Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Amongst girls in Sweden.

Teenage transgender row splits Sweden as dysphoria diagnoses soar by 1,500%

The immediate trigger for Von Sivers’s themed week is a report from Sweden’s Board of Health and Welfare which confirmed a 1,500% rise between 2008 and 2018 in gender dysphoria diagnoses among 13- to 17-year-olds born as girls.

But it also reflects a rapid change in public opinion. Just a year ago, there seemed few official obstacles left in the way of young people who wanted gender reassignment treatment.

So the article goes on to talk about trans activists who don't want to discuss this and those who are acknowledging these numbers seem high and perhaps there's a fair amount of misdiagnosing going on because of social circumstances.

From what I've read, a diagnosis really is no more in depth than asking the patient about their feelings and how long they've had these feelings.

I'll be the first to point out statistics can be misleading. If 3 teenage girls were diagnosed as trans in 2008, then a 1500% increase isn't really that big and can be easily explained by attitudes towards the trans community being more accepting. To be clear though, Sweden seemed like a place that was already pretty accepting and I don't think that's the case.

To me, it seems like perhaps a more reasonable approach based upon more stringent scientific standards is needed.

Thoughts?

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Amongst girls in Sweden.

Teenage transgender row splits Sweden as dysphoria diagnoses soar by 1,500%

The immediate trigger for Von Sivers’s themed week is a report from Sweden’s Board of Health and Welfare which confirmed a 1,500% rise between 2008 and 2018 in gender dysphoria diagnoses among 13- to 17-year-olds born as girls.

But it also reflects a rapid change in public opinion. Just a year ago, there seemed few official obstacles left in the way of young people who wanted gender reassignment treatment.

So the article goes on to talk about trans activists who don't want to discuss this and those who are acknowledging these numbers seem high and perhaps there's a fair amount of misdiagnosing going on because of social circumstances.

From what I've read, a diagnosis really is no more in depth than asking the patient about their feelings and how long they've had these feelings.

I'll be the first to point out statistics can be misleading. If 3 teenage girls were diagnosed as trans in 2008, then a 1500% increase isn't really that big and can be easily explained by attitudes towards the trans community being more accepting. To be clear though, Sweden seemed like a place that was already pretty accepting and I don't think that's the case.

To me, it seems like perhaps a more reasonable approach based upon more stringent scientific standards is needed.

Thoughts?

Additionally, diagnosis can become more widespread over time.
Also, discussion can lead to firmer decision making.

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'll be the first to point out statistics can be misleading. If 3 teenage girls were diagnosed as trans in 2008, then a 1500% increase isn't really that big
I think you have something here. Neither the Guardian or any other media outlet i can find will state just how many diagnoses there were in this time frame i would guess the actual number is incredibly small.

I also can't find out if the diagnoses were actually gender dysphoria or if that was put down as a differential diagnosis.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think you have something here. Neither the Guardian or any other media outlet i can find will state just how many diagnoses there were in this time frame i would guess the actual number is incredibly small.

I also can't find out if the diagnoses were actually gender dysphoria or if that was put down as a differential diagnosis.

It's certainly possible....without a baseline number there's no real way to know.

I'm inclined to not believe that's the case though...by the reaction of trans activists. It would be an easy thing to shoot down the argument that a lot of improper diagnoses are happening.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Since this is a relatively new concept and has only recently earned acceptance I can see how early numbers would be low compared to today. I am not about to propose an Alex Jones type of conspiracy on the order of turning the frogs gay.

Well, for comparison, we have autism...which has both increased acceptance as a diagnosis and increased ability to diagnose.

The Real Reasons Autism Rates Are Up in the U.S.

The latest estimate of autism prevalence—1 in 68—is up 30 percent from the 1 in 88 rate reported in 2008, and more than double the 1 in 150 rate in 2000. In fact, the trend has been steeply upward since the early 1990s, not only in the U.S. but globally, says Maureen Durkin, who heads the network site in Wisconsin.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
A friend of mine works with many body dysmorphia patients, including kids. He says 80% of diagnoses maintain their born/assigned gender.

But that involves quite a while at the clinic and quite a few sessions.

Maybe he can give an estimate on the rates of false diagnosis.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums