true picture of Christ

kisstheson

Contributor
Aug 6, 2005
✟14,639.00
Faith
Christian
Yup! That's the picture! It's good to see this again. I had lost the book in a flood last April. Thanks!

Those eyes look right through you, don't they? What must the true eyes of Jesus be like?

The people who have had authentic visions of Jesus? I wish I could be counted among them. I have read books about people who have visions of the Lord. Not all agree concerning the color of His hair, eyes etc. But most agree that He looks like the classic paintings of Christ, Brown or dark long hair, beard, large eyes... even Moslems in Islamic countries have said He looks like this. I read a story of a Christian who gave a "tract" with a picture of Christ on it to a Moslem and the Moslem said upon looking at the picture, "That is the Man I dreamed about last night. He told me He was the Son of God." Awesome!

Upvote 0

soap

Psalm 40:2
May 24, 2005
✟57,099.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am sorry that I am just now getting back to this thread, kisstheson. It has been several years since I had the dream, but I will try to recount the details. This is what he looked like in my dream (previous post), but I believe his hair was a slight bit curlier. I do not know the terminology to describe the attire, but I can say that in my dream, he was wearing that long white garment, but it also had a long purple decorative piece...I don't know if it is a decorative piece...I don't know how to describe it. He was sitting, teaching, with his left leg crossed over the right, and he was holding his right hand in with palms up, all fingers and thumb touching (but was moving this hand because of the teaching). He was not directly facing me. I was in a crowd with others, and I prayed in my mind, "Lord, Lord" to get his attention....and he turned, and looked at me, and smiled (acknowledging me). It was a most beautiful smile. I could see his teeth. (in other words, his mouth was not closed) I talked with him shortly later, but he said that he must go. He would not let me go with Him. Then I woke up.

This was a time in my life when I needed great encouragement. I was going through a lot of abuse with my unsaved-now-ex husband.

Upvote 0

SpitfireOverThames

Apr 29, 2006
London
✟799.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Conservative
The most important thing about Christ our King is that we not worry about what He looks like now, or when He was upon the earth...but that we look for Christ in the people that surround us. It is a bit childish and shallow to be concerned or worried about the outward appearances of our King when we have the opportunity to see Him every day in the homeless, the destitute, the unwed mother, the prisoner, the hungry, the abused, in a world that is desperate to know His love and just a bit of kindness... It is how we treat those considered ugly and without anything appealing or not having anything worthy of special consideration that determines maturity in us. We need to look for and see Christ in people.

It is easy to love and adore and worship the beauty of One so glorious and full of splendour such as our Risen King! But I surmise that it will be how we treated the ones unglorious, and lacking splendour or any specialness that will be our shame or glory on the Judgement Day. It is there that we will be discovered to have had maturity or be found to have been sorely lacking.

Jesus of Nazareth was a Jewish man, probably of rough complexion, strong of heart and body, but beyond that, not being any more special in appearance than the next person. He would not care about the outward appearance for He always saw through eyes of love and compassion for people.

At the same time, however, I am not discounting the value and power of visions/dreams that one might have of the Lord. I myself have stood before the Throne on one occasion in a dream. It was the most ecstatic moment that I've ever known. And someday, I pray and hope for the opportunity to remain in that glorious place (with the Glorious One)...but until then, I will look for Him in people around me. How I serve them is how I serve Him. One cannot separate the two.

Just my thoughts.

~Sean

Reactions: youthwalk
Upvote 0

soap

May 24, 2005
✟57,099.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
SpitfireOverThames said:
The most important thing about Christ our King is that we not worry about what He looks like now, or when He was upon the earth...but that we look for Christ in the people that surround us. It is a bit childish and shallow to be concerned or worried about the outward appearances of our King when we have the opportunity to see Him every day in the homeless, the destitute, the unwed mother, the prisoner, the hungry, the abused, in a world that is desperate to know His love and just a bit of kindness... It is how we treat those considered ugly and without anything appealing or not having anything worthy of special consideration that determines maturity in us. We need to look for and see Christ in people.

It is easy to love and adore and worship the beauty of One so glorious and full of splendour such as our Risen King! But I surmise that it will be how we treated the ones unglorious, and lacking splendour or any specialness that will be our shame or glory on the Judgement Day. It is there that we will be discovered to have had maturity or be found to have been sorely lacking.

Jesus of Nazareth was a Jewish man, probably of rough complexion, strong of heart and body, but beyond that, not being any more special in appearance than the next person. He would not care about the outward appearance for He always saw through eyes of love and compassion for people.

At the same time, however, I am not discounting the value and power of visions/dreams that one might have of the Lord. I myself have stood before the Throne on one occasion in a dream. It was the most ecstatic moment that I've ever known. And someday, I pray and hope for the opportunity to remain in that glorious place (with the Glorious One)...but until then, I will look for Him in people around me. How I serve them is how I serve Him. One cannot separate the two.

Just my thoughts.

~Sean
I have only given this description because kisstheson said that she was an artist. I thought it might be helpful if she were trying to create something on canvas (or drawing, or whatever type of art she does).
I only wanted to provide her with as much detail as I could for artistic purposes. I do agree with not worrying about outward appearances in general, though.

Upvote 0

SpitfireOverThames

Apr 29, 2006
London
✟799.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Conservative
soap said:
I have only given this description because kisstheson said that she was an artist. I thought it might be helpful if she were trying to create something on canvas (or drawing, or whatever type of art she does).
I only wanted to provide her with as much detail as I could for artistic purposes. I do agree with not worrying about outward appearances in general, though.
That's cool! I always liked the painting of Christ wherein He is wearing robes that display the flags of the world. He truly is Lord of the Nations, and King of all! :) Be blessed, Soap!

Upvote 0

soap

May 24, 2005
✟57,099.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
SpitfireOverThames said:
That's cool! I always liked the painting of Christ wherein He is wearing robes that display the flags of the world. He truly is Lord of the Nations, and King of all! :) Be blessed, Soap!
I haven't seen that one. Do you have a link?

Upvote 0

kisstheson

Contributor
Aug 6, 2005
✟14,639.00
Faith
Christian
SpitfireOverThames said:

It is easy to love and adore and worship the beauty of One so glorious and full of splendour such as our Risen King!

~Sean

This is how we begin to genuinely reach out to the people you spoke of, by worshiping and adoring the Personhood of Jesus. Mother Theresa one of the greatest humanitarians in our century began every day contemplating a life size crucifix with a sign above it that read in big, bold letters the words of Christ's longing: "I thirst!"

I am not worried or concerned about Jesus' appearance. I already know what the Bible says about Him. "He is the fairest of ten thousand." (Song of Solomon 5) He is "fairer than the children of men." Psalm 45:2.

When one sees a beautiful rose or a glorious sunset there is nothing wrong with stopping to admire it. So is Jesus worthy of our contemplation. He IS beautiful in countless ways. The woman who poured the spikenard on His head and feet was critized for the expense and told she her treasure should have been lavished upon the poor. Jesus however praised her for paying so much attention to Him.

Adoring Jesus will eqip you to reach out to others. It is not childish to wonder about our Bridegroom and what our first meeting with Him will be like. How must He appear and what muct His face be like? It's like wondering what a dear pen-pal or a beloved friend looks like that you have met only through the internet.

Upvote 0

pineapplelesson

Apr 10, 2006
✟8,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-Greens
soap said:
This was a time in my life when I needed great encouragement. I was going through a lot of abuse with my unsaved-now-ex husband.

The Lord is great, is he not?

I commend your bravery in your past relationship. I truly believe that the Lord has great plans for you soap!

..Nena..

Upvote 0

pineapplelesson

Apr 10, 2006
✟8,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-Greens
radhead said:
My dad would call him a "pretty boy." That's his term for men who think they are good looking.

The thing is though, in this portrait, He is *not* 'good looking' in the traditional sense, the way He is protrayed in many of His other portraits as the blonde with the overly Western features.

Of course, He is still beautiful - it is a portrait of our Risen Lord!

..P..

Upvote 0

bfly

Contributor
Oct 2, 2005
Alabama
✟23,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
millerrod said:
For those who have seen Christ in visions, i stumbled [as if anything is not on purpose]onto a painting that truly looks like Christ, there is no doubt that the artist must of had a vision and seen Christ himself to have so accuretly paint him. the painting is by a german artist 1825-1898 [Georg Cornicelius], the name of the painting is [Christ tempted by saten] even his eyes are right. The book its in is called Christ and the fine arts by Cynthia pearl Maus. Check it out! maybe its somewhere on the net i havnt checked.
Thank you for the info.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

millerrod

Contributor
Dec 10, 2005
I try to live in obidence to god some days i fail
✟15,533.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
its funny how time changes but peoples reactions dont. imagine when Christ appeared to his deciples after he had been crucified, i can just imagine how they were asked by others [ what did he look like? what was he wearing? questian after questian and i am sure there were those who doubted he had been seen, so it seems today Christ shows himself and some are excited and ask what did he look like, and yes some today doubt. Christ the same today and yesterday, seems not much has changed.

Upvote 0

kisstheson

Contributor
Aug 6, 2005
✟14,639.00
Faith
Christian
millerrod said:
its funny how time changes but peoples reactions dont. imagine when Christ appeared to his deciples after he had been crucified, i can just imagine how they were asked by others [ what did he look like? what was he wearing? questian after questian and i am sure there were those who doubted he had been seen, so it seems today Christ shows himself and some are excited and ask what did he look like, and yes some today doubt. Christ the same today and yesterday, seems not much has changed.

You have my vote millerrod! :clap: Good point!

Upvote 0