Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I feed at any given time up to 25 stray cats. Most now live here with me but they are outside. My feed bill runs usually a hundred a month. It started in 2016 when there were a pair of sweet little cats that were bones and fur. I tried to feed them to save them but they were so feral that the other cats would beat them to it. Sadly they died. I still cry at the thought of them. I vowed to always put more than enough out so that wouldn't happen again.
I can only afford to feed them and house them but can't afford vet bills.
I came upon a medicine that works for them in some cases. It is called fish mox. It is now becoming wildly known for its powers on other than fish. Unfortunately the cost has jumped extremely because a prescription is not needed and word of mouth. I lost a whole generation of kittens from upper respiratory infection and probably related to feline herpes. This is insidious as the mucous from the eyes and nose covers their face eventually their mouth and nose and smothering them. I am treating a baby right now that seems to be recovered from it and another baby has just died from it. Getting the right amount is the biggest problem as if you google it the directions are different depending on what you read. Currently I am giving the dosage for ten days. The previous baby died because as directed by another site I gave the meds for only 5 days. It comes in 250 mgs and 500 mgs capsules. Seems depending on weight the dosage is prescribed. I have taken this also but not deluded in water as with the animals.
Fish mox is amoxicillin for animals and it does have disclaimers but I feel it is only for their protection that they disclaim it for humans. I have used it off and on for years. This is simply my experience with it and to maybe help those that can't afford better. Believe me there is so much suffering with the cats I have and it is heartbreaking that I can only do what I do. I hope this helps others. If you need help with dosage please feel free to ask me anything. You can also google it for more info.
BLESSINGS

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Do you know anything about giving doxycycline to cats for Lyme? The dose is about 20mg, twice a day, for an average cat. Doxy is better than Moxy for Lyme in humans.

Upvote 0

JustRachel

He welcomed me back! <3
Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2007
Right here
✟325,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've read of folks taking stray cats to the vet for sterilization as they can afford it. This could be a great option for you. The vet may even offer a discount. Even one a month could help with the population.

• Informative
Reactions: ilovejcsog
Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox
Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Do you know anything about giving doxycycline to cats for Lyme? The dose is about 20mg, twice a day, for an average cat. Doxy is better than Moxy for Lyme in humans.
Does it need to be prescribe? Thanks for this, it is very important to know.
God bless you.

Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
[QUOTEI've read of folks taking stray cats to the vet for sterilization as they can afford it. This could be a great option for you. The vet may even offer a discount. Even one a month could help with the population. [/QUOTE]
I totally agree with you but for several reasons it is not or has not been possible. It has been an agony for me that I can't do this for them but it is impossible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes I would like to ask you something. How do you harmonize animal worshiping with being a professing Christian?

This short thread explains what I mean

Animals
I didn't read it because it doesn't matter to me. God created the animals and he loves them. Nothing would stop me from saving a starving animal or person if at all possible.

Upvote 0

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I didn't read it because it doesn't matter to me. God created the animals and he loves them. Nothing would stop me from saving a starving animal or person if at all possible.

I don't think God loves animals but I respect your view.

I don't want to mess up your thread so my view can be seen in depth through the link in my OP and I will drop out now.

Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Does it need to be prescribe? Thanks for this, it is very important to know.
God bless you.
Moxy, like Doxy, is available, for use with animals, from foreign sources without prescription. I asked because from what I've heard Moxy is the abx of choice for cats for most illnesses, but I think Lyme needs the strength of Doxy. The cat seems to be taking it ok. I break up a 100mg pill and stuff it in some wet food.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miggles

