Traditional Adventist view on Gog and Magog?

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello all;
I have been going to a men's bible study where the participants are; Traditional Adventist, Liberal Adventist, Church of God-Seventh Day; and me; from an old school Northern Calvary Baptist background; for the most part. I know; pretty diverse bunch! But we are in agreement that the bible study is not to debate Sabbath's and respect that all are saved under Jesus.

So we have an up-coming study on "Gog and Magog" and the leader of the group (the Traditionalist) gave a synopsis of what he believe's about the two; which is pretty much summed up in this small statement from Wiki:

The first mention of the two names occurs in the Book of Ezekiel, where Gog is an individual and Magog is his land; in Genesis 10 Magog is a person, son of Japheth son of Noah, but no Gog is mentioned. In Revelation, Gog and Magog together are the hostile nations of the world.

The study is about who you think is going to be "Gog and Magog" in the future; and are they specