Troubled about headcoverings

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gracewings

I'm hoping someone can help me understand why the Catholic church has changed its stance on headcoverings/veils. When I was a girl, my mother, sisters and I always wore a veil to church -- I never questioned it then, it's just what we did. However, I left the Cath church a number of years ago and have become familiar with the Bible. In it, Paul teaches about headcoverings and I presumed that is why the Cath church required it. Since Scripture hasn't changed, I'm very confused as to why Catholics are no longer expected to practice it. TIA for replies. :)

KC Catholic

Everybody's gone surfin'...Surfin' U.S.A
Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gracewings -

Welcome to our forum...

Good question about the headcoverings. I heard something in once in RCIA, but can't remember what it was exactly.

But I checked EWTN's website and how timely..they had the same question:

From EWTN

Answer by Fr. John Echert on 11-02-2001:
St. Paul wrote to the Christians at Corinth:

11:1 Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ. 11:2 I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I have delivered them to you. 11:3 But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a woman is her husband, and the head of Christ is God. 11:4 Any man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head, 11:5 but any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled dishonors her head -- it is the same as if her head were shaven. 11:6 For if a woman will not veil herself, then she should cut off her hair; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her wear a veil. 11:7 For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. 11:8 (For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. 11:9 Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.) 11:10 That is why a woman ought to have a veil on her head, because of the angels. 11:11 (Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man nor man of woman; 11:12 for as woman was made from man, so man is now born of woman. And all things are from God.) 11:13 Judge for yourselves; is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 11:14 Does not nature itself teach you that for a man to wear long hair is degrading to him, 11:15 but if a woman has long hair, it is her pride? For her hair is given to her for a covering.

St. Paul wrote to Timothy, in his first letter to this coworker:

2:7 For this I was appointed a preacher and apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying), a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth. 2:8 I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling; 2:9 also that women should adorn themselves modestly and sensibly in seemly apparel, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly attire 2:10 but by good deeds, as befits women who profess religion. 2:11 Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. 2:12 I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent. 2:13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve; 2:14 and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. 2:15 Yet woman will be saved through bearing children, if she continues in faith and love and holiness, with modesty.

I do not dispute with the fundamental teaching of Paul in these texts, in particular, with regards to the relationship between man, woman, Christ, and God as to headship. From this fundamental teaching on the nature of Persons/persons, both divine and human, St. Paul exercises his pastoral authority to indicate appropriate dress and behavior at worship services. I imagine that the Church of today would argue that while the fundamental truth does not change with regards to the relationship between persons/Persons, the implications of this may change with society and times and so the Church has made a pastoral decision not to bind Catholics to this manner of dress. At the same time, I do know some women who continue to wear a head covering, consistent with the practice of the past and in line with the teaching of St. Paul with regards to authority in worship. Peoples of the ancient world and other parts of the world even today do not resist showing signs of submission to another person, but this Country has a history of resisting any such distinctions, most especially in more recent times. Some liturgists and pastors even—wrongly—forbid or dissuade Catholics from going down on their knees in the presence of the Holy Eucharist, which is the very Presence of God.

When I was young, it was still common for women to wear veils to church and unthinkable that men would wear a hat indoors, even when hats were common in society. To tell you the truth, it upsets me when a man or young person wears a cap inside the church, usually done ignorance, and I regard it inappropriate. In my days as a pastor, I used to ask teenagers to remove their hats in church. As to women with veils, I do know a few who still wear a hair covering, in line with the words of St. Paul. Since the Church does not legislate this I am not in a position to insist upon it. But to tell you the truth, the manner in which many Catholics dress for worship demonstrates that they have been heavily influenced by secularism. And the fact that many modern thinkers would scoff at these words of St. Paul may suggest more about modern deficiency vis-à-vis relations and humility than any cultural conditioning upon the great apostle.

As to the text of Timothy, the practice of the Catholic Church is quite consistent with the teaching of St. Paul. Women do not have authority over men in the worship setting. Preaching is restricted to the ordained, which is restricted to males. And by the way, if any of you are in a parish in which lay people are preaching, this is expressly forbidden by the Vatican, and reiterated in a recent statement from Vatican authorities, with Papal approval for its contents. Do not be duped by pastors who claim that such preaching in Mass is now allowed. ©

Thanks, Susan

Father Echert

COPYRIGHT 2001

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.