May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
priests may travel over bumpy or non-existent roads

More reason to follow the New GIRM and the RS and require noble unbreakable material in chalices, but I thought that this thread was about the abuse scandal and that we are being challenged to defend the fact that that scandal was not caused by the Tridentine Mass not about the Tridentine Mass itself or the wisdom of the GIRM.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
AMDG

This claim is so old it has whiskers! And it isn't now (nor was it ever) quite true either. The inexpensive missals (inexpensive then, but not now) were used for folks to prayerfully follow the Mass (BTW that was called "participation"). The Missals had the vernacular on one page, and on the other page (right next to it) was the Latin. Oh, forgot to mention that purchasing one missal (which was very inexpensive to begin with) had the Mass and readings for 10 years--not like the newer pew missalettes that must be changed every season--or the newer regular missal that require much page turning.

Yeah, thats what we had before Vatican II and people could follow Latin words they didn't understand and cross referrence over to the English to see what they meant. All resulting in taking the heart away from the Mass while the head tried to deal with the language.

There is a reason why the Holy Spirit inspired the Bishops and the Pope to change over to the NO and the vernacular.

Jim

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
benedictaoo

Okay great but when you use the format of the TLM, it's really hard to be irreverent.

No it isn't hard to be irreverent because people just day dreamed through the Mass, or prayed the Rosary. People felt so disconnected, they sought out the priest who could say the Mass the fastest.

You would have to go way out of your way and be deliberately irreverent

As you do with the NO. Any format where the people attending take Mass in a lackadaisical way will end up being irreverent.

But, I don't see the NO ever being discontinued so I'm not going to worry over it.

Example:

TLM:Communion time, in order for it to end up on the floor, one would have to, on purpose, spit the host out on the floor.

NO: It can easy fall out of a person's hands on to the floor for several reasons.

It just as easily fell out of the hands of the priest as he attempts to place the host on the person's tongue without swiping his fingers across it.

I remember the panic that people felt when it happened. Everything would stop as the priest went through the process of picking up the host and cleaning the spot where it fell.

It was as if the all powerful God needed our protection, rather than we need His.

Jim

Upvote 0

St_Barnabus

Secular Carmelite OCDS
Jun 6, 2008
Midwest USA
✟54,616.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
A year ago for lent, I decided to humble myself and take holy communion on the tongue. The Eucharistic minister apparently is so used to putting the host in a person's hand, that they had a problem getting it on my tongue, and I was almost in a panic that it was slipping from my mouth. The was the end of my trying to receive on the tongue. I never have to worry about it slipping from my hand, especially since we were taught to cup our palms.

Upvote 0

KatherineS

Jan 31, 2010
Washington, DC
✟5,152.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
AMDG

Yeah, thats what we had before Vatican II and people could follow Latin words they didn't understand and cross referrence over to the English to see what they meant. All resulting in taking the heart away from the Mass while the head tried to deal with the language.

There is a reason why the Holy Spirit inspired the Bishops and the Pope to change over to the NO and the vernacular.

Jim

Exactly, Jim. And even the hand Missal a liberal innovation the traditionalists fought tooth and nail.

But people following the Mass like people watch a tennis match is less than ideal.

Upvote 0

St_Barnabus

Secular Carmelite OCDS
Jun 6, 2008
Midwest USA
✟54,616.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
This conversation over missals seems like deja vu. Very few people require the missal or missalette. If anyone does, they are free to buy one and use it. Please, however, don't expect that everyone else should be made to use your preferred style of following the mass. After all, the GIRM has specified that one is to listen.

78. The Eucharistic Prayer demands that all listen to it with reverence and in silence.

Upvote 0

IgnatiusOfAntioch

Contributor
May 3, 2005
Visit site
✟23,767.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
85% of the sex abuse allegations occured prior to VII-

This is grosely incorrect. Virtually all of the cases now in the news occured in the mid 60's, all through the 70's and 80's. Vatican II convened in October 1962.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KatherineS

Jan 31, 2010
Washington, DC
✟5,152.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
This is grosely incorrect. Virtually all of the cases now in the news occured in the mid 60's, all through the 70's and 80's. Vatican II convened in October 1962.

