• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Traditional Theology Census

Discussion in 'Traditional Theology' started by Tallguy88, Jan 14, 2015.

1. servant of Merciful Love

servant of Merciful Love Goodbye~God bless Supporter

+8,733
    United States
    Catholic
    Private
    Gail ~ Cradle Roman Catholic

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  2. Anhelyna

Anhelyna Handmaid of God Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+10,936
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Anhelyna

Ukrainian Greek Catholic - having got there from Methodism and Anglican [ High Church] . Did spend some time in an RC Parish though ;)

3. Thekla

Thekla Guest

+0
    Thekla

Eastern Orthodox (Greek)

formerly UCC, Evangelical Reformed branch (my dad was a minister), with a period of "huh ?" then Mennonite leanings

4. MKJ

MKJ Contributor

+674
    Anglican
    Married
    CA-Greens
    Meghan

Anglican Church of Canada - fairly traditional sort of Anglican - raised in a Lutheran church with a period of non-practice of any religion in my teen years.

5. Shane R

Shane R Priest

+519
    United States
    Anglican
    Widowed
    Shane - Oriental/Coptic Orthodox

I was raised in the churches descended from the Stone-Campbell Restoration Movement. I was confirmed Lutheran while in the Navy. Began an Orthodox catechumenate with the Antiochians, worshipped with continuing Anglicans, and was chrismated by Copts. I married an Anglican woman and we attend an ACNA parish (there are no OO parishes for at least 3 hours).

History is what led me out of the church of my upbringing and the historical context usually heavily informs and complements my theology.

6. Evangelical Catholic Lutheran with strong affinities toward Eastern Orthodoxy (particularly its ancient history and the expatriot theologians of the twentieth century) and Roman Catholicism (particularly the Le Nouvelle Theology and the resourrcement theologians). Grew up non-denominational evangelical.

7. MarkRohfrietsch

MarkRohfrietsch Unapologetic Apologist Supporter

+3,661
    Lutheran
    Married
    This is a good thread for a sticky; sticking now.

8. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+15,183
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    ViaCrucis/CryptoLutheran or Jon if one prefers.

Lutheran - ELCA.

Raised first non-denominational Evangelical and then Pentecostal (International Church of the Foursquare Gospel).

-CryptoLutheran

9. BornAgainBrian

BornAgainBrian The Honourable Schoolboy

+17
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Brian

Southern Baptist, sometimes attend and fellowship at a Foursquare church. Did just over two years as a Catholic in the early 00's.

10. Yardstick

Yardstick Episcopalian

+54
    Anglican
    Married
    Yardstick - High Church Anglican in The Episcopal Church. Grew up vaguely Baptist and was baptized and confirmed in Roman Catholicism as a teenager before moving over to Anglicanism in college.

11. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+4,242
    Presbyterian
    Single
    I’m an elder in the PCUSA, and teach 7th/8th grade Sunday School. In real life I’m a computer programmer and manager. I’m part of the classic liberal tradition, going back to Schleiermacher and Ritschl, though I’m influenced more by current historical Jesus work, somewhere between N T Wright and Borg. My history is boring. I've been Presbyterian most of my life, with brief periods as Methodist (because of my parents) and Quaker (because of my college).

12. Thekla

Thekla Guest

+0
    if you don't mind, where did you attend school ?

13. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+4,242
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Haverford College. I grew up in a Presbyterian church. But my parents were (and are) Methodist. During high school I went to a Methodist church. It was a sort of weird Methodist church, though, since it used the Shorter Wesminster Catechism for confirmation. In college I attended the Friends Meeting for a year or so, though I never would have made that my permanent church home. I was a bit too orthodox for that. But I respect the Friends, and I'm glad to have had the experience. I returned to the Presbyterian church largely as a result of reading Calvin's Institutes in a Reformation history class. I attended Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church for most of my time in college. (This is one of the few Presbyterian churches that said the Lord's Prayer with "trespasses." The word "debt" didn't compute in that congregation.)

14. Thekla

Thekla Guest

+0
    Ah, an area "thick with friends" :)

My Aunt graduated from Guilford, and our oldest son from Earlham.

That is a bit of travelling, Methodist, Quaker, Presbyterian ...

thank-you !

15. GoingByzantine

GoingByzantine Seeking the Narrow Road Supporter

+943
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Is Earlham affiliated with a Church, I thought it was secular?

16. Thekla

Thekla Guest

+0
    Founded by Quakers, and it seems something of the ethos (per our son's report) still stands.

17. GoingByzantine

GoingByzantine Seeking the Narrow Road Supporter

+943
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    That makes sense, Central Indiana still has no shortage of Quaker churches.

18. MoreCoffee

MoreCoffee Repentance works.

+2,421
    Catholic
    Private
    Interesting.

My parents were non churched most of my life. When I was born they went to a Lutheran church (in Canada) and when we moved to California (I was still a baby) they continued with the Lutherans. I was baptised in "The Good Shepherd" Lutheran church by a pastor of Swedish descent. But before I was four years old my parents stopped attending. There was probably a reason but I am not exactly sure what it was. So I was brought up without any specific religious instruction.

After my family had travelled around for a while we came to Australia where we settled - in Perth. My education was at the University of Western Australia.

19. WisdomTree

WisdomTree Philosopher

+122
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    Catholic with Reformed background.

20. ImaginaryDay

ImaginaryDay We Live Here

+703
    Canada
    Protestant
    Separated
    CA-Conservatives
    Currently attending "Mennonite Brethren", although raised Presbyterian. Spent 10 years in United Pentecostal Church before moving to Canada and cutting ties with anything Pentecostal in nature. As it is, the MB church seems to have a corner on the market in the area where I am, although I have been trying to seek out a more mainstream Protestant denom.