Traditionalism

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SpiritualAntiseptic

Traditionalism doesn't mean "doing things like they did along time ago"- that's the theme of the liturgical movement that strongly influenced VII reforms.

Traditionalism means a continuation, keeping up of the old, but in a progession. So yes, for a traditionalist, they want to do things by the 1962 Missal. The 1960s weren't the first changes- they accept and respect the reforms of Pius X.

Ever see the movie Dark City? That's one way they view the Norvus Ordo- a mixture of different times and places. Traditionalists don't want things frozen or to go back to a certain time- they just want 1963 to follow 1962. They don't want the Mass of 1970 to be a collision of A.D. 400 Roman practices, A.D. 700 Byzantine practices, A.D. 1300 Chalcedon practices.. all rolled up into one.

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
There are people who have an understanding of the centuries long trends, movements, and growth of Catholicism. However, they seem to be outnumbered by those who are largely ignorant that anything was that different centuries ago. It's weird seeing people decry things as innovation that were common or standard for Augustine or Aquinas.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if I'm a "traditionalist," but I sure would like the Church to stay true to her own teachings and retain her unique identity. I'm sick of singing protestant and ill-conceived Catholic hymns that cloud theological teachings. I don't think we should be singing hymns during the distribution of the Eucharist that include exclusively words like "wine," "wheat," and "bread." Sure, scripture uses these words in relation to Eucharistic stories and ideas, but I think the misinformation held by the laity needs to be corrected by a more direct and accurate representation of the faith. I think hymns should teach; I think we should sing about eating the "Body" and "Blood." Moreover, where are the hymns on Our Mother? They're virtually non-existent. I want a Catholic identity. I didn't convert to sing protestant hymns.

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
There is nothing wrong with emphasizing Catholic identity, especially when it is done to reinforce a theological point. The problem is when the expression of Catholicism of a particular era is taken as the pinnacle of Catholic identity and anything that deviates from it are seen as dangerous innovations even if they draw upon ancient traditions that had fallen out of favor during that particular era.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
There is nothing wrong with emphasizing Catholic identity, especially when it is done to reinforce a theological point. The problem is when the expression of Catholicism of a particular era is taken as the pinnacle of Catholic identity and anything that deviates from it are seen as dangerous innovations even if they draw upon ancient traditions that had fallen out of favor during that particular era.
Oh, I see what you're getting at. Hailing the 50s as the hey-day of Catholicism is a bit myopic. I'm a gothic architecture and Gregorian chant fan, myself. Not so much a fan of every aspect of medieval and early modern Catholicism, though.

Upvote 0
J

JasonV

Oh, I see what you're getting at. Hailing the 50s as the hey-day of Catholicism is a bit myopic. I'm a gothic architecture and Gregorian chant fan, myself. Not so much a fan of every aspect of medieval and early modern Catholicism, though.

Have you been to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC? Some great medieval art and lots of Church-related items used in the liturgy (even a giant choir screen!).

Go if you get the chance.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.