That would mean most of the priest-absuers went to seminary before the Council and were ordained according to the Tridentine ritual.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A year ago for lent, I decided to humble myself and take holy communion on the tongue. The Eucharistic minister apparently is so used to putting the host in a person's hand, that they had a problem getting it on my tongue, and I was almost in a panic that it was slipping from my mouth. The was the end of my trying to receive on the tongue. I never have to worry about it slipping from my hand, especially since we were taught to cup our palms.

I always receive on the tongue in the Novus Ordo (it's the approved Latin Rite "norm" and it's my right to choose it or the indult) plus it has nothing to do with the Novus Ordo. I've never had any problems and never had the priest or extraordinary minister have to "sweep his/her fingers across my tongue or even touch it. Y'all should stop exaggerating.

Honestly, what does how one receives communion have to do with some sinful predatory homosexual abusing children?

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You are really grasping at straws with that one.

Being it took a man about 10 years to become a priest, that would mean a man entering the seminary in 1960, wouldn't be ordained until 1970.

Vatican II didn't open until 1962. The Missal of Paul VI, didn't come out until 1973.

So yeah, it would seem that many of the priest who committed sexual abuse, were the product of pre-Vatican II training.

Jim

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
That would mean most of the priest-absuers went to seminary before the Council and were ordained according to the Tridentine ritual.

Seriously, y'all all need to get a serious grip. Stop the blame game, passing the buck, projection, deflection and everything else.

There is no link, TLM is not what caused the abuse of children. I've heard some absurdities, but this one takes the cake, in fact, it takes the whole bakery and it shows how deep your liberalism runs.

I can't even see the sense in you trying to connect the Mass with the abuse but what ever. Anything to pass an agenda I guess.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Being it took a man about 10 years to become a priest, that would mean a man entering the seminary in 1960, wouldn't be ordained until 1970.

Vatican II didn't open until 1962. The Missal of Paul VI, didn't come out until 1973.

So yeah, it would seem that many of the priest who committed sexual abuse, were the product of pre-Vatican II training.

Jim

wow, i thought it was because they were emotionally stunted homosexuals? Now it's because of the Vll training?

Yeah, they trained gay priest to go and molest young boys.

Believe. What. Ever. Makes. It. Easy. To. Sleep. At. Night.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Seriously, y'all all need to get a serious grip. Stop the blame game, passing the buck, projection, deflection and everything else.

There is no link, TLM is not what caused the abuse of children. I've heard some absurdities, but this one takes the cake, in fact, it takes the whole bakery and it shows how deep your liberalism runs.

I can't even see the sense in you trying to connect the Mass with the abuse but what ever. Anything to pass an agenda I guess.

Actually, we're not playing the blame game, but essentially showing how ridiculous it is for those who blame Vatican II and the Novus Ordo format of the Mass for the sex abuse scandal.

Jim

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
wow, i thought it was because they were emotionally stunted homosexuals? Now it's because of the Vll training?

Yeah, they trained gay priest to go and molest young boys.

Believe. What. Ever. Makes. It. Easy. To. Sleep. At. Night.

How did you come up with this twisted logic based on what I posted? :confused:

Jim

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
How did you come up with this twisted logic based on what I posted? :confused:

Jim

Gee undunno... :scratch:

abuse happened in the 90's to, I'm sure it more then likely happened somehow, in the big huge world wide Church, happened in the 2000's.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Gee undunno... :scratch:

abuse happened in the 90's to, I'm sure it more then likely happened somehow, in the big huge world wide Church, happened in the 2000's.

Abuse cases in the 90's were nil compared to the 60's and 70's, which is what was being addressed in my post.

Jim

Upvote 0