Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I have been praying and asking God's forgiveness for my sins. I am praying for that true repentance. But my reasons is the fear of God's wrath and punishment. I know I have to turn from my sins in order to receive true forgiveness. And I am planning on seeking his forgiveness until the day that I die. This includes fighting against my sin. I am not talking about continuously in my sin and then asking forgiveness, which I probably should make clear. Sometimes Christians will take what I say wrong.

Many Christians will say that doing it out of fear is not true repentance. I don't understand why God will feel this way. God rescued Israel when they cried out in fear many times when they were captured. Why wouldn't God rescue me when I cry out in fear of his wrath and punishment. I can't make myself do it out of love.

Doesn't repentance come first before you truly love God? And don't people come to God just as they are and God changes them?

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have been praying and asking God's forgiveness for my sins. I am praying for that true repentance. But my reasons is the fear of God's wrath and punishment. I know I have to turn from my sins in order to receive true forgiveness. And I am planning on seeking his forgiveness until the day that I die. This includes fighting against my sin. I am not talking about continuously in my sin and then asking forgiveness, which I probably should make clear. Sometimes Christians will take what I say wrong.

Many Christians will say that doing it out of fear is not true repentance. I don't understand why God will feel this way. God rescued Israel when they cried out in fear many times when they were captured. Why wouldn't God rescue me when I cry out in fear of his wrath and punishment. I can't make myself do it out of love.

Doesn't repentance come first before you truly love God? And don't people come to God just as they are and God changes them?
Romans 2 is Paul's great treatise on repentance.

The New Testament speaks of repentance AND faith. "Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ." (Acts 20.21).

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,907.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
There is a vast difference between true guilt between man and God and the feelings of guilt. The moment one receives Christ as Saviour, true guilt is taken away in that the person is totally acquitted by God and there is no guilt, separation, or punishment for sin any longer.

But a person may have feelings of guilt when viewing their own failures and shortcomings, when God no longer holds them guilty of these things. Guilt feelings can come through a person not knowing where he or she stands with Christ, confusing justification with sanctification, applying Old Testament Law to the New Covenant relationship in Christ, or condemnation and guilt "bombs" thrown on the believer by oppressing demons.

Neil Anderson's The Bondage Breaker (can be uploaded as a pdf file) gives the list of where a born again believer stands with Christ. You need to get that list and read it out before the Lord. You will be amazed at how quickly you will become free from the bondage of guilt feelings.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fear of the direction that you are heading in is a good first reason to turn. As you become more acquainted with Him, you will find that He is even cooler than that.

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,
And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." Proverbs 9:10 NKJV

“For 'whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.'” Romans 10:13 NKJV

"The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord,
And He delights in his way.
Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down;
For the Lord upholds him with His hand." Psalms 37:23-24 NKJV

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,907.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Fear of the direction that you are heading in is a good first reason to turn. As you become more acquainted with Him, you will find that He is even cooler than that.

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,
And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." Proverbs 9:10 NKJV

“For 'whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.'” Romans 10:13 NKJV

"The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord,
And He delights in his way.
Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down;
For the Lord upholds him with His hand." Psalms 37:23-24 NKJV
A good preacher said that demons of fear are all around him ready to pounce the moment he starts to doubt his standing with Christ, so he affirms his standing with Christ every morning when he gets us and praises God for it. That is his way of keeping those fear demons at bay. They cannot pounce on him while he knows and affirms his standing with Christ.

The fear of God is approaching God with the greatest of love, respect, awe and amazement for the Person He is, and the new creations He has made us in Christ. We can stand with Christ before God without any (terrorising) fear, guilt, shame, or any sense of inferiority. We can come boldly to God's throne of grace without any fear or dread.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
have been praying and asking God's forgiveness for my sins. I am praying for that true repentance.

