Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So, I guess I won't post my reply. I had it half-written, but no time to finish. We've had the festival this weekend, and I just spent three glorious days in the Church, receiving visitors, answering questions, and so on, with Byzantine chant in the background and surrounded by all of our icons. It's been a glorious weekend, so blessed by it.

But thank you for understanding. This forum was a long time being put together, and takes a lot of work to monitor at times. And after so many times answering the same kinds of posts, I'm afraid it does get old. But most certainly, we don't mind answering questions. Indeed, it might be important to point out that among our regular membership here are those of us that disagree on many doctrines. But we do respect each other. :)

By all means, send me an email with your reply. And whoever else you want to include. I will respond.

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Know what you believe and why you believe it
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi everyone:wave:, this is a brand new forum with a brand new approach:idea:. Feel free to ask whatever questions you like and we will try and answer them for you.:)

Blessings and peace!:liturgy::crossrc:

Mark
Advisers Assistant.
I think too having a fairly high number of ambassadors here, and we all have essentially the same goal of respectful discussion, it is easier for us to gently remind people when the direction in which they are going might not be suitable for this forum.

And let's face it - quite often you really CAN read the subtext comments are offered in. I feel badly because I don't want to be judging people, and there are some that are really good at hiding it. But most of the time you can tell if folks really just want to bash or pick a fight. And since we have rules in place against that, I am hopeful that we keep a peaceful, respectful, charitable attitude in here.

It has gone surprisingly well so far. :)

I'm sure that sooner or later we will have occasion to test the application of some of the rules. But in the meantime it is very gratifying to see that we can have good dialogue with members from a variety of backgrounds/traditions, even when we disagree on various doctrines.

I strongly agree with my friend Anastasia. I am a convinced Calvinist/Lutheran. I am ashamed of my fellow Calvinists and Lutherans, because we are Christians and discussing the Scripture; God's holy Word. Why we get so nasty and mean to each other is beyond me. I come to this site to seek answers. To get a better understanding of the other person's beliefs. I believe we can do it, without hate, but with love. I am not naïve to think that people will not take offense. Because we are talking about God's Holy word. But I also believe that we can do it with gentleness and kindness, without being prideful & pompous. I have encountered a person promoting living a godly life, and at the same time, ridiculed me, laugh at me, insulted my intelligence, call me a lair, judged me, and told me to stop playing the victim. While preaching to live a godly life? Really??? I am just be side myself, that Christians act this way. Including my own Calvinists and Lutherans, we all are guilty of this. So let's stop and learn from each other, form your decision on the data and evidenced and move on.

All in love, not hate.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, this forum has gone on very well. We try to have that attitude in TAW as well.

While we may not agree on every theological point, I have great respect for my brothers and sisters here on CF.

Even when I meet those Christians who are very adversarial, I think they do so out of zealousness, at least. I try to give the benefit of the doubt.

As far as preaching with a mean spirit - that always makes me cringe. I know too many who had such a small understanding of the Gospel see that as their main source, and turn away due to people's meanness. Lord please preserve me from ever doing any such thing! I worry about even a glance or a word being misinterpreted. I would not want to stand before God someday and have to give account for having turned anyone away from the Gospel of Jesus Christ!

(I just realized, you being a Calvinist, that might not even make sense in your context. Maybe we can talk more about that someday. I confess that I'm sure I don't have a really good grasp of Calvinism, despite having been in denominations that taught it. But I'm sure that I misunderstand certain things.)

Anyway - I'm very thankful for the way Traditional Theology works. Everyone is welcome, as long as they are respectful. No one is required to agree with anything (except the Nicene Creed as far as the site-wide rule for all Christians). We are somewhat topic-restrictive here though. But it's been a place I've been thankful to have here on CF. :)

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, this forum has gone on very well. We try to have that attitude in TAW as well.

While we may not agree on every theological point, I have great respect for my brothers and sisters here on CF.

Even when I meet those Christians who are very adversarial, I think they do so out of zealousness, at least. I try to give the benefit of the doubt.

As far as preaching with a mean spirit - that always makes me cringe. I know too many who had such a small understanding of the Gospel see that as their main source, and turn away due to people's meanness. Lord please preserve me from ever doing any such thing! I worry about even a glance or a word being misinterpreted. I would not want to stand before God someday and have to give account for having turned anyone away from the Gospel of Jesus Christ!

(I just realized, you being a Calvinist, that might not even make sense in your context. Maybe we can talk more about that someday. I confess that I'm sure I don't have a really good grasp of Calvinism, despite having been in denominations that taught it. But I'm sure that I misunderstand certain things.)