miggles
May 15, 2004
florida
✟40,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I feed at any given time up to 25 stray cats. Most now live here with me but they are outside. My feed bill runs usually a hundred a month. It started in 2016 when there were a pair of sweet little cats that were bones and fur. I tried to feed them to save them but they were so feral that the other cats would beat them to it. Sadly they died. I still cry at the thought of them. I vowed to always put more than enough out so that wouldn't happen again.
I can only afford to feed them and house them but can't afford vet bills.
I came upon a medicine that works for them in some cases. It is called fish mox. It is now becoming wildly known for its powers on other than fish. Unfortunately the cost has jumped extremely because a prescription is not needed and word of mouth. I lost a whole generation of kittens from upper respiratory infection and probably related to feline herpes. This is insidious as the mucous from the eyes and nose covers their face eventually their mouth and nose and smothering them. I am treating a baby right now that seems to be recovered from it and another baby has just died from it. Getting the right amount is the biggest problem as if you google it the directions are different depending on what you read. Currently I am giving the dosage for ten days. The previous baby died because as directed by another site I gave the meds for only 5 days. It comes in 250 mgs and 500 mgs capsules. Seems depending on weight the dosage is prescribed. I have taken this also but not deluded in water as with the animals.
Fish mox is amoxicillin for animals and it does have disclaimers but I feel it is only for their protection that they disclaim it for humans. I have used it off and on for years. This is simply my experience with it and to maybe help those that can't afford better. Believe me there is so much suffering with the cats I have and it is heartbreaking that I can only do what I do. I hope this helps others. If you need help with dosage please feel free to ask me anything. You can also google it for more info.
BLESSINGS
i'm in the same boat you are. i am feeding a colony too that lives in my yard. i have a fenced-in acre. it started with 2 cats. they were mine. i should have fixed them. but they proliferated and now i have a colony. a lot of kittens have died. i can't afford vet either. thank you for the info about the fish mox. where do you get it?

Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
i'm in the same boat you are. i am feeding a colony too that lives in my yard. i have a fenced-in acre. it started with 2 cats. they were mine. i should have fixed them. but they proliferated and now i have a colony. a lot of kittens have died. i can't afford vet either. thank you for the info about the fish mox. where do you get it?
I feel for you so much. I am sure it is heart breaking for you the lives they live without a loving family. I hope you have been able to tame some of the ferals. I have only a few that I have gotten from the feral mothers by happen stance.
The mox has more than doubled in price. I shopped around last week and finally found it at Chewys for around twelve dollars for 30 count and 250 mg's. Most are around that and many stock it such as Walmart, Amazon, etc. Although I think I remember that Amazon has taken it off, still there are many. Read up on dosage in google but read more than one as they all seem to recommend different amounts and some go by weight of the cat, etc. If you need help I can give you the info I have finally gone with. Dosage is the stumbling block for varied info. I am glad you found this post and the others here as we need all the help we can get. I wish you the best in helping them.
Bless your heart for loving them and. I hope you will consider posting things you have gone through in putting yourself out there for them:)
BLESSINGS

Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Moxy, like Doxy, is available, for use with animals, from foreign sources without prescription. I asked because from what I've heard Moxy is the abx of choice for cats for most illnesses, but I think Lyme needs the strength of Doxy. The cat seems to be taking it ok. I break up a 100mg pill and stuff it in some wet food.
I thought about putting it in food but this baby doesn't eat it all so I wouldn't know what he isn't getting. I feed it with a syringe tube mixed with the right amout of water. I get the capsules. Not sure if it comes in other forms. It would be nice if it was liquid. 100mg's seems like a lot but then it depends on where you get the info. I finally ended up with a half cup of water to one 250 capsule and with a syringe of 3 and a half mg's once a day. But now after reading some more I would do it twice a day for 7 to 10 days. Remembering that this kitten is less than a pound. I only gave it to him once a day. So confusing the variations. Only 5 days did not save the other kitten. This was the first of the instructions I read.
Thank you for your input. I hope you will contribute as much as you can in the future. It is valuable.
Bless you and I hope your pet is getting better.

Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Not sure if it comes in other forms. It would be nice if it was liquid. 100mg's seems like a lot but then it depends on where you get the info.
IIRC, Moxy comes in easily dissolvable powder packets also, for fish.

I use the 100mg tablet only to start with, and cut it up into 17-20mg portions. My cat weighs 9lbs, and is mature. A young kitten is another matter. Not sure I would use Doxy on one that young.

The reason I went with embedding it in food is that I read Doxy tastes bitter. But if the cat takes it via the syringe/eyedropper, great; and I'm sure that gives a more consistent dose.

Checked the cat this morning, nice wet, cold nose today. Hopefully he's beginning to mend. :)

Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
IIRC, Moxy comes in easily dissolvable powder packets also, for fish.

