True saving faith is proven by fearing the Lord!

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
True Grace
“For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves;
it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.” (Ephesians 2:8-9)

From all of the NT, we need to understand that God’s grace is given
when believers INITIALLY receive the precious Holy Spirit within.
However, this grace/salvation is NOT guaranteed to last forever!
Believers can be cut off by God, and grace can be lost …
For example:
“You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law;
you have fallen from grace.” (Galatians 5:4)

False Grace
Grace-only, cheap-grace, hyper-grace, easy-believism are called antinomianism!
This is the notion that a one-time justification saves … apart from sanctification.
But, this is an “incomplete” understanding of God’s wonderful free gift of grace!
It is incomplete because God’s grace is intended to be made “complete” by the
believer doing his part in his salvation … co-operating with the precious Holy Spirit
… as He works to fully sanctify the believer unto holiness!
The problem with easy-believism is it allows those who are NOT walking in obedience
to live comfortably with a false sense of assurance leading to tragedy (as in Matthew 7:21-23).
It encourages people living in hypocrisy, disobedience, and sin, by offering them a false assurance.
QUESTION … Why would deceived “grace-only” people fear the Lord?

Some “fear of the Lord” Scripture verses

“some ungodly people have wormed their way into your churches,
saying that God’s marvelous grace allows us to live immoral lives.”
(Jude 4, NLT)

“And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather
fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” (Matthew 10:28)

“… work out your own salvation with fear and trembling” (Philippians 2:12)

“… beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit,
perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1)

“Let us be thankful and please God by worshiping him with holy fear and awe.
For our God is a devouring fire.” (Hebrews 12:28-29)

“And His mercy is on those who fear Him from generation to generation.” (Luke 1:50)

“And walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit …” (Acts 9:31)

“But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness
is accepted by Him.” (Acts 10:35)

“Do not be haughty, but fear. For if God did not spare the natural branches,
He may not spare you either. (Romans 11:20-21)

“… be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.”
… conduct yourselves during the time of your stay here in fear” (1 Peter 1:15-17)

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge” (Proverbs 1:7 and 9:10)

“I will put My fear in their hearts so that they will not depart from Me.” (Jeremiah 32:40)

Dr. Michael Brown explains the critical danger of hyper-grace
on several of Sid Roth’s TV programs, which are available on YouTube.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
True saving faith is proven by fearing the Lord!
Hello BCsenior, Satan and his demons believe, and they fear the Lord, so much so that they "tremble" because they do. If true saving faith is proven by a believer's fear of God, does that mean that the devil and his demons are saved :scratch:

Thanks!

--David

James 2
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Upvote 0

Cross Over the Lake

Jan 12, 2020
Lake Havasu City
✟17,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
Great OP! The part about falling out of grace. I think about the people who are weekend warriors that spend the rest of their week away from the Lord. I think it’s easy for some to fall out of grace without even realizing it.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Amen, BCsenior. A Godly "fear of the Lord" is a humbling of oneself, laying down our own pride and stubborn willfulness, bowing to GOD'S will, and bowing down before the living God, and worshiping and glorifying Him, and thus obeying Him.

It's right in sync with why those who do, will hear "Well done thy good and faithful servant" and those who do not will hear "Depart from Me, I never knew you." We can KNOW God if we do not have a Godly "fear" of Him.

This verse comes to mind:

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding." ~Pr 9:10

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
True Grace
“For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves;
it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.” (Ephesians 2:8-9)

From all of the NT, we need to understand that God’s grace is given
when believers INITIALLY receive the precious Holy Spirit within.
However, this grace/salvation is NOT guaranteed to last forever!
Believers can be cut off by God, and grace can be lost …
For example:
“You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law;
you have fallen from grace.” (Galatians 5:4)

False Grace
Grace-only, cheap-grace, hyper-grace, easy-believism are called antinomianism!
This is the notion that a one-time justification saves … apart from sanctification.
But, this is an “incomplete” understanding of God’s wonderful free gift of grace!
It is incomplete because God’s grace is intended to be made “complete” by the
believer doing his part in his salvation … co-operating with the precious Holy Spirit
… as He works to fully sanctify the believer unto holiness!
The problem with easy-believism is it allows those who are NOT walking in obedience
to live comfortably with a false sense of assurance leading to tragedy (as in Matthew 7:21-23).
It encourages people living in hypocrisy, disobedience, and sin, by offering them a false assurance.
QUESTION … Why would deceived “grace-only” people fear the Lord?

Some “fear of the Lord” Scripture verses

“some ungodly people have wormed their way into your churches,
saying that God’s marvelous grace allows us to live immoral lives.”
(Jude 4, NLT)

“And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather
fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” (Matthew 10:28)

“… work out your own salvation with fear and trembling” (Philippians 2:12)

“… beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit,
perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1)

“Let us be thankful and please God by worshiping him with holy fear and awe.
For our God is a devouring fire.” (Hebrews 12:28-29)

“And His mercy is on those who fear Him from generation to generation.” (Luke 1:50)

“And walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit …” (Acts 9:31)

“But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness
is accepted by Him.” (Acts 10:35)

“Do not be haughty, but fear. For if God did not spare the natural branches,
He may not spare you either. (Romans 11:20-21)

“… be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.”
… conduct yourselves during the time of your stay here in fear” (1 Peter 1:15-17)

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge” (Proverbs 1:7 and 9:10)

“I will put My fear in their hearts so that they will not depart from Me.” (Jeremiah 32:40)

Dr. Michael Brown explains the critical danger of hyper-grace
on several of Sid Roth’s TV programs, which are available on YouTube.
Sid Roth? Oh dear.......... Another lop sided misunderstanding of the salvation that cost Lord Jesus His all to secure for us. You need to preach the whole counsel of God.
Every time God directly or indirectly spoke to His people, He began with the declaration, "Do not be afraid". I've not counted personally, but I'm told it is 365 times - once for every day of the year.
"Perfect love casts out fear"
"I tell you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. 5But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear the One who, after you have been killed, has authority to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear Him! Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies?b Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So do not be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.
It would be more helpful if you explained what godly fear is. Just spraying Bible verses around does not enlighten. When you have such apparent contradictory verses, people need to know what they mean, not just what they say.

