• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Trauma, PTSD, & Dissociation Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Some Organizations Providing Support and Information for Trauma & Dissociation
David Baldwin's Trauma Information Pages
Crisis and Trauma Resource Institute
Hope Recovery
International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation
PTSD: National Center for PTSD

Sidran Foundation

The resources following in this thread may be downloaded for personal use. Reprint for any other reason must contact Kristen.NewCreation for permission.

Inpatient Options for Trauma/PTSD/Dissociation

When contacting an inpatient unit, ask questions that would be helpful to you and your treatment. It may be beneficial to make the call together with your therapist to inquire about the program. Links open into new windows.

Del Amo Trauma Recovery/Military Trauma Program
California

MacLean Hospital Dissociative Disorders and Trauma Program
Massachusetts

River Oaks Hospital Trauma Based Disorders (The New Orleans Institute)
Louisiana

Sheppard Pratt Trauma Disorders Program
Maryland

The Center Posttraumatic Disorders Program
Washington, DC

The Meadows (treats Trauma, PTSD. Addictions and other issues)
Arizona

QUESTIONS FOR CONSIDERATION BEFORE ENTERING AN INPATIENTTRAUMA PROGRAM

Trauma/PTSD/Dissociation may be used depending on the issue you are seeking treatment
for.
See if you can talk to the unit manager rather than admissions, but if not, feel free to ask ad-
missions, and if necessary, ask them to get back to you. You may want to make the call to
the program with your therapist so that way if there are follow up questions you may ask
them together. Your therapist may have other questions you might not think of.

Is your trauma program a separate unit or on a general unit with other patients?

If on a general unit, are there rooming arrangements set up special for trauma patients?

Are there 1 or 2 trauma groups for the day, oris the entire day filled with trauma specific
groups?

Do your group therapists have specialized training in trauma treatment and recovery?

Does your program offer individual therapy in addition to group?

If so, how many times a week?

Does your individual therapist have specialized training in trauma treatment and recovery?

Would my therapist there communicate with my therapist at home?

How long is the program?

Do you take my insurance (ask if it’s in or out of network)?

What do I need to bring to the program?

May I bring my favorite stuffed animal?

Can I bring my laptop/ipad?

If applicable:
I have a lot of flashbacks. What will happen if I start flashing there? How do staff generally
deal with flashbacks?

I have DID, and I don’t always have control of my parts. Have you worked with patients with alters before?

How do you handle it when another part comes out who isn’t really supposed to be out at that time?

Last edited:

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Grounding When Triggered—Things to Do

Be compassionate and patient with yourself
Bite into a lemon to use the sour taste to force you into the here and now
Call a friend who knows about your trauma and triggers and is a safe person
Call your therapist
Carry a small object (such as a colorful/irregular rock), and use it for tactile and sight grounding
Create a “safe place” in your mind, then utilize it when triggered
Deep breath
Find a physical activity to participate in
Focus on the here and now the best you can
Have supportive person remind you it’s a flashback and not happening right now—it’s a memory
Hold on to something cold like a bag of vegetables or an ice cube
Identify and name things you touch
Identify and name things you hear
Identify and name things you see
Identify and name where you are physically—what building, what room
Look at the date and time on your computer
Keep a small container of play-doh available to smell and manipulate
Play with your jewelry
Play or pet your dog or cat
Pray
Put a cold cloth on your face or neck
Put on soothing music that is from today, not the past, or loud music that will bring you into today
Remind yourself this will pass—it’s a memory
Replace negative statements that you identify with some positive ones
Smell perfume or a candle or another scented object
Snuggle a stuffed animal
Squish a stress ball
Suck on a piece of hard candy
Take a shower (hot or cold)
Take time to recover
Try to identify the trigger so you can address it specifically
Try to avoid blaming yourself for what you did or did not do during the trauma
Try to move your arms and legs instead of staying dissociated and stuck
Try to remind yourself the worst is over because the trauma was the worst
Use positive affirmations
Use a lot of self-talk—remind yourself that you are safe now
Use visualization to regroup and focus on something besides the triggers
Use your creative skills—draw, write, scribble, etc.
Wear something all the time that is from the present only, not from the past, and then touch it and remind yourself it’s from the present.
Wrap up in a blanket, mimicking someone holding you

Upvote 0

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Scriptures for Comfort

Psalm 34:15 The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their cry

Psalm 34:17-19 The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. A righteous man may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all

Psalm 147:3 He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds

John 14:1 Jesus said, "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me."

Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.

2 Corinthians 4:16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.

Psalm 18:28 You, O Lord, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light.

1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.

Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you.

Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

Psalm 63:8 My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.

Psalm 10:17-18a You hear, O LORD, the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry, defending the fatherless and the oppressed

Psalm 22:24 For he has not despised or disdained the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help.

Psalm 68:5-6a A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families, he leads forth the prisoners with singing;

Psalm 119:76 May your unfailing love be my comfort, according to your promise to your servant.

Psalm 29:11 The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace.

Psalm 9:18 But the needy will not always be forgotten, nor the hope of the afflicted ever perish.

Matthew 5:3-4 Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

2 Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Upvote 0

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Positive Coping Skills for PTSD

Find a therapist or physician and begin to address your trauma and PTSD

Educate yourself about trauma and PTSD

Join a support group in person or online for PTSD or trauma

Use relaxation

Deep Breathing

Muscle Relaxation

Meditation/Prayer

Quiet Music

Stretching

Find Positive Activities

Apply Coping Skills for PTSD Symptoms

Tell yourself it’s now, not then—these are memories.

Talk about them with someone you trust.

Slow down the rapid heart rate and remind yourself it will pass.

Keep your eyes open during flashbacks.

Get up and move around.

Drink cold water or wash your face with a cold wash cloth.

Call someone you trust.

Tell yourself you are safe.

Turn on soft music that is associated with now, not then.

When having nightmares, get out of bed and orient yourself to the here and now.

Read a book or do a quiet hobby.

Do a light exercise to relax your muscles and release the tension.

Write things down so when you can focus again, you can take care of what you need to do.

If prescribed, take the medication as prescribed for your symptoms.

Practice your coping skills daily, even if not having symptoms, so they are more natural to use when having difficulties and needing them.

Volunteer your time to reach outside yourself and focus on others, while increasing your connection to the community and your contribution or self-worth by giving of yourself.

Do basic self-care exercises such as eating regularly and healthy, sleeping regularly, and doing things to care for you.

Journal, read or do something that allow you to spend time in personal reflection, personal growth, personal enjoyment or otherwise, decreases stress and increases inner strength.

Listen to yourself and your personal needs based on your thoughts, your feelings and your gut responses. You know yourself better than anyone. If you feel you need to take some time to work on playing more and being less serious, you most likely do.

Allow yourself to do things that bring you smiles or fun. Sing, play games, play with children, be optimistic about something (even if it seems trivial), learn something new like a hobby.

If necessary for your safety, move geographically.

Begin an exercise program as approved by your physician.

Use grounding exercises to help you manage when triggered. (See the file, Grounding When Triggered on the Trauma page).

Fight unhealthy messages of guilt from the trauma. As a survivor of trauma, you did not ask for the trauma, and you did not do anything to prompt the trauma to occur, even if the perpetrator said you did. Those are games and messages they say to blame the victims of trauma so they can get away with the trauma and leave the victim thinking it is all their fault so hopefully they won’t tell. So don’t buy into those old messages. They were lies. It wasn’t your fault.

Avoid the negative coping skills if at all possible. Alcohol and drugs, self-injury, gambling, etc. and things that put you at risk of feeling worse and doing more harm to yourself. You’ve already experienced enough harm due to the trauma. Give yourself every opportunity at this point to have the freedom to recover from the trauma you experienced, and to fight the hopelessness and helplessness that comes with it.

You are strong. You survived the trauma. You can make it through the memories and the symptoms of the PTSD. Have faith in yourself. You are so worth it!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.