Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
In Mt.28:20 it is usually rendered "to/unto/until...the age". In Judith 17:16 i've seen "for ever" or "unto all eternity". Is there a free online source that lists all occurrences of ἕως αἰῶνος in the NT & LXX? If not, what are the options for purchasing such a resource?

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
In Mt.28:20 it is usually rendered "to/unto/until...the age". In Judith 17:16 i've seen "for ever" or "unto all eternity". Is there a free online source that lists all occurrences of ἕως αἰῶνος in the NT & LXX? If not, what are the options for purchasing such a resource?
I find the BLB concordance useful when I want to find out where a particular form of a word is.
Hope this helps.
[I also use it to help me harmonize verses:]

Prewrath?

http://www.eliyah.com/lexicon.html

2193. heos heh'-oce of uncertain affinity;
a conjunction, preposition and adverb of continuance, until (of time and place):--even (until, unto), (as) far (as), how long, (un-)til(-l), (hither-, un-, up) to, while(-s).
165. aion ahee-ohn' from the same as 104;
properly, an age; by extension, perpetuity (also past); by implication, the world;
especially (Jewish) a Messianic period (present or future):--age, course, eternal, (for) ever(-more), (n-)ever, (beginning of the , while the) world (began, without end). Compare 5550.

G165 (YLT)

Click on the form of the greek word you want to look at, then it will show the verses it is used in. [list is located near top of page]
I prefer YLT, but you can view various bible translations also.

TR — 128x in 9 unique form(s)
αἰῶνα — 33x
αἰωνας — 1x
αἰῶνας — 30x
αἶῶνας — 1x
αἰῶνι — 8x
αἰῶνός — 1x
αἰῶνος — 24x αἰῶνος
αἰώνων — 29x
αἰῶσιν — 1x

YLT)
Matthew 28:20
teaching them to observe all, whatever I did command you,)
and lo, I am with you all the days -- till<2193> the full-end<4930> of the age<165> [amen].'

Greek and Hebrew Reader Online

Matt 28:20
διδάσκοντες αὐτοὺς τηρεῖν πάντα ὅσα ἐνετειλάμην1 ὑμῖν.
καὶ ἰδοὺ ἐγὼ μεθ’ ὑμῶν εἰμι πάσας τὰς ἡμέρας ἕως<2193> τῆς συντελείας<4930> τοῦ αἰῶνος<165>.

You can view 5 of the various greek texts of a verse here, if interested:

Greek New Testament - Parallel Greek New Testament by John Hurt

Stephens 1550 Textus Receptus
didaskonteV autouV threin panta osa eneteilamhn umin
kai idou egw meq umwn eimi pasaV taV hmeraV ewV thV sunteleiaV tou aiwnoV amhn

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian

It's about 66 times in the LXX, excluding apocryphal books. You can use onlinebible.net in combination which the Analytic LXX module I developed at Online Bible Tools and do searching. Results I got were too long to list here. Turning on "footnotes" will also allow searching Strongs numbers in the LXX.

Upvote 0

M Strain Jr

Nov 18, 2018
Cary
✟16,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The end of Matthew 28:20 reads:
ἐγὼ μεθ᾿ ὑμῶν εἰμι πάσας τὰς ἡμέρας ἕως τῆς συντελείας τοῦ αἰῶνος
I am with you all the days until the consummation of the age​

In Judith 16:17, the verse ends with ἕως αἰῶνος. From what I can see, αἰῶνος as a noun is lacking the genitive article, so it seems to be literally translated "until an age". It doesn't mean "forever", especially since there are other words that mean that. The meaning is probably "for an age".

When I say "age", I mean a lifetime or maybe until the end of this world. But it is a period of time that will end, not for an eternity. We find this also in Sirach 24:9, where of course the meaning is that the person will not fail for the rest of their life, since death would prevent a person from the chance of failure.

I wonder though why you're curious about this. I just did an interesting Bible study because of your question, so I kind of wish to know your purpose. :)

Upvote 0