I use the 100mg tablet only to start with, and cut it up into 17-20mg portions. My cat weighs 9lbs, and is mature. A young kitten is another matter. Not sure I would use Doxy on one that young.

The reason I went with embedding it in food is that I read Doxy tastes bitter. But if the cat takes it via the syringe/eyedropper, great; and I'm sure that gives a more consistent dose.

Checked the cat this morning, nice wet, cold nose today. Hopefully he's beginning to mend. :)
That's so wonderful to hear! I cringed to check the baby this am as I stopped the meds yesterday and was afraid he would have declined as the other one did but he seems the same. It is such a relief when they are getting well:) He seems to have taken it well and I was worried of his age also. It seems the biggest side affect is bleeding in the bowels? so I watch for that, have you heard of that? Thanks for letting us know of you cats progress. I didn't know to check their nose. Seems like if it is wet it might be a cold?
BLESSINGS!
ps I had no choice with their age as both were dying.I am just sorry I did not extend the treatment on the first one as I think she would still be alive:(

• Optimistic
Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ilovejcsog

Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Interesting thing happened when I ordered from chewys. They sent me in addition to the mox, a bottle of fish fllex, 100 tablets which is around 25 dollars. So I called and told them and they told me to keep it. Wow, was that a blessing. I am not sure about fish flex and what it treats but I am going to find out. I know it is another antibiotic.

Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That's so wonderful to hear! I cringed to check the baby this am as I stopped the meds yesterday and was afraid he would have declined as the other one did but he seems the same. It is such a relief when they are getting well:) He seems to have taken it well and I was worried of his age also. It seems the biggest side affect is bleeding in the bowels? so I watch for that, have you heard of that? Thanks for letting us know of you cats progress. I didn't know to check their nose. Seems like if it is wet it might be a cold?
BLESSINGS!
I'm definitely not an expert, but his nose is usually cold and wet. I joke that he has weaponized it against me, because when he's affectionate he rubs it on me, and my skin is very sensitive to cold due to my own Lyme-related disease.

His nose is back to lukewarm now, I think a consequence of the antibiotic fighting the disease. I hadn't heard of bleeding in the bowels. I'll keep an eye out for that (nothing so far). Thanks.

Unfortunately the cost has jumped extremely because a prescription is not needed and word of mouth.
Foreign sources?

skycomerce.asia

Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks for the foreign answer. Do you think they are as cheap or cheaper than here in the US?
I have heard of the nose thing but never remember how it goes.
I do notice that the kittens fur is dull where it seems it was shiny before the meds? Also I wonder if these particular meds could sterilize them? Some antibiotics can I have heard? Don't quote me on that, got it somewhere during my many years, lol.
Thanks again for the input!

Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
"i'm in the same boat you are. i am feeding a colony too that lives in my yard. i have a fenced-in acre. it started with 2 cats. they were mine. i should have fixed them. but they proliferated and now i have a colony. a lot of kittens have died. i can't afford vet either. thank you for the info about the fish mox. where do you get it? "

Hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions. If you do just don't answer, OK?
You said your acre is fenced.do they stay in the area?
Does you colony have feline herpes?
One of them here does and the males have spread it by fighting/biting the other males. This I think is what the first baby I was meding had although I hope not as Google says there is little cure and it must be treated all their lives it seems. I am hoping for conjunctivitis as it is cured but can kill them without treatment. Same symptoms pretty much except upper respiratory is evident in Feline herpes. How many cats do you think you have now? Are you able to tame them and adopt them out? I hope so. If that is what you want.
BLESSINGS

Last edited:
Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for the foreign answer. Do you think they are as cheap or cheaper than here in the US?
I have heard of the nose thing but never remember how it goes.
I do notice that the kittens fur is dull where it seems it was shiny before the meds? Also I wonder if these particular meds could sterilize them? Some antibiotics can I have heard? Don't quote me on that, got it somewhere during my many years, lol.
Thanks again for the input!
From a glance, they're about half the price. I've used them twice, everything went excellently.

I don't know anything about sterilizing cats. I would do a search if no one here knows about it. (I use duckduckgo.com rather than google).

I just decided, that the doxy was affecting the cat too detrimentally. He was lethargic and confused. So I'm switching to Moxy, which by all accounts is safer, though maybe not as effective against Lyme. We shall see.

Upvote 0