Anyway - I'm very thankful for the way Traditional Theology works. Everyone is welcome, as long as they are respectful. No one is required to agree with anything (except the Nicene Creed as far as the site-wide rule for all Christians). We are somewhat topic-restrictive here though. But it's been a place I've been thankful to have here on CF. :)

Thank you for your comments, and as a Calvinist I can relate to the way we can turn people away. I also pray that God will forgive me of partaking of that behavior, and help and guide me in preaching & teaching His word with gentleness, patience, kindness, and love. Over the years I have come to realization that we are discussing God's Word. That got me thinking about my behavior as I present God's word. Its nice to meet people like you in this forum, where we can learn from another. As I recently started digging into "THEOSIS" by another EOC.

I hope we can be friends despite our theological differences. And love one another, as Christ has instructed us too! All in love, not hate.

In Christ our Covenantal King!

Amen!!

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your comments, and as a Calvinist I can relate to the way we can turn people away. I also pray that God will forgive me of partaking of that behavior, and help and guide me in preaching & teaching His word with gentleness, patience, kindness, and love. Over the years I have come to realization that we are discussing God's Word. That got me thinking about my behavior as I present God's word. Its nice to meet people like you in this forum, where we can learn from another. As I recently started digging into "THEOSIS" by another EOC.

I hope we can be friends despite our theological differences. And love one another, as Christ has instructed us too! All in love, not hate.

In Christ our Covenantal King!

Amen!!

I've just read the Statement of purpose for this sub-forum. Very well written. The emphasis on fairness and respect is quite encouraging.

Thanks so much for posting here! It is encouraging to see others who share with us the values and desires that we have worked for in this forum. Please stick around and enjoy our little corner of civility; participation and thoughtful discussion are always welcome!

Mark
CF Admin

• Winner
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I love Luther, He was the one who I first heard the Pure Gospel of Christ that Paul preached. When I learn the distinction between Law and Gospel in relation to Justification by Faith Alone! It was like Heaven door did flung open. His commentary on Galatians is the greatest IMHO.

Be a sinner, and let your sins be strong (sin boldly), but let your trust in Christ be stronger, and rejoice in Christ who is the victor over sin, death, and the world... ” Martin Luther

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I am a member at a Baptist church and I was just wondering why the creeds are so important to other denominations.

Also, can you give me a rundown of your beliefs on infant baptism?

Creeds are an expression not only of the faith we confess, but those things with which we are in union.

Regarding baptism, this is a short read from Luther's small catechism: The Small Catechism - Book of Concord

Upvote 0

Sola1517

Saint-in-Progress (Looking for a Church)
Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Do you think they are meant to be condensed systematic theology?

They were mostly developed to define particular points of the faith in defense against heresies as they arose during the first few centuries of the Church.

If no heresy attacked a particular belief, it might not be codified in the Creeds at all.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Give me a definition of regeneration.
Baptism, like the Eucharist and Confession and Absolution are all means of grace. Through them we receive forgiveness of sins.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

No. The Orthodox Church tends to shy away from systematic theology in favor of an apophatic approach, but the Nicene Creed is rather important to us (we make only minimal use however of Quincunque Vult, and probably little or no use of the Apostles Creed, although the latter is not objectionable from an Orthodox dogmatic perspective).

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Quincunque Vult, in my tradition is only used on Trinity Sunday (Feast of the Holy Trinity).

We don't use it liturgically, but it is in some Orthodox psalters and service books in modified form.

@Commander Xenophon e-mailed me an article, which I think he posted here also a while back, with the text of the Orthodox version. I am going to ask him if I can repost it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Quincunque Vult, in my tradition is only used on Trinity Sunday (Feast of the Holy Trinity).

ELCA and ELCIC have omitted it from their service book; the strong language of the anathemas make some of their membership uncomfortable, it would seem; imagine, the prospect of the consequences of unrepentant sin and unbelief making faithful members "uncomfortable".

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
ELCA and ELCIC have omitted it from their service book; the strong language of the anathemas make some of their membership uncomfortable, it would seem; imagine, the prospect of the consequences of unrepentant sin and unbelief making faithful members "uncomfortable".

From the new 2006 one? I thought it was in the Green Book.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
From the new 2006 one? I thought it was in the Green Book.
It was in the green, but not the cranberry one. The liturgies in there seem rather watered down; particularly the funeral service.

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
It was in the green, but not the cranberry one. The liturgies in there seem rather watered down; particularly the funeral service.

I am not a fan of the liturgies in the 2006 book. I read an article on the theological basis for the changes and was horrified. I don't have a copy of that book, but from what I have heard, it is very modernized.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I am not a fan of the liturgies in the 2006 book. I read an article on the theological basis for the changes and was horrified. I don't have a copy of that book, but from what I have heard, it is very modernized.
I'd use the term politically correct, dilute, universalistic. I looked through it at a Funeral, that hardly resembled a Funeral BTW.

• Informative
Upvote 0