Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Each Bible translation committee had different goals in mind. One of the decisions someone had to make is how literal to make the translation. How would you want the ancient Hebrew or (somewhat ancient) Koine Greek word for (cooking) "pot" translated into English?

If the translators were translating literally, they might just use the word "pot." However, this means that the reader needs to understand what the word meant to the writer (who choose the word based on his understanding of his intended readers). If you were thinking of a modern day pot (made of metal), then you would have, to some degree, misunderstood a passage that discussed breaking a pot.

Perhaps the translators should instead translate the word into English as "clay pot." This is less literal and more dynamic. It helps a modern day reader have a better grasp of what the original writer meant, without having to know certain things about the writer's and intended readers' cultures.

The more literal, the more background is needed to understand what it meant to the writer (for his intended audience). The more dynamic the translation, the less background--however, that hinders seeing what words the original writer used.

Sometimes we have questions about a passage that require an examination of exactly what a word meant. When this happens a dynamic translation may very well not be useful--or even cause you to misunderstand something.

Sometimes we have questions that are only answered when we understand the meaning of the whole sentence (or paragraph), and breaking the passage into a word-for-word understanding leads one to an incorrect understanding of the passage (such as if an idiom was used).

I use several translations depending on what I am wondering about. The most literal is not a translation at all, but is the original language (which requires the most study for accurate understanding)

The most literal English translation I use is a combination of an interlinear Bible and the New American Standard Bible (NASB). The interlinear shows me exactly what words were used in the original manuscript (if I look up the meaning of each Greek word). The goal of the NASB translation team was to be relatively literal.

I like the New Living Translation (NLT) as my most dynamic translation (The Message is even more dynamic, but I personally don't care for it.)

In between the NASB and NLT is the New International Version (NIV), which has been a very popular translation (and my main Bible). (I only use the 1984 edition [for more than one reason]). The focus of the NIV translation committee was more along the lines of wanting to convey the meaning of sentences without abandoning literality.

I've glossed over a lot of things (such as the fact that there is more than one "original" Greek manuscript), but hopefully, this will make deciding on a translation easier.

0. Original language (Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek)--the most literal
1. NASB
2. NIV
3. NLT
4. The Message--the most dynamic

There are other good translations, but I'm not including them because I don't know to what degree they are literal or dynamic. (Note that there are also some bad translations which should be avoided.)

To choose a translation, just read a couple paragraphs in a few places in each translation (the same passages in each translation) and see which you prefer. You might choose a Study Bible, which includes comments by the publisher to make some passages clearer. (Their comments are not mixed in with the actual Scriptures.)

If you want a deeper understanding than you are getting from reading, then seek the Lord for better understanding. If you want to know what other people's understanding has been, then you can look at commentaries (books) for that book of the Bible. Do not presume that a commentator's understanding is the correct understanding.

By the way, I would recommend the New King James Version (NKJV) over the KJV.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

I am wanting to study the Bible. I am using the KJV as my main translation. I was wondering what other translations are good for cross referencing?

Thank you and God bless!

:)

Hi; a Strong's Concordance numbers (also Online) can be a good help in cross-referencing words. I do think the King James is good as an all rounder, even if it requires a bit of effort on the surface to read in some passages. A paraphrased version can help to get the general gist of a long narrative passage but care must be taken not to rely on a paraphrase for serious word study. The King James was translated in a fairly formal way, which is good for word studies.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have found that the new NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible to be an excellent reference to understand what the various book meant to the original hearers. Often we understand the books through the filter of our 21st Century culture, which is a mistake. We have to understand them as though we were in the original audience.

Reactions: Big Drew
Upvote 0

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
The Comprehensive Bible/Comprehensive Crossrefs can be found under Accordancebible.com software as well as printed matter. It gives several kinds of references. It's a formal equivalent version. That software is great and can be installed for use offline on Windows, Mac, iOS and Linux (under WINE); with Android forthcoming. The free package is called Accordance 12 Lite. The software has a very helpful forum community which is not bogged down with irrelevant off-topic discussion. Shopping there also doesn't get as much on Your nerves as a certain competitor which consumes both Your patience and capacity of making decisions
/Originally posted April 19. 5:14 AM local time
Previously EDITed Apr. 21. 6:55 PM local time: typos

EDIT2 May 1. 2017 7:44 PM local time, Previously EDITed EDIT Apr. 21. 6:55 PM: At first I just considered then decided to buy myself a Hebrew Greek keyed to English NIV84 Bible, i.e. the preceding version (not the current English version) in bonded leather. What I bought is the old Edition. Gender-neutral language as in the current version makes for an even more dynamic equivalent translation

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The New International Version is more comprehensive, always the first place I go to compare the KJV. The New King James has the old English elegance and is a much easier read. There isn't a whole lot of difference between translations but you probably want to avoid paraphrases.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Apex

Radical Centrist & Ethicist
Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The point of using multiple translations in your studies is to see translation and textual differences. As such, you want to use translations that have different textual foundations and translation perspectives. Remember, the English Bible is merely a tool to help understand the Greek and Hebrew texts.

Currently, the KJV and the NKJV are the only translations that use a Greek majority text. Both are fairly literal translations. You said you use the KJV, so you are good here.

Second, you want to choose two translations that use a Greek critical text. Why two? Because this group is large and has a solid selection of translation methodologies to choose from. I would exclude the paraphrases. Personal favorites for the more literal translations: ESV and LEB. Personal favorites for the more dynamic translations: NET and NIV.

I suggest: NKJV, ESV, and NET. This gives you the most translation/textual coverage in English.

Upvote 0