• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Traditional Theology Census

Discussion in 'Traditional Theology' started by Tallguy88, Jan 14, 2015.

1. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Episcopalian Supporter

+1,935
    Anglican
    Married
    The Episcopal Church. Former and long-time United Methodist. Friend and admirer of the Eastern Orthodox.

2. Nanopants

Nanopants Guest

+0
    I'm something of a hybrid between a desert dwelling and tech-savvy monk-like believer who spends most of his free time engaging in theological rants, prayers for victory, reflection, study and occasionally shaking my fist at the hierarchy.

I've been around, and some of you may already know a thing or two about what I believe, but basically in my walk of faith I've come to some conclusions on the topics of Wisdom, the Incarnation, faith itself and, most groundbreaking for me: the faith of Christ. Since I've never heard anyone teach much on these subjects, I've kept to myself mostly so I wasn't very keen on posting here until a couple of days ago when I stumbled on this little gem on a Coptic website:
    "He has not assumed a body as proper to His own nature, far from it, for as the Word He is without body. He has been manifested in a human body for this reason only, out of the love and goodness of His Father, for the salvation of us men. We will begin, then, with the creation of the world and with God its Maker, for the first fact that you must grasp is this: the renewal of creation has been wrought by the Self-same Word Who made it in the beginning. There is thus no inconsistency between creation and salvation for the One Father has employed the same Agent for both works, effecting the salvation of the world through the same Word Who made it in the beginning.

Upon [the race of men], therefore, upon men who, as animals, were essentially impermanent, He bestowed a grace which other creatures lacked—namely the impress of His own Image, a share in the reasonable being of the very Word Himself, so that, reflecting Him and themselves becoming reasonable and expressing the Mind of God even as He does, though in limited degree they might continue for ever in the blessed and only true life of the saints in paradise."

Athanasius: On the Incarnation, chapter 1.
    Unbeknownst to me the rest of those subjects are in there also, including the "faith of Christ" (as a term at least). So whatever my faith tradition is, to me it appears that I'm closely related to whatever tradition Athanasius belonged to, because his beliefs click with mine. Ontop of that, I found some other good stuff on the Coptic website, especially what appears to be an appreciation for simplicity. So all in all, even though I haven't been confirmed by any church as of yet, I think I'm leaning toward the Coptic church, but wherever I may abscond to, I'm commandeering your saints and taking their stuff with me.

3. Open Heart

Open Heart Well-Known Member

+4,320
    United States
    Seeker
    Celibate
    A Jew, raised fundamentalist, converted to Catholicism at age 27 (now in my 50s).

4. Fenwick

Fenwick Non Nisi Te Domine

+6,488
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Republican
    Welcome! :wave:

5. MoreCoffee

MoreCoffee Repentance works.

+2,421
    Catholic
    Private
    Cute kitty avatar :)

Welcome to Traditional Theology. May your posts bring joy to all who read them.

6. Tallguy88

Tallguy88 We shall see the King when he comes! Supporter

+7,646
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    Welcome! I'm a former Protestant who converted to Catholicism in my early 20s.

7. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+15,089
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Welcome to TT! I hope you enjoy this little corner of CF. :)

And I second MC's opinion - very cute kitty avatar! :)

8. MoreCoffee

MoreCoffee Repentance works.

+2,421
    Catholic
    Private
    We need more cute kitties in avatars and in the chat box. I miss the little kitties in the chat box, they were amusing.

[​IMG]

9. Anhelyna

Anhelyna Handmaid of God Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+10,939
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    MC - that's a ver very cute little kitty :)

10. stevenfrancis

stevenfrancis Disciple

+231
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Steven Francis Roehr - Roman Catholic - Latin Rite - Appreciator of the Eastern Catholic rites as well, as the Eastern Orthodox Churches. (and any others with valid priesthood through Apostolic succession.) Respecter of all persons.

11. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+2,732
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    Arcangl86 here. I'm a member of the ELCA and consider myself to be firmly within the Evangelical Catholic wing of Lutheranism, with some strong sympathies to certain aspects of Eastern Christianity. Baptized and raised in the Roman Catholic Church, left as a teen, became Episcopalian (Anglo-Catholic) before ending up ELCA.

12. Fenwick

Fenwick Non Nisi Te Domine

+6,488
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Republican
    Welcome!

13. Kaonashi

Kaonashi If God is thy father, man is thy brother.