It is only the Christian who is concerned with whether their actions are sinful or not.
If you have said sorry to God for them, then rather than constantly ask for forgivenness for what has been forgiven. Pray that you might have the faith to trust in God's promise of forgiveness.

May I suggest that you memorise 1John 1 v 9.

Upvote 0

ovis90

Jun 7, 2015
Vilnius
✟20,552.00
Country
Lithuania
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
There is a vast difference between true guilt between man and God and the feelings of guilt. The moment one receives Christ as Saviour, true guilt is taken away in that the person is totally acquitted by God and there is no guilt, separation, or punishment for sin any longer.

But a person may have feelings of guilt when viewing their own failures and shortcomings, when God no longer holds them guilty of these things. Guilt feelings can come through a person not knowing where he or she stands with Christ, confusing justification with sanctification, applying Old Testament Law to the New Covenant relationship in Christ, or condemnation and guilt "bombs" thrown on the believer by oppressing demons.

Neil Anderson's The Bondage Breaker (can be uploaded as a pdf file) gives the list of where a born again believer stands with Christ. You need to get that list and read it out before the Lord. You will be amazed at how quickly you will become free from the bondage of guilt feelings.

So you mean once you accept Jesus Christ and born again. Even if you commit a sin you don't feel guilt?

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,787.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The Bible says that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. It also says that the Almighty searches the world for those who fear Him, that He may bless them.

Maybe it would help to pray to hate your sin, and to be given light - not just due to fear of the Lord, though, again that is good - about why it is so harmful to you, about how you are being deceived by the devil to not see that what the sin "offers" to you is infinitely beneath even a few seconds with the Father, not to mention Heaven.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Bible says that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. It also says that the Almighty searches the world for those who fear Him, that He may bless them.

Maybe it would help to pray to hate your sin, and to be given light - not just due to fear of the Lord, though, again that is good - about why it is so harmful to you, about how you are being deceived by the devil to not see that what the sin "offers" to you is infinitely beneath even a few seconds with the Father, not to mention Heaven.
The more we become accustomed to daily prayer and the Scriptures, the more we are likely to see things differently in God's light.

Upvote 0

Kristian Gamst

Jul 23, 2018
Våle
✟15,401.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for all your advice. It is very useful.

Hi Jesse! My advice to you is first to understand the meaning of repentance.

There are different stages of repentance: first in Your thoughts. First you need to think that Your actions, Words and thoughts are wrong. This is certaintly the easiest step which you probably have done.
The second step is by saying it. Repenting by Words. You have to tell Jesus that you will repent. And remember that He searches the heart and tests the mind (Jeremiah 17,10). He knows if you mean what you say. He sees Beyond your words, he sees to your motives and to the Depths of Your heart. If you truly repent also by words, and God sees a whole heart he will accept that repentance gladly.
The last step is by actions. This is the hardest one. If you truly repent you will show it by Your actions. If you stole anything (of course not a little bit of candy of 1 dollar Worth or something alike), you will Return it and pay what it is Worth. We have to be wise to see what needs to be taken care of, and what doesn't. However, if you don't feel Peace about it I would do something about it.
Jesus gave us His opinion about it, which is very serious (from Matthew 5,23-26):
23 Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. 25 Agree with your adversary quickly, while you are on the way with him, lest your adversary deliver you to the judge, the judge hand you over to the officer, and you be thrown into prison. 26 Assuredly, I say to you, you will by no means get out of there till you have paid the last penny.
I don't know how much you know about this altergift. It was a gift People came to God With once a year (!), it was also an expensive gift. And Jesus tells them that if you remember Your Brother has spomething against you LEAVE Your gift to put it right With him. So Jesus reminds us of the importance of making up for what we have done. I know there are many Things we can make up for. If we stole from someone we have no Clue who is and alike situations.
If you repent by actions you are truly repenting. This is a true repentance. I don't know Your life and what you struggle With, but this are the stages i believe we have to do it to truly repent. I know this sounds really theoretical, but it isn't, really. Thouhts and Words often comes pretty automatical, but actions are a thing that really comes from the heart. For if you do something so humiliating you truly want Jesus above anything.

