✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
*You are in the Catholic forum*

You'd think the Church would be taking more notice of this.

Continued below.
Traditional Catholic parishes grow even as US Catholicism declines

I guess I'm not to surprised at that. I lived in Silicon Valley for most of the mid 90s to the Spring of 2014. There was a number of years where going to church was very difficult when I worked as a contractor in my last years (working overnight hours, and working on the weekend etc.). I was lucky that my Orthodox church had more things going on besides Sunday morning etc.

Anyway, I learned about this place that was near where I would drive by on my way back home from my job at the time. And it was a place that I occasionally prayed at etc. It's history was pretty impressive a growing parish etc. that people would commute too etc. If it was described in Protestant language the place would have been described as "Leading a Revival" etc.

Our Lady of Peace Shrine - Wikipedia

Our Lady of Peace Church & Shrine to the Immaculate Heart of Mary is a Roman Catholic parish of the Diocese of San Jose located in Santa Clara, California. The most notable features of the parish are the 32-foot statue of Our Lady of the Immaculate Heart, which is visible from U.S. Highway 101, and that the church itself is open 24-hours, 365 days a year for Eucharistic Adoration or Holy Mass.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Not surprising at all. What we're seeing is classical segregation at work. As Catholicism is fading rapidly into liberalism and progressivism those who get tired of this trend turn further right and this seek a more traditional form of catholicism. The SSPX is growing all over the world too.
This ain't new Catholics as much as a tiny per cent of the bigger movement away from regular Novus Ordo church.

It's to be expected with the climate of modernism that has ruled the church since Vatican ii. Political correctness in the church can be a real push and pull towards either total apostasy or traditionalism.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not surprising at all. What we're seeing is classical segregation at work. As Catholicism is fading rapidly into liberalism and progressivism those who get tired of this trend turn further right and this seek a more traditional form of catholicism. The SSPX is growing all over the world too.
This ain't new Catholics as much as a tiny per cent of the bigger movement away from regular Novus Ordo church.

It's to be expected with the climate of modernism that has ruled the church since Vatican ii. Political correctness in the church can be a real push and pull towards either total apostasy or traditionalism.
Or it pushes people out of the Church altogether. That's a big trend as well.

• Winner
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Do traditional (trad, "seeds," etc.) Catholic parishes have valid apostolic succession? (sorry if that is a silly question)

No it's not a silly question at all :)
Sedevacatists typically doesnt, but SSPX does. That being said the SSPX isnt sede. They believe that Francis is pope and they pray for him in the eucharistic prayers in each and every mass the celebrate. They refuse to accept two of the documents from Vatican ii concerning the church's view on interreligiousity (Nostra aetate) and human dignity (DH) and thus they've been subject to much frustrations within the Vatican.

They dont celebrate Novus Ordo or the new mass as people call it. They only celebrate the Traditional Latin Mass. They consider themselves to be a fraternity much like any other, but because of their arguments with the Vatican Pope John Paul ii decided not to grant them disposition to ordain new bishops.
Without bishops the SSPX would in time cease to exist which was the game of the pope, or at least willed by him. As time went by Archbishop Marcel Levfebrve came down with illness and shortly before approaching death he decided to disobey the pope and ordain bishops himself. This action triggered an automatic excommunication and made them schismatic.

This has later been lifted by pope Benedict XVI and now they're in a irregular communion with the church.
SSPX on their site stresses that they never left nor departed from the church in any way other than the the ordination of the bishops against the will of JPii.

Soooo, the SSPX is reverent and pious Catholics whereby Sedevacantist typically aren't.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟782,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
No it's not a silly question at all :)
Sedevacatists typically doesnt, but SSPX does. That being said the SSPX isnt sede. They believe that Francis is pope and they pray for him in the eucharistic prayers in each and every mass the celebrate. They refuse to accept two of the documents from Vatican ii concerning the church's view on interreligiousity (Nostra aetate) and human dignity (DH) and thus they've been subject to much frustrations within the Vatican.

They dont celebrate Novus Ordo or the new mass as people call it. They only celebrate the Traditional Latin Mass. They consider themselves to be a fraternity much like any other, but because of their arguments with the Vatican Pope John Paul ii decided not to grant them disposition to ordain new bishops.
Without bishops the SSPX would in time cease to exist which was the game of the pope, or at least willed by him. As time went by Archbishop Marcel Levfebrve came down with illness and shortly before approaching death he decided to disobey the pope and ordain bishops himself. This action triggered an automatic excommunication and made them schismatic.

This has later been lifted by pope Benedict XVI and now they're in a irregular communion with the church.
SSPX on their site stresses that they never left nor departed from the church in any way other than the the ordination of the bishops against the will of JPii.

Soooo, the SSPX is reverent and pious Catholics whereby Sedevacantist typically aren't.
Thanks, this was way more helpful than I realized lol. I can't write more at the moment but I have a couple of questions about this for later.

Upvote 0