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Great ... another hilarious guy!
FYI, you do not have to believe the verses in the OP. Happy now?
Hello again BCsenior, I was just pointing out that your OP title proposition's logic may be somewhat flawed. The Apostle John has something interesting to say about this as well.

1 John 4
16 We have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as He is, so are we in this world.
18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

So we have verses and passages that seem to be saying different things about "fear", yes? How can the "fear" verses that you posited for us in the OP and the "fear" passage above from the Apostle John be reconciled with the proposition from your OP title?

Thanks!

--David
p.s. - I have no problem with the verses that you posited for us in the OP, but I do have a problem with some of the OP commentary about those verses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
"Perfect love casts out fear"
So, BACs who do NOT have perfect love ... can have fear.
Butski, dis fear is not about fear of the Lord.

RE: Sid Roth ... Too bad that you appear to be a cessationist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
How can the "fear" verses that you posited for us in the OP
and the "fear" passage above from the Apostle John
be reconciled with the proposition from your OP title?
Yes, now we're getting somewhere!

You're the only one in my remembrance
who is is willing to consider RECONCILING
NT verses on both sides of an issue!

I've been preaching this for years now ...
about reconciling the verses on both sides of OSAS.

People are gonna think I paid you to come up with this!

• Haha
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Fear of God is a gift from Him that indwells all true believers. This seals us against falling away. We daren't drift into unforgivable sin. See Jer 32:40

The fear of man is not trusting God. This is the 'fear not' that is mentioned many times.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
So, BACs who do NOT have perfect love ... can have fear.
Butski, dis fear is not about fear of the Lord.

RE: Sid Roth ... Too bad that you appear to be a cessationist.
I have no idea how you can come to that conclusion. I do not label myself any kind or "ist" and I do not subscribe to any "ism". I was baptised in the Holy Spirit Christmas eve 1974. I remember it well. No, I am not a cessationist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Carlos, I think there's more to salvation than simply fearing the Lord.
Someone needs to define fear in this context. As Carl has said, God gives believers a fear which is healthy. It is not the paralysing fear that comes from Satan. Godly fear is like carrying a Ming vase around that is worth a fortune and irreplaceable. You watch your step, you focus and concentrate to protect it. Those who are careless and slack with their Christian lives do not realise the value of what God has done for us in Christ. That kind of fear is constructive and motivating, not the paralysing fear of God's judgement. Most Christians have no godly fear to start with. It can take a while to develop that kind of respect for God and His ways. For sure most have the fear of judgement and hell. Once we are established in Christ and we know whom we have believed (also a process) godly fear replaces fear of death and hell.

Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The Fear of God is a gift from Him that indwells all true believers. This seals us against falling away. We daren't drift into unforgivable sin. See Jer 32:40
I don't recall ever hearing this from God or man.
Just what percentage of church goers in the USA do you think have this fear of God?
Me, I'd say it is less than 1%.
Perhaps one the main reasons is the antinomianism mentioned in the OP.

Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have no idea how you can come to that conclusion.
I do not label myself any kind or "ist" and I do not subscribe to any "ism".
I was baptised in the Holy Spirit Christmas eve 1974. I remember it well.
No, I am not a cessationist.
Den why are you poking fun at Sid Roth?

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
True Grace/False Grace .. God’s grace is given when believers INITIALLY receive the precious Holy Spirit within. However, this grace/salvation is NOT guaranteed to last forever! Grace-only, cheap-grace, hyper-grace, easy-believism are called antinomianism! This is the notion that a one-time justification saves … apart from sanctification.
Hello again BCsenior, I agree with you that we are saved from the moment that we first believe (because the Lord makes it clear to us that we are.. e.g. John 5:24), but that's not all He tells us there, rather, He tells us something very important about every one of our future moments as well, both in this life, as well in the age to come.

John 5
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life."

The Lord tells us that the kind of life that we receive from Him when He saves us (from the very moment that we first believe) is "eternal life" (not some kind of temporal or probationary life). And just to make sure that there can be no misunderstanding about this, He continues by explaining that those who have come to saving faith in Him/received eternal life from Him have (already) passed from death to life, such that they will neither be judged nor condemned along with the reprobate in the Judgement to come (at the Great White Throne). See John 3:18 concerning this, as well.
--David

• Winner
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Someone needs to define fear in this context. As Carl has said, God gives believers a fear which is healthy. It is not the paralysing fear that comes from Satan. Godly fear is like carrying a Ming vase around that is worth a fortune and irreplaceable. You watch your step, you focus and concentrate to protect it. Those who are careless and slack with their Christian lives do not realise the value of what God has done for us in Christ. That kind of fear is constructive and motivating, not the paralysing fear of God's judgement. Most Christians have no godly fear to start with. It can take a while to develop that kind of respect for God and His ways. For sure most have the fear of judgement and hell. Once we are established in Christ and we know whom we have believed (also a process) godly fear replaces fear of death and hell.
I think the OP verses are clear enough ...
it's about a healthy fear, much much more than reverential fear.

We should be talking about ...
"FEAR GOD who has the power to kill you, and then throw you into hell." (Luke 12:5)
"FEAR HIM who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." (Matthew 10:28)

Now since these are Gospel verses, they are NOT obviously pointed at BACs.
People will argue they are to scare non-believers into taking God seriously.

Upvote 0