Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
Soo...I just bought a plane ticket to South Korea. I'll be traveling alone, so I'm a little (or a lot) terrified.

Have you ever traveled by yourself? What was your experience like? If you haven't traveled alone, do you think you would be okay with doing so?

All my solitary travel has been to countries where English is the primary language - so it's less stressful.

Most recently - Australia to New Zealand

Past few years:

Australia to USA
USA to Australia

Making sure you are prepared relieves a good deal of the stress. It should go without saying but:

Write a list of the things you will need to take with you, and what you will need while you are there. That will include $$(their currency, not yours), maps, personal items, passport, clothes etc.

Have an itinerary written down - and once it's final with flight numbers and times and places (and phone #'s) you'll be staying - leave a copy with friends and/or relatives

Make sure you have travel insurance.

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
any time i travel anymore is on my own. I actually prefer it. I can make up my own schedule, I don't have to worry about anyone besides me, etc... but it does mean being much more aware of your surroundings, the people around you, etc... just as a commonsense protective measure.

Upvote 0

Millagirl

Dec 28, 2006
California
✟8,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Travelling alone is great! I've done it a number of times. Since all my friends are married with kids, if I want to go anywhere, I usually go alone. I've driven to the Grand Canyon, spent five weeks in Australia and Hong Kong, and more recently, a week in Helsinki, all alone.

The advantages are that you get to do what you want, when you want, on your schedule. One of my favourite parts about solo travel is getting to eat where I want. Nobody else I know likes Indian food, so when I'm on my own, I can eat all the Indian food I want! :yum:

Have a great trip! I've never been to South Korea, but it sounds very interesting. You'll do great!

Upvote 0

AuburnMeg

Contributor
Apr 24, 2004
✟17,606.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Also, the people of South Korea are so warm and beautiful! They are truly gracious hosts and they will be in awe of you (they're huge on Hollywood starlets and for many you will be the closest thing to it they will have ever seen).
While you are there:

• Say: Annyoung haseyo. Manaso Pankapsumnida! (Hello, nice to meet you!)
    Kamsa Hamnida (thank you)
  • Make sure to pay attention to the fashion; their styles will make it to North America in about two years. And it's cheap so bring another suitcase!
  • If you are able to and it's safe (there's been a lot of tension lately), go to No-Man's Land at northern tip of S. Korea. It's heavily armed with military but there is a tourist part where you can look through telescopes over to the Northern area. If nothing has changed, what you are looking at is a propaganda village. And listen carefully to the music and broadcasts they blast your direction. Pretty surreal.
  • Go to a Karaoke bar!
  • Try Bulgogi and Bibimbap (unless you are a vegetarian). Rice and Kimchi are a must and a staple at every meal.
  • Don't see a movie - chances are you saw it last year.
I am SO excited for you. Seriously.

Can I come with? :sorry:

Going to a karaoke bar is on the top of my list of things to do! :p

Thanks so much for the suggestions! It's nice to hear from someone who's been there and is familiar with the culture!

And...of COURSE you can come with. Are you free at the end of October?? :p

Meg!!!! How exciting...I've only ever traveled to other places in the US alone, so I'm no help but how fun! Eeeeeeeeeee....I'll be praying for you..

and also...can I go with you?....then I'll just go to the 38th parallel and by the grace of God get through...

Thank you!! And yes, you can come too! It will be a CF party in South Korea! :D

(Miss you, btw!!)

I normally travel alone. Less fun but more relaxing.

When I went to Indonesia my sister was with me so that was a nice change and especially nice that I was with someone else who had NO CLUE what was going on when we reached the Taiwan airport and were struggling to figure out what plane to get on next as (obviously) English signs weren't there to help us.

I would say don't be afraid to go up to people and ask for help. Yes, most of them will not speak English but you may get lucky or they will at least point you in the right direction.

I was told that there are English signs at the airport there. We'll see about that. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, lol.

I always travel alone, it's not scary as long as you don't paint yourself as a target, and if you learn Korean since you're going to Korea, you will ahead of the pack. :p

I don't think I can learn Korean in less than two months, but I will try to learn some key phrases. I'll have a native speaker with me a lot of the time that I'm there, so hopefully communication shouldn't be too much of an issue.

What major airport are you flying out of? I flew out of Pittsburgh to England and it was amazing. As long as you aren't afraid to ask for help, you should be fine. Also, if you miss your connection, try to remain calm. Most of the time, they will let you get on the next plane. It can hinder your plans a little bit but it doesn't do any good to get flustered/frustrated.

Have a great time!

I'm leaving out of New Orleans with a layover in Chicago and a short layover in Tokyo (no worries about missing a connecting flight though because I won't be changing planes).

On the way back, I'm flying through San Francisco.

Missing a connecting flight was one of my biggest concerns, so my total flight time to South Korea is about 7 hours longer than it could have been. The flight that I wanted went through San Francisco with no other stops, but they layover there was just over an hour, and I was worried about not making it from New Orleans in time. The one I chose should work out much better I think. :)

Upvote 0

AuburnMeg

Contributor
Apr 24, 2004
✟17,606.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
All my solitary travel has been to countries where English is the primary language - so it's less stressful.

Most recently - Australia to New Zealand

Past few years:

Australia to USA
USA to Australia

Making sure you are prepared relieves a good deal of the stress. It should go without saying but:

Write a list of the things you will need to take with you, and what you will need while you are there. That will include $$(their currency, not yours), maps, personal items, passport, clothes etc.

Have an itinerary written down - and once it's final with flight numbers and times and places (and phone #'s) you'll be staying - leave a copy with friends and/or relatives

Make sure you have travel insurance.

I'd love to visit Australia one day.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep them in mind. A list is going to be a must for me because without one, I WILL forget things.

Thanks to everyone for responding. I'm so happy to hear stories of pleasant experiences traveling alone. I know that I still have to be very aware of my surroundings, but my mind is much more at ease now.

Upvote 0