AuburnMeg

Contributor
Apr 24, 2004
✟17,606.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Soo...I just bought a plane ticket to South Korea. I'll be traveling alone, so I'm a little (or a lot) terrified.

Have you ever traveled by yourself? What was your experience like? If you haven't traveled alone, do you think you would be okay with doing so?

traingosorry

I'm what Willis was talkin' bout.
Mar 10, 2004
✟14,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Soo...I just bought a plane ticket to South Korea. I'll be traveling alone, so I'm a little (or a lot) terrified.

Have you ever traveled by yourself? What was your experience like? If you haven't traveled alone, do you think you would be okay with doing so?

I went to S. Korea with a bunch of people I didn't know! AMAZING! I went to teach English and I made friends with the people I was teaching and the family I stayed with. What's taking you there?

Upvote 0

traingosorry

Mar 10, 2004
✟14,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I should mention I am contemplating going back to Britain and Europe on a solo trip. I'd love to re-do Italy and Spain again. I have people to stay with in Britain so that bit isn't so freaky but Italy had very few English speakers and I remember that making me uncomfortable. All the more reason to learn some romantic languages. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

AuburnMeg

Contributor
Apr 24, 2004
✟17,606.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I went to S. Korea with a bunch of people I didn't know! AMAZING! I went to teach English and I made friends with the people I was teaching and the family I stayed with. What's taking you there?

One of my best friends is teaching English there, so I'm going to visit. :)

I'm happy to know that you had such a great experience! I know he's really liked it there, and I'm excited to have the opportunity to go!

Upvote 0

AuburnMeg

Contributor
Apr 24, 2004
✟17,606.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I should mention I am contemplating going back to Britain and Europe on a solo trip. I'd love to re-do Italy and Spain again. I have people to stay with in Britain so that bit isn't so freaky but Italy had very few English speakers and I remember that making me uncomfortable. All the more reason to learn some romantic languages. :thumbsup:

Oh, I hope you get to go! That would be incredible! I would LOVE to visit Spain and Italy (and a million other places). :p

Upvote 0

septemberskies

You can find me on cloud no.9
Sep 16, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Visit site
✟19,453.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Democrat
I've never traveled out of the country alone but I have visited other states solo. It was a lot of fun because I could go wherever I wanted and not worry if the person I was with became bored. I did miss turning to someone else to share a moment but I still was able to have a good time.

Upvote 0

SweetDee

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.
Jul 13, 2010
Hogwarts
✟22,875.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Ekkkk I am so glad you bought the ticket! Did Eric go crazy with excitement? DETAILS WOMAN.

I would be terrified to travel to another country alone. I would do it but it would be terrifying. I wonder how many awkward interactions you are going to have on your trip....please keep track!

Upvote 0

Rhye

Legend
Mar 29, 2010
✟43,006.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
One of my best friends is teaching English there, so I'm going to visit. :)

I'm happy to know that you had such a great experience! I know he's really liked it there, and I'm excited to have the opportunity to go!

My friends sister is also teaching there. How awesome!
I can imagine how scary it would be, but knowing the culture I would say you would be welcomed well. Now, if you were going to Armenia, I would tell you a LOT more about the culture and what to expect, but from what I know about Asian culture they are very hospitable. What an amazing experience. I am so happy for you!

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I went to Ecuador with people I didn't know.

But I wouldn't mind traveling alone and I wouldn't be afraid. Just use common sense. Carry around a weapon of some type, knife, pepper spray, whatever. And assert yourself, don't be passive or act like you're afraid. Look people in the eyes, say hi or smile.

Reactions: AuburnMeg
Upvote 0

AuburnMeg

Contributor
Apr 24, 2004
✟17,606.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ekkkk I am so glad you bought the ticket! Did Eric go crazy with excitement? DETAILS WOMAN.

I would be terrified to travel to another country alone. I would do it but it would be terrifying. I wonder how many awkward interactions you are going to have on your trip....please keep track!