But something that is crucial in repentance is this; you must repent towards God. It seems like a matter of course maybe, but it is something we sometimes forget. Hosea said this in his book, in the 7th Chapter and 16th verse:
They return, but not to the Most High;
They are like a treacherous bow.
Their princes shall fall by the sword
For the cursings of their tongue.
This shall be their derision in the land of Egypt.
They did repent, but not to God. We must remember to turn to Him. Because we can repent from stealing to fighting and so on. So repent towars Him!

I want you to get that repentance doesn't need to be a 180 degree change. This is almost always said, but really it isn't like that always. If you reprent from being a sinner to God, that is a 180 degree change. But what if you are a believer in Christ, do you need to change direction 180 degrees all the time? No. Sometimes we may just be 2 degrees off. It is like a Compass. When we have repented towards God we can come off course, but rarely 180 degrees when you have come to The Lord. So remember that sometimes it is just small changes that needs to be done.

I also want to add another thing: You have to remember that forgiveness is really strong. If you have repented and truly believe in Your heart that you have done so you are forgiven. Stand upon His promises. Jesus told us to prech repentance and the remission of sins (Luke 24,47). Jesus sais that repentance leads to forgiveness. And if you truly are forgiven you can stand upon His Word and proclaim that you are forgiven. And if you live a life of repentance he will forgive you gladly. Remember that repentance is something that needs to be a lifestyle, it something that happens through Our Whole life. But when you are forgiven for something after you have repented you don't have to ask for forgiveness for it again unless you fall into that sin again. Why? Because to Him it is gone.
Hebrews 8,12 even sais this: For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.” It isn't just gone, IT IS FORGOTTEN! When God forgives you he forgets it. The only way he can remember Your sin is if it hasn't been forgiven. So if you feel guilt for something you have been forgiven for after repenting, that guilt is from the devil. He tries to deceive you, but when you are forgiven by God, Your sin is gone, TOTALLY. As David said in Psalms 103,12: As far as the east is from the west,
So far has He removed our transgressions from us.
They are GONE.

I hope this will help Your understanding of repentance and that it will help you. Bless you Jesse, and may God be With you and help you understand what I have wrote to you With help from the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,907.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
So you mean once you accept Jesus Christ and born again. Even if you commit a sin you don't feel guilt?
Yes, you will feel guilt, but not because God holds you guilty of it. This is because when you received Christ the guilt that God held against you was removed and the relationship with Him restored. This never changes. Justification is a once and unchangeable event. Sanctification is the developmental progress in holiness and growth in grace. Yet, if there is no development in sanctification, one could ask whether justification had really taken place.

But we have failures and weaknesses, and no one can say that they can live a totally sin-free life. So the temporary feelings of guilt do come when we sin, but we can use 1 John 1:9 to restore our fellowship (not our relationship) with God and the guilt feelings with disappear.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hi Jesse! My advice to you is first to understand the meaning of repentance.

