of Crimea. It was the first violation of a European country's borders since World War II.
Trump suggested that Russia be allowed back into the global group despite their continued occupation of Crimea.
"I would say that the G8 is a more meaningful group than the G7, absolutely," Trump said. He also blamed former US President Barack Obama for Russia's move into that nation.
"You'll have to ask Obama, because he was the one that let Crimea get away" he said when asked about the annexation. "He allowed Russia to take Crimea. I may have had a much different attitude."
Former Obama National Security Council spokesman Ned Price told CNN that "today crystallizes precisely why Putin was so eager to see Trump elected."
"For Putin, this is return on his investment, and it's safe to say that his investment has paid off beyond even his wildest dreams," he said in a statement to CNN.
Show of hands of anyone who didn't suspect that President Trump was going to blame President Obama for this? :swoon:
tulc(anyone at all?) :wave:

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I read about this on Reddit earlier. This was the top comment:
So in two sentences he literally said:

We need to support Russia and give them no penalties for continuing to illegally occupy Crimea

and

Obama did nothing to stop Russia from illegally occupying Crimea.

I'm starting to look like my dog tilting his head trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

Upvote 0

Thomas Schular

May 30, 2018
United States
✟8,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trump again calls for readmitting Russia to G7, blames Obama for Crimea's annexation - CNNPolitics

Show of hands of anyone who didn't suspect that President Trump was going to blame President Obama for this? :swoon:
tulc(anyone at all?) :wave:

He's not a Russian puppet.

He said that during the debate. No puppet, no puppet.
Hillary is the puppet.

You can't convince trump supporters that they elected an easily manipulated narcissist. Trump even mocked his supporters and inflated his own ego before the election. He pointed out he could shoot someone and it wouldn't change things. He bragged about sexually assaulting women and they shrugged it off. Women came out about being sexually assaulted. Teenagers said he would walk through dressing rooms to stare at underage girls.

Honestly, he could round up Muslims into concentration camps at this point and his followers would still defend it. He could say he can pardon himself... wait.. he already did that.

I appreciate you keeping fair minded individuals informed. But please know, you can't convince Trump supporters of regretting their vote.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I read about this on Reddit earlier. This was the top comment:
So in two sentences he literally said:

We need to support Russia and give them no penalties for continuing to illegally occupy Crimea

and

Obama did nothing to stop Russia from illegally occupying Crimea.

I'm starting to look like my dog tilting his head trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

Who was President when the US instigated a coup d'etat in the Ukraine that made Russia's annexation of the Crimea necessary?

• Agree
Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who was President when the US instigated a coup d'etat in the Ukraine that made Russia's annexation of the Crimea necessary?
You mean this annexation?
Annexation of Crimea by the Russian Federation - Wikipedia
On 22–23 February 2014, Russian President Vladimir Putin convened an all-night meeting with security services chiefs to discuss the extrication of deposed Ukrainian President, Viktor Yanukovych. At the end of the meeting Putin remarked that "we must start working on returning Crimea to Russia".[36] On 23 February, pro-Russian demonstrations were held in the Crimean city of Sevastopol. On 27 February masked Russian troops without insignia[2] took over the Supreme Council (parliament) of Crimea,[37][38] and captured strategic sites across Crimea, which led to the installation of the pro-Russian Aksyonov government in Crimea, the conducting of the Crimean status referendum and the declaration of Crimea's independence on 16 March 2014.[39][40] Russia formally incorporated Crimea as two federal subjects of the Russian Federation with effect from 18 March 2014.
I particularly liked the part about masked Russians without insignia. I also kind of liked your argument about "that made Russia's annexation of the Crimea necessary" it sounds just like what every big government (and most abusive husbands for that matter) uses to justify their use of power to take away from those weaker then them anything they want. "If "X" hadn't put those fool ideas into their head I wouldn't have had be so hard on them!". :wave:
tulc(understands President Trump working so hard to support Russia, they sure worked hard getting him into office) ;)

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Apparently, this President feels that having Russia in the G7...and keeping sanctions on Russia at the same time is not unthinkable. :yawn:
...while the rest of the G-7 don't. And unlike Presidential elections here in the US the side with less support doesn't always get to decide things. :)
tulc(is just sayn') :sorry:

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Trump is enabling a despotic regime.
Half of the countries in the world have despotic regimes, and every president in my lifetime has continued to have diplomatic relations with them (and trade, in most cases), so I don't think there is much here to stew over.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Half of the countries in the world have despotic regimes, and every president in my lifetime has continued to have diplomatic relations with them (and trade, in most cases), so I don't think there is much here to stew over.

Now who is a moral relativist?

The United States should never be countenancing a regime that poisons people simply for askig fair questions about its government.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
US backed coup forces violently sieze Kiev from the elected government and then send out armed forces to subdue to the rest of the country. And Russia's the bad guy for what? Not dutifully fleeing?
Link? :scratch:
tulc(always nice to have one) :)

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I could never understand why the people of the US believe Trump to be the best leader they could find to lead the country. It dismays me.

Zoii, the majority of folks in the US don't believe Trump is the best leader we could find to lead the country. We don't have mandatory voting like I believe y'all do in Australia. Millions of eligible voters sat on their butts on election day on account of that. We have an antiquated system where it's not the person who wins the most votes from the people who wins the presidency. Millions more American people voted for Hillary Clinton than for Donald Trump. The real problem was in the primaries, which had really awful voter turnout. That's how we ended up with 2 terrible candidates on the final ballot. None of of our living Presidents or Presidential candidates, including all the Republicans, voted for Trump.

• Informative
Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟756,418.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
.... We don't have mandatory voting like I believe y'all do in Australia....

You're correct - we do have mandatory voting in Australia at all levels - Federal, State and Local Government. There's supposed to be a fine and maybe even a prison sentence for those who don't vote, although I've no idea how rigorously non-voters are followed up by the Electoral office.

But even then there are inequities in how votes are tallied. We have parties doing preference deals, in which a minor candidate can allocate some of their votes to another candidate. Then there are donkey votes (number the slip straight down the page), deliberate non-voters (mark the voting slip so it's invalid) etc.

In federal and most state parliaments, there are two houses of parliament - House of Representatives, and the Senate (lower and upper houses modeled on the UK Westminster system just as there is in the US - Congress and the Senate) and sometimes the Representatives are loaded one way and the Senate is biased the other way. Sometimes a minor party holds the balance of power. And so on.

I doubt if it's possible to come up with a perfect electoral system.

However this doesn't mean the people who would make the best leaders are voted in. I think there are people out there who would be better national leaders but who are not even even interested in politics.

I suppose when it comes to debates about national interest, I'd have to fall back on a quote by an Australian politician named Sir Paul Hasluck. Paul Hasluck - Wikipedia

To save me having to go digging around in my overcrowded bookshelf to find the book, and then trying to find the page, I'm trying to remember as much of the quote as possible without looking it up, so it may not be completely accurate, but here goes -

"The bedrock you have to reach in international affairs is the national interest. A country's national interest need not be without altruism, but if you loosen your tongue or unsheath your pen before you have gotten down to this bedrock, you may do nothing for society at large and at the worst bring disaster onto your own country."

Something like that - the point is that he was saying that for every nation, the bedrock they need to reach when involved in international affairs is their own national interest.

Which is something neither Trump or Trudeau seem to remember when dealing with each other.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I'm still a little unclear about your point. That article you posted seems to support...well, it seems to support both of us actually.

There was a US-backed coup d'etat against the lawfully elected government of the Ukraine in 2014. Everything that happened in the Ukraine since then was the fallout from that.

Upvote 0