Haha, yeah. I was actually on Skype with him as I was purchasing it. ^_^

I'm going to get one of those pedicures with the fish, which is almost as terrifying as flying by myself. I have to do it though. Have to. :p

I will keep a photo journal of every single akward interaction. Thank goodness for just about everything being digital now. If I had to bring back prints, it might be too heavy to bring on the plane. I have so many awkward moments.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AuburnMeg

Contributor
Apr 24, 2004
✟17,606.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My friends sister is also teaching there. How awesome!
I can imagine how scary it would be, but knowing the culture I would say you would be welcomed well. Now, if you were going to Armenia, I would tell you a LOT more about the culture and what to expect, but from what I know about Asian culture they are very hospitable. What an amazing experience. I am so happy for you!

Thank you! I think actually getting there will be the worst part. After I get through that, I should be okay, lol.

Upvote 0

traingosorry

Mar 10, 2004
✟14,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Also, the people of South Korea are so warm and beautiful! They are truly gracious hosts and they will be in awe of you (they're huge on Hollywood starlets and for many you will be the closest thing to it they will have ever seen).
While you are there:

• Say: Annyoung haseyo. Manaso Pankapsumnida! (Hello, nice to meet you!)
    Kamsa Hamnida (thank you)

• Make sure to pay attention to the fashion; their styles will make it to North America in about two years. And it's cheap so bring another suitcase!

• If you are able to and it's safe (there's been a lot of tension lately), go to No-Man's Land at northern tip of S. Korea. It's heavily armed with military but there is a tourist part where you can look through telescopes over to the Northern area. If nothing has changed, what you are looking at is a propaganda village. And listen carefully to the music and broadcasts they blast your direction. Pretty surreal.

• Go to a Karaoke bar!

• Try Bulgogi and Bibimbap (unless you are a vegetarian). Rice and Kimchi are a must and a staple at every meal.
  • Don't see a movie - chances are you saw it last year.

I am SO excited for you. Seriously.

Can I come with? :sorry:

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm a natural loner, so I LOVE traveling alone, doesn't bother me a smidgen. The first times that I traveled alone, I was a little nervous, but mostly excited, and nothing bad happened. Once you get the hang of planes, trains, subways, taxis, etc... you learn how to get around on your own without feeling lost and frantic.

So... forge ahead, Meg!

Upvote 0

Amber.ly

Predictably eccentric and honestly hypocritical
Mar 1, 2010
Gone- PM if you need me
✟22,486.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I normally travel alone. Less fun but more relaxing.

When I went to Indonesia my sister was with me so that was a nice change and especially nice that I was with someone else who had NO CLUE what was going on when we reached the Taiwan airport and were struggling to figure out what plane to get on next as (obviously) English signs weren't there to help us.

I would say don't be afraid to go up to people and ask for help. Yes, most of them will not speak English but you may get lucky or they will at least point you in the right direction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have traveled alone, not abroad however. The thought of flying alone abroad anywhere isn't particularly scary to me, as long as I have someone to meet me as soon as I'm off the plane and truly on my own. Lol. If I didn't have anybody there to meet me I might just become "Ahhhh!!! What do I do now?!?!" Hahahaha...^_^ Nah, I'd put on my 'I know precisely what I'm a doing' face and then I'd figured what I would need to do, but I'd still be scared inside. :D

Upvote 0

Tink

our God is faithful. ♥
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2004
Texas
✟56,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
What major airport are you flying out of? I flew out of Pittsburgh to England and it was amazing. As long as you aren't afraid to ask for help, you should be fine. Also, if you miss your connection, try to remain calm. Most of the time, they will let you get on the next plane. It can hinder your plans a little bit but it doesn't do any good to get flustered/frustrated.

Have a great time!

Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private

I have, but I've never been on a plane by myself. So, I applaud you there. Traingo and broken gave you some good advice there. I would trust someone like you to travel by herself because you've got a strong personality, you're very self-assured and more likely the type to be aware of your surroundings. That's important when you're in a different country and alone.

When I traveled by myself, it did get lonely and a little boring during the last part of it, but music saved me. It's also really nice to just relax and not have to think about someone else to entertain because you're more concerned with your own needs. That can be a nice change of pace. I *can't* travel by plane by myself, but I would be okay with it if I had to (like in a hypothetical world). I love airports. I'm a real sicko, I know a lot of people hate them. It's just really exciting to me to be at the hub of so many different destinations and I have a bit of an independent streak, so I'm okay with travelling solo.

Anyway.. I have nothing really great to add, just plan and plan WELL. Have a great trip!

Reactions: AuburnMeg
Upvote 0