Trump’s DHS Starts to Import 85,000 H-1B Graduate Gig Workers

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
"President Donald Trump’s deputies announced Friday that they had begun the process of importing 85,000 H-1B gig workers to take white-collar jobs that will be needed after October by the millions of American graduates who are now losing jobs in the coronavirus crash. ... “If the H-1B program is just for filling jobs that Americans cannot fill amid for labor shortages, then this would not be happening,” said John Miano, a lawyer with the Immigration Law Reform Institute." (source)

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There is some seriously whiny buck-passing in that article:

“This is just an unspeakable action,” said Marie Larson, a co-founder of the American Workers Coalition, which opposes the many visa worker programs that have transferred at least one million white-collar jobs to foreign workers. “I don’t believe President Trump ordered this — the swamp went ahead with this,” she said.

“The people surrounding President Trump don’t have his back — they are not helping him keep his campaign promise,” Larson said.

What sort of mindless sycophancy does it take to absolve an executive like this?

• Agree
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
There is some seriously whiny buck-passing in that article:

What sort of mindless sycophancy does it take to absolve an executive like this?

Same thing happened in Germany in the late 30’s/early 40’s. Unpopular measures were often blamed by supporters on subordinates with the claim ‘oh the Fuhrer would never have wanted this’. Not that I’m in any way comparing this fine president with a fascist or his supporters with mindless fascist sympathizers. That would be the last thing I’d ever do.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Somehow I don't think we will have labor shortages.

We already have labor shortages. I'm an employer. Unemployment rate is (was?) so low that I can't hire all the staff I need.

Who knows how COVID-19 is going to affect the workforce? Maybe enough workers will die we won't have enough? Maybe enough businesses will close will have an abundance of unemployed?

Upvote 0