The Wild West
✟474,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I was reading an article on sacristies in the 1911 Catholic Encyclopedia, which of course describes how they were configured before any of the sweeping liturgical changes of the 1950s and 60s, during a period of time when the mild and very well received reforms to the Roman Breviary and liturgical calendar implemented by Pope St. Pius X were still in progress.

It mentions that each sacristry should have “a copy of the Decree of Urban VIII prohibiting certain offices and masses (S. R. C., 460 ad 6; 555 § Et ne)” and “a book containing the obligations of the Church regarding foundations and their fulfillment (Innocent XII, Nuper, § 26, 21 Dec., 1699).”

Would anyone know anything about the contents of the decree and the required book, and where I might find an English translation? Also, are these still commonly found in Roman Catholic sacristies or did they disappear with the liturgical reforms of the 20th century?

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Church probably doesn't as Pope Urban VIII was fairly corrupt himself

He built up military fortifications and lived an expensive lifestyle riddled with nepotism.
He also wanted to extinguish all Protestantism and was a factor in the 30 years war.

Vatican II sought to distance the Church from such dirty laundry of the past.

Perhaps you should too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The Church probably doesn't as Pope Urban III was fairly corrupt himself

He built up military fortifications and lived an expensive lifestyle riddled with nepotism.
He also wanted to extinguish all Protestantism and was a factor in the 30 years war.

Perhaps you should too.
Which pope Urban III are you referring to? The pope Urban III that died in 1187?

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Which pope Urban III are you referring to? The pope Urban III that died in 1187?

Sorry, missed the V when selecting the name. It's Pope Urban VIII

I corrected my original post

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟474,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The Church probably doesn't as Pope Urban VIII was fairly corrupt himself

Perhaps you should too.

To be clear, I am not by any means an enthusiast of Pope Urban VIII. I am merely curious what the decree on prohibited masses was that he issued, which was historically kept in sacristies along with the sacred vestments and other items neccessary for the celebration of the divine liturgy of the Mass and the Liturgy of the Hours.

I am aware of some of the more well known rubrics concerning when masses were allowed or not allowed in the traditional Roman Rite, and also the Ambrosian Rite (which is a bit more restrictive; the Ambrosian Rite, which is used by the Catholic Church in Milan and surrounding regions, precludes the celebration of the mass during weekdays in Lent; like the Byzantine Rite, it also specifies black vestments for weekdays in Lent; the website New Liturgical Movement has done some thrilling articles on the Ambrosian Rite, to the point that when this pandemic is over, I hope to travel to Milan to experience it). In the traditional Roman Rite, the main restrictions I am aware of are a prohibition on nuptial masses in Lent, Advent and fasting days, a prohibition on any mass other than the Mass of the Presanctified on Good Friday, and a requirement that priests obtain a dispensation based on pastoral neccessity in order to say more than one mass per day (with the most being four, and only under extreme circumstances).

Upvote 0