not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Can I just say that their is no such thing as rebaptising in the Church of England.

We have several services to welcome those into our church family, or to acknowledge their faith publicly, who have already been baptised.

For example, those who have been baptised as babies, may wish to make a public declaration with their own mouths.

Those who have left and returned, may want to say that they are back.

Those who were baptised and confirmed at another church in the Deanery or at the cathedral, may was to say thanks for their baptism in front of their own church family.

Affirmation of baptism promises are a public way saying that “I am a follower of Christ”. I would imagine that this would be quite an important step for transgender people to say that they are still Christian with their new identity, or perhaps have become Christians because of their new identity. This is especially as some so-called Christians and Christian denominations are hostile to anyone who is different.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
So if you write in a way which encourages acceptance of transgendered people, that would be promotion under these rules.

The Church of England doesn’t get a say in whom to accept. We have to accept everyone who comes through our doors.

By accepting, I mean making welcome, ministering to them, helping them to grow in their Christian Faith, using them in mission and ministry.

• Agree
Reactions: seeking.IAM
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
The Church of England doesn’t get a say in whom to accept. We have to accept everyone who comes through our doors.

By accepting, I mean making welcome, ministering to them, helping them to grow in their Christian Faith, using them in mission and ministry.

I think the issue is that some don't distinguish between acceptance and affirmation.

The Church should accept everybody, but not everything about them must be affirmed in a public, ceremonial manner. In our religious tradition, these sorts of issues would mostly be left up to the individual congregations, as they are considered adiaphora, not being proper sacraments. That means practices vary from congregation to congregation according to their discernment.

I think the CoE made the right call, and I don't think it's just a matter of one particular party being against transgenderism, but also keeping focus on the Gospel, rather than the Church merely becoming a place of civil religion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shropshire Anglican

Nov 18, 2018
Shrewsbury
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I am deeply uneasy about this. While I understand that no vicar will be forced to carry out such a ceremony, there will undoubtedly be pressure on some to do so. At times I worry about my church. Perhaps if it remained Bible centred rather than society centred we wouldn't be having discussions like this.

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I am deeply uneasy about this. While I understand that no vicar will be forced to carry out such a ceremony, there will undoubtedly be pressure on some to do so. At times I worry about my church. Perhaps if it remained Bible centred rather than society centred we wouldn't be having discussions like this.
What is interesting is that the bishop who has chaired the committee for this initiative is also the chair of the Church of England Evangelical Council.

I know Bishop Julian well and I trust him as a true and faithful servant of gospel teaching. He is as far from the liberal wing as you can get.

I think he is true to our calling to be an inclusive church, ie Welcoming everyone, warts and all, and using discipleship to mould them into the person God wants them to be.

There is no forcing of a vicar to carry out an affirmation. As with any affirmation, it is a bespoke rite.

Upvote 0

Shropshire Anglican

Nov 18, 2018
Shrewsbury
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I agree, the church should be welcoming, but not at the expense of Biblical teaching. I would welcome transgender individuals, as I would anyone from the LGBT community, but for them to be Christians and members of the church they would need to change their lifestyles. People can and do change as St. Paul says in 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, and I know of many LGBT people who changed when Jesus saved them.

I have never met the Bishop in question so can only take your word for it with regard to his faith, but I find this affirmation wrongheaded. No matter what anyone says, it is affirming a lifestyle that is un-biblical.

What is interesting is that the bishop who has chaired the committee for this initiative is also the chair of the Church of England Evangelical Council.

I know Bishop Julian well and I trust him as a true and faithful servant of gospel teaching. He is as far from the liberal wing as you can get.

I think he is true to our calling to be an inclusive church, ie Welcoming everyone, warts and all, and using discipleship to mould them into the person God wants them to be.

There is no forcing of a vicar to carry out an affirmation. As with any affirmation, it is a bespoke rite.

Upvote 0