+165
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Former Pentecostal/SBC who left Christianity for about 4/5 years before I discovered the Episcopal Church and Traditional liturgy and was confirmed shortly before I graduated

14. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+6,107
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Orthodox Christian here. Feel free to use my name (Laura). :)

Previous background in the Pentecostal Church for the majority of my life...in college decided that I needed to find the apostolic church and did a lot of soul searching, reading and visiting of churches. 5 years later, I stepped into an Orthodox Church and felt like I was finally home. I will always be thankful for my heritage growing up in a Christian family, but I am so thankful that I found my way to where I am today. I have a long way to go though...I'm still learning!

A personal thing that I care about is taking the time to understand where people come from. I believe 100% in my faith...but it is important to take time to understand and hear others, even if you agree to disagree. By no means do I feel like I need to compromise what I believe...but I believe that we would have a much happier world if everyone took the time to do that!

15. kiwimac

kiwimac Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian Supporter

+1,284
    New Zealand
    Utrecht
    Married
    AU-Greens
    Old Catholic priest via any number of others.

16. stevenfrancis

stevenfrancis Disciple

+231
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Catholic Christian. Latin (Roman) Rite. After a 40 year cycle of trying on other shoes, with only truth as a yardstick, spending the most of this time swimming through what is collectively referred to as the "new age", where we essentially invent our own religion or follow some human leader's vision of what religion ought to be, spending the longest single stretch with Jodo Shinshu Western Pure Land Buddhism mixed with the "spiritualism" of Jane Roberts, The spirit "Seth", the spirit "Thavis", T. Lobsang Rhampa, The Urantia Book, Carlos Castaneda, L. Ron Hubbard, and Ayn Rand, (which was at odds with Buddhism and the first thing dropped). During all this time a patient Jesus Christ called to me and drew me into His Christian baptism in my teens, placed me in His Lutheran, then Baptist, then Methodist fold, I had a real life, honest to goodness mystical "come to Jesus" conversion experience beginning on a drive across country in 2004, and culminating with Confirmation and first Eucharist in the Roman Catholic Church on the Easter Vigil of 2006. I am now fully grounded in Christianity, and am a member of the mystical body of Christ. It is who I AM. It forms my world view. My character, personality, music and movie tastes, my actions, priorities, and everything else. I can say the person I was, is no more. I am not the same person who was born to my parents in 1957. I was born a second time of water, and finally a third time (or a delayed continuation of my second birth), of the spirit, when I was sealed with the Holy Spirit at that glorious Easter Vigil mass. I realize now that there is a single moral truth. One way to the Father. And one light which enlightens every man, (who let's it in). The answer to all of these is Christ Jesus. THE way; THE truth; THE light. Praise be to God, from whom all good things flow.

Peace,

Steven (Steve is fine)

---------------------------------
    If you have any questions about Catholic Christianity, or if you have a conversion or reversion story to the Catholic Church that you'd like to share, or if you are a Christian, but there is something holding you back from the fullness of Catholic Christianity. Or if you are an atheist or agnostic, Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, Mormon, Jehovah's Witness, Urantian, Scientologist, "spiritual but not religious", or anything else, and want to know more about the Christian faith in general, or Catholicism in particular, I'd love to hear from you. Please E-mail me at [email protected], and let's dialog. God bless you always, Steve

17. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member Supporter

+7,453
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    Private
    Non-Denomination -- Learning more about Calvinism and identify with the 5 points of TULIP.

Want to study Theology after I finish my current degree.

18. Catherineanne

Catherineanne Well-Known Member

+4,395
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Widowed
    Born, baptised and confirmed Anglican. A shade on the high side of good. Daughter born, baptised and confirmed Anglican.

Confirmed at Jezzy P (Jesmond Parish Church) many years ago, and since then have travelled slowly but surely away from the evangelical pov and towards something more naturally familiar. I like the Anglican church because I have been able to travel across a very broad spectrum, without ever leaving home.

I have attended other churches with friends for extended periods; Evangelical and Baptist mostly. I liked the people very much, but they were never quite home.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  19. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 En cuanto lo hicisteis a uno de estos mis hermanos Supporter

+9,266
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    I'm technically a Methodist but I consider myself currently an Evangelical Catholic with sympathies to Methodism/Pietism.

At one time I was Eastern Orthodox in-the-making.

If I were Japanese and not a Christian, that's probably what I'd want to be. Years ago I met with a bunch of other disaffected white people and tried to get into it, I even read a few devotional books, finding the typical export Buddhism just too austere (despite having done a lot of meditation) and not truly speaking to the human condition (I read of too many gurus that said wise things but ended up sleeping around with students or dying from cyrrhosis). Shin is like the Lutheran form of Buddhism.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  20. stevenfrancis

stevenfrancis Disciple

+231
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Cool. That's the same path as Mother Miriam on EWTN/Immaculate Heart radio. A nun I like to listen to.