There are different stages of repentance: first in Your thoughts. First you need to think that Your actions, Words and thoughts are wrong. This is certaintly the easiest step which you probably have done.
The second step is by saying it. Repenting by Words. You have to tell Jesus that you will repent. And remember that He searches the heart and tests the mind (Jeremiah 17,10). He knows if you mean what you say. He sees Beyond your words, he sees to your motives and to the Depths of Your heart. If you truly repent also by words, and God sees a whole heart he will accept that repentance gladly.
The last step is by actions. This is the hardest one. If you truly repent you will show it by Your actions. If you stole anything (of course not a little bit of candy of 1 dollar Worth or something alike), you will Return it and pay what it is Worth. We have to be wise to see what needs to be taken care of, and what doesn't. However, if you don't feel Peace about it I would do something about it.
Jesus gave us His opinion about it, which is very serious (from Matthew 5,23-26):
23 Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. 25 Agree with your adversary quickly, while you are on the way with him, lest your adversary deliver you to the judge, the judge hand you over to the officer, and you be thrown into prison. 26 Assuredly, I say to you, you will by no means get out of there till you have paid the last penny.
I don't know how much you know about this altergift. It was a gift People came to God With once a year (!), it was also an expensive gift. And Jesus tells them that if you remember Your Brother has spomething against you LEAVE Your gift to put it right With him. So Jesus reminds us of the importance of making up for what we have done. I know there are many Things we can make up for. If we stole from someone we have no Clue who is and alike situations.
If you repent by actions you are truly repenting. This is a true repentance. I don't know Your life and what you struggle With, but this are the stages i believe we have to do it to truly repent. I know this sounds really theoretical, but it isn't, really. Thouhts and Words often comes pretty automatical, but actions are a thing that really comes from the heart. For if you do something so humiliating you truly want Jesus above anything.

But something that is crucial in repentance is this; you must repent towards God. It seems like a matter of course maybe, but it is something we sometimes forget. Hosea said this in his book, in the 7th Chapter and 16th verse:
They return, but not to the Most High;
They are like a treacherous bow.
Their princes shall fall by the sword
For the cursings of their tongue.
This shall be their derision in the land of Egypt.
They did repent, but not to God. We must remember to turn to Him. Because we can repent from stealing to fighting and so on. So repent towars Him!

I want you to get that repentance doesn't need to be a 180 degree change. This is almost always said, but really it isn't like that always. If you reprent from being a sinner to God, that is a 180 degree change. But what if you are a believer in Christ, do you need to change direction 180 degrees all the time? No. Sometimes we may just be 2 degrees off. It is like a Compass. When we have repented towards God we can come off course, but rarely 180 degrees when you have come to The Lord. So remember that sometimes it is just small changes that needs to be done.

I also want to add another thing: You have to remember that forgiveness is really strong. If you have repented and truly believe in Your heart that you have done so you are forgiven. Stand upon His promises. Jesus told us to prech repentance and the remission of sins (Luke 24,47). Jesus sais that repentance leads to forgiveness. And if you truly are forgiven you can stand upon His Word and proclaim that you are forgiven. And if you live a life of repentance he will forgive you gladly. Remember that repentance is something that needs to be a lifestyle, it something that happens through Our Whole life. But when you are forgiven for something after you have repented you don't have to ask for forgiveness for it again unless you fall into that sin again. Why? Because to Him it is gone.
Hebrews 8,12 even sais this: For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.” It isn't just gone, IT IS FORGOTTEN! When God forgives you he forgets it. The only way he can remember Your sin is if it hasn't been forgiven. So if you feel guilt for something you have been forgiven for after repenting, that guilt is from the devil. He tries to deceive you, but when you are forgiven by God, Your sin is gone, TOTALLY. As David said in Psalms 103,12: As far as the east is from the west,
So far has He removed our transgressions from us.
They are GONE.

I hope this will help Your understanding of repentance and that it will help you. Bless you Jesse, and may God be With you and help you understand what I have wrote to you With help from the Holy Spirit.

This does help. Thank you

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Thank you, LoricaLady.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It is only the Christian who is concerned with whether their actions are sinful or not.
If you have said sorry to God for them, then rather than constantly ask for forgivenness for what has been forgiven. Pray that you might have the faith to trust in God's promise of forgiveness.

May I suggest that you memorise 1John 1 v 9.

Thank you

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is very helpful.
Another point: it's great to think that prayer and the Scriptures daily is good, now. It's so important also to think the same thing, tomorrow and the next day and the next. :)

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Another point: it's great to think that prayer and the Scriptures daily is good, now. It's so important also to think the same thing, tomorrow and the next day and the next. :)

I am not very consistent. And this is something I definitely need to work on. Thank you

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0