Aug 21, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Visit site
✟9,858.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess this is the place to put this...I don't really know.

You may or may not have seen it, but the Discovery Channel aired this 2-hour special a few years ago where scientists used regional demographics back through the centuries to create a facial model of what Jesus would have looked like.

Obviously, our traditional image of him is a white male with brown hair, very tall and slender.

The Discovery Channel portrayed him as a very big, gruffy-looking man with Jewish facial features (wide eyes, big nose, etc.)

The Discovery Channel made a pretty valid point when saying that if a man looking like a White Anglo-Saxon had just magically appeared in Jersualem in 5 AD, people wouldn't have willingly followed him.

What do you guys think about this? Is the "traditional" image correct or not?

lionroar0

Coffee drinker
Jul 10, 2004
✟20,401.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
As far as I know we don't know what he looks like. I think it would be safe to assume that he had palestinian features. This is what is refered to as the historical Jesus.

I vaguely remember the show. I don;t know if people would not have followed him if he appeared white anglo saxton.

Of course being God he could appear how ever he pleases now.

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I can show you an icon that is at St. Catherine's Monastery on Mt. Sinai that dates from the 6th Century. Here it is:

moz-screenshot.jpg

Upvote 0

MooCow

Aug 21, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Visit site
✟9,858.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
katherine2001 said:
This can be found at www.skete.com/moreinfo.cfm?Category=34&Product_ID=43

or you can go to www.skete.com, click on Icons, and then click on The Lord to see how he has been depicted through the centuries.
Yeah, that picture is what I think of when I think of Jesus, except perhaps a darker skin complexion. I personally think that Jesus was a very simple man and had some characteristics that set him apart from everyone else.

I just don't want to get to Heaven and not recognize JC when I see him :clap:

Upvote 0

Remus

Feb 22, 2004
Austin, TX
✟15,971.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You may or may not have seen it, but the Discovery Channel aired this 2-hour special a few years ago where scientists used regional demographics back through the centuries to create a facial model of what Jesus would have looked like.
I saw that special and I have to agree with them and say they were probably closer to the mark than the traditional images.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Remus said:
I saw that special and I have to agree with them and say they were probably closer to the mark than the traditional images.

By traditional images, I presume you mean the Sunday school books. The Traditional Eastern images have been passed down from the originals made by the hands of those who actually saw Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Remus

Feb 22, 2004
Austin, TX
✟15,971.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oblio said:
By traditional images, I presume you mean the Sunday school books. The Traditional Eastern images have been passed down from the originals made by the hands of those who actually saw Christ.
Probably. I don't know that I've really seen any "Traditional Eastern" images. At the risk of hijacking this thread, would you be willing to post some links to some images? You've got me curious now :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The_White

Jun 5, 2004
Maitland
Visit site
✟8,756.00
Faith
Christian
Actually we do that to a lot more than Jesus (westernifying, is that a word?)

My OT text book had a picture of Moses carrying the 10 commandments. I noticed the following problems with the picture.
1) Moses had distinctly white skn
2) Moses had Roman features
3) Moses was wearing Roman robes
4) the Roman robes were colored in dyes that origionated in the Roman era
5) the tablets had I II III IV V VI VII VIII IX X on them to show that they were the 10 commandments.

Go figure.

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I love the Pantocrator also. In an Eastern Orthodox church (if they've built their own church and didn't buy a church that was originally something else), there will be a dome (often called onion domes) with that icon (Christ the Pantocrator) painted on the ceiling of the dome, to show that Christ is over all.

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
katherine2001 said:
I love the Pantocrator also. In an Eastern Orthodox church (if they've built their own church and didn't buy a church that was originally something else), there will be a dome (often called onion domes) with that icon (Christ the Pantocrator) painted on the ceiling of the dome, to show that Christ is over all.

Awesome. Love it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.