Feb 9, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟10,237.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hey y'all, pesky Drew here to stretch you all and just ponder a little... it doesn't take a genius to discover that there is probably more worship music than ever before... and that in general is a good thing... I think...

BUT and this is a matter of opinion... it got me thinking... just how many will go on to be classic songs? There were thousands upon thousands of hyms written, and although many still are in circulation, there may be 100, 200, 300 or more that are still being sung and touching lives centuries on...

In 20, 30, 40, 100 years time, what sort of songs of today's generation will remain... IMO here are just a few classics from years gone by

Hymns... heaps but here are just a few
How Great Thou Art
Just As I Am
Great Is Thy Faithfulness
Nothing But The Blood
When I Survey The Wondrous Cross
And Can It Be
To God Be The Glory (Fanny Crosby)
It Is Well

60's - 80's
Bless His Holy Name
My Tribute
Awesome God
Majesty (jack hayford)
O the Blood Of Jesus
He Is Lord
Jesus, Name Above All Names

90's
Shout To The Lord
I Give You My Heart
Agnus Dei
I Could Sing Of Your Love Forever
Above All
Heart Of Worship
Undignified

So what do I think will survive from say 2000 on? here's a couple
Here I Am To Worship
Consuming Fire?
God Of Wonders?
How Great Is Our God
majesty (delirious)
Worthy Is The Lamb (hillsong)

Soo here is your task.. have a good think and put down the songs you reckon are or will be classics... so you can nominate songs from years gone by or choose a few from right now that might go on to be sung for years and generations to come... please don't just put favourites down... but seriously think about songs that are about, both old and new... and put down the ones that you think will stand the test of time! Thanks y'all hope we all enjoy this!

misdeavious

Oct 11, 2005
✟15,522.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
so...awesome idea 'drew'...i haven't had that much time to think, but these are some of the ones i think have, would or should stand the test of time.

turn your eyes upon Jesus
your love oh Lord
i can only imagine (mercyme)
fairest Lord Jesus
Jesus, lover of my soul

and not sure about these ones...they seem to have lasted a while in our church, but then again we have a new song almost every week! (slight exaggeration)
free
all day
hallelujah (fayd)

Upvote 0

misdeavious

Oct 11, 2005
✟15,522.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i'll get some more later...looks about an occasion 4 a search...no wait, a scour!

what do you reckon about 'every move i make', 'i'm trading my sorrows' (with the all inclusive 'yes Lord, yes Lord, yes, yes Lord'), or 'the battle belongs to the Lord'? ok, i am so joking...they were the songs i refused to play or sing at church, but i was in charge of the songs when i was leading so whenever 'God was moving me' they went...hehe

Upvote 0

LivingWorship

My soul dances in freedom, my heart forever sings
Feb 9, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟10,237.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Um.. to be honest I think trading my sorrows could get a guernsey... it's a tad repetitive but hey so is everyday - joel "borrowed" trading my sorrows' chords... anyhow I think because it's just so different lyrically it probably could sneak in. Worship songs these days are getting a bit mundane lyrically and that song is really refreshing... giving up all our humanness for His eternal glory, that's what it's all about... yeah count it in!

The Battle Belongs To The Lord... maybe but it's not as infectious as trading my sorrows... every move I make is infectious but I don't reckon it's classic... good song, not a great song. IMO of course

Upvote 0

LivingWorship

Feb 9, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟10,237.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
No I got you... it's just my opinion... look I doubt I would mention any of those three as "classics" but I stand by what I said... modern worship is getting a bit boring lyrically... everything sounds like everything else... so that's why I said Trading My Sorrows is at least a bit different - we had a concert just last Saturday and played it for the first time and our church was like why haven't you ever played that, the song is amazing!! So there you go... different strokes for different folks... but don't die on me, now :p

Upvote 0

LivingWorship

Feb 9, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟10,237.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
misdeavious said:
i'm so proud of myself...i'm the last poster in all of the first 10 threads...one by one i'm taking over the world!!! mwahahaha

ok, i neeeeeeeedddd sleep!!!
hehe.. not if I can help it! World domination here i come

Upvote 0

misdeavious

Oct 11, 2005
✟15,522.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
are you seriously putting 'trading my sorrows' in? ok...i'm sure a lot of people enjoy it...but then again, perhaps it's my view of the song, as i've only ever heard it in my old church

what about 'carry me' (marty sampson)
i don't know what this one's called or who it's by, but here are the lyrics:
i'm here to meet with you
come and meet with me
i'm here to find you
reveal yourself to me
as i stand you make me strong
as i long draw me to your arms
as i wait and seek your face
you come, you come and fill this place

i like it anyway...got a feeling it might be ten shekel shirt

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LivingWorship

Feb 9, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟10,237.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
you right, it is ten shekel shirt and for me, they didn't cut it... but I'm rethinking my position on them... that one is called "Meet Me Here" - again, not terribly original but infectious... my fave of theirs is a song called "Unashamed Love" - that is a great chorus

You are worthy...

Of a childlike faith and of my honest praise
And of my unashamed love
Of a holy life and of my sacrifice
And of my unashamed love

Carry Me... uh, yeah that's a bit different i guess, although it's not one I recall much being said about, then and there... then again, that might lend it to having a longer life... I personally like the song, ATM it's not really being sung at our church but then again what is?

"the steps of a good man - " somebody shoot the piano!!!!

j/k seriously it could return. no doubt about it.

Upvote 0

LivingWorship

Feb 9, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟10,237.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Forever is tops - especially YAMW :thumbsup:

O you'd have to read the most embarrassing church moments thread... I was saying how my pastor got up and sang that song from the crowd and the whole church joined in, there was no need for us musos!!! it's an old gospel number that is really one of those thump the old piano ones... so I say shoot the piano!!! anywho...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

misdeavious

Oct 11, 2005
✟15,522.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
we used to have this guy at one of my other churches who sat at the very back but sang VERY loud and VERY out of tune!!! if it weren't for the words on the projector i wouldn't know what song we were singing, and everyone was prolly out of key coz i couldn't hear the muso's enough as it was!

Upvote 0