Jan 28, 2002
✟2,924,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hmm, this passage comes to mind, but it's probably what you're actually looking for. Also, sorry for positing such a long passage, but I thought the content was helpful in this case. Take special note of the text in bold, particularly v28, if you want to skip reading the rest.

Romans 1
18 The wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,
19 because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them.
20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.
21 For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
22 Professing to be wise, they became fools,
23 and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures.
24 Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them.
25 For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
26 For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural,
27 and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
28 And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper.​

Yours and His,
David
p.s. - it seems to me that with Christians, the Lord may actually have to spend more time working with those of us who stray, because He promised to see ALL of His elect safely through this life to Glory, and to grow us in Christlikeness along the way .. e.g. Philippians 1:6; 2:13; Hebrews 7:25, 12:7-11; 2 Peter 3:9; 1 John 5:13. The question has to be this however, since God uses the fittest means possible to help His 'faithful' saints remain vigilant (by keeping our eyes off of this world and on the next one instead), do any of us really want face what He's going to have to do to return us to the flock when we've strayed? I believe there is also a point where He will all but withdraw from directly/personally disciplining an errant believer, a point where He allows 'someone else' take over the job .. cf 1 Corinthians 5:5 :eek:

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
TRUE or FALSE

The less time we spend on our relationship with God, the less time He spends on us.

*Support answer WITH SCRIPTURE
I don't think the answer is a simple true or false.
Philippians 2:12-13 Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God who works in you.
That would seem to say that as much time as you spend on your relationship with God, God will work in you as much as you will let Him.

Then we have Hebrews 7:25.
He (Jesus) is able to save to the uttermost those who cone unto God by Him, for He ever lives to make intercession for them.
And Romans 5:20
But where sin abounds, grace abounds much more.

Upvote 0

Beautyinsteadofashes

Site Supporter
May 16, 2017
Mathews
✟271,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I read that passage from Romans not to long ago actually. (Not intending to sound like a smart mouth, just making a statement).
I wouldn’t put myself quite in the same category. I still acknowledge God. I think about Him daily. I pray. (Not nearly enough! Certainly not “without ceasing”) I don’t worship creatures or other such things in His place. BUT, am I giving Him the attention I should be? No. And I’m not reading The Word as much as I should. (Painful to admit). This has led me to wonder if because I do not offer Him much of my time, perhaps He will not offer me much of His.
In regards to working more with those who stray, that makes sense to me. I know He desires that none shall perish. (Hopefully that’s the correct spelling “perish”) Also He goes after the one lost sheep out of the 99 and rejoices when they return to Him. I can’t think of the exact verses.
Hmm, this passage comes to mind, but it's probably what you're actually looking for. Also, sorry for positing such a long passage, but I thought the content was helpful in this case. Take special note of the text in bold, particularly v28, if you want to skip reading the rest.

Romans 1
18 The wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,
19 because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them.
20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.
21 For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
22 Professing to be wise, they became fools,
23 and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures.
24 Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them.
25 For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
26 For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural,
27 and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
28 And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper.​

Yours and His,
David
p.s. - it seems to me that with Christians, the Lord may actually have to spend more time working with those of us who stray, because He promised to see ALL of His elect safely through this life to Glory, and to grow us in Christlikeness along the way .. e.g. Philippians 1:6; 2:13; Hebrews 7:25, 12:7-11; 2 Peter 3:9; 1 John 5:13. The question has to be this however, since God uses the fittest means possible to help His 'faithful' saints remain vigilant (by keeping our eyes off of this world and on the next one instead), do any of us really want face what He's going to have to do to return us to the flock when we've strayed? I believe there is also a point where He will all but withdraw from directly/personally disciplining an errant believer, a point where He allows 'someone else' take over the job .. cf 1 Corinthians 5:5 :eek:
e
Philippians 2:12-13 Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God who works in you.
That would seem to say that as much time as you spend on your relationship with God, God will work in you as much as you will let Him.

He (Jesus) is able to save to the uttermost those who cone unto God by Him, for He ever lives to make intercession for them.

I think perhaps a good cross reference to that verse in Philippians is in Deuteronomy 30 where we are told we are given the choice between life and death so that we may choose life. “Work out your own salvation” “choose life”. To me they are saying the same thing.
Maybe also, in Philippians 2:12-12 it’s saying that when we choose Him, He can then work in us. (Putting in my own words). But I’m not sure that this says that the more thought and time we give Him, the more thought and time He gives us. Or vice versa, the less time we give, the less He gives. But that we do have to acknowledge Him.

Upvote 0

Beautyinsteadofashes

Site Supporter
May 16, 2017
Mathews
✟271,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
TRUE or FALSE

The less time we spend on our relationship with God, the less time He spends on us.

The verse “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” Comes to mind. Since He wouldn’t forsake us, it would then make sense that He wouldn’t decide to ignore us when we don’t devote the time to Him which He deserves. Really, it would be sort of vindictive. “Well, you’re ignoring Me so I’ll ignore you!” That’s how we at times respond to one another. But God is merciful. And loving. And full of grace. Even though we are undeserving.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The verse “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” Comes to mind. Since He wouldn’t forsake us, it would then make sense that He wouldn’t decide to ignore us when we don’t devote the time to Him which He deserves. Really, it would be sort of vindictive. “Well, you’re ignoring Me so I’ll ignore you!” That’s how we at times respond to one another. But God is merciful. And loving. And full of grace. Even though we are undeserving.
You can't imagine how much God loves you, literally, you can't imagine it. Ephesians 3:19 says His love for us is beyond knowing,
Psalms 40:5 says that the number of thoughts God has for you can't be declared, there are so many.
If you make it a point each day to see God's love for you in His Word, you will be in awe of how much He loves you and in return you will love Him and want to spend time with Him.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Psalm 139 said:
1 O lord, thou hast searched me, and known me.

2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.

3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.

4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether.

5 Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.

6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?

8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;

10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.

12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.

14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

17 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!

18 If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.

19 Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men.

20 For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain.

21 Do not I hate them, O Lord, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?

22 I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:

24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
If He's with us everywhere He must think of us everywhere as well, right? :scratch:
tulc(always liked this one) :wave:

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've heard that quote, but I never cared for it because it makes the relationship feel conditional on God's side instead of unconditional like it is, and it's also giving us too much control of the relationship's direction.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

It is "us" who forsakes Him.

And no, He's not vindictive or "petty" and petulant. That would be "sin", wouldn't it?

If we forsake God, it is "us" that is in question, not God.

We are admonished to examine our hearts.

Amen?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
TRUE or FALSE

False, God disciplines his children. Odds are one is not spending time with God when he needs to discipline them.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Time in the mind of God is incalcuable.

Time with God is realized only in spiritual prayer and praise and worship?

John 4:24 (NASB)
24 God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship (Him) in spirit and truth.”

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The verse “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” Comes to mind. Since He wouldn’t forsake us, it would then make sense that He wouldn’t decide to ignore us when we don’t devote the time to Him which He deserves.
2 Timothy 2:13
If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TRUE or FALSE

God is outside of time. He wrote the book of our life before we were even born. Our angels read our book so they can help us to be the person God wants us to be. Also the Holy Spirit is our Guide and our Teacher.

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I choose false.
The less time we spend on God results in more mental and physical problems which "should" cause us to go to God. Unfortunately, most of us run to a book, a teacher or the doctor to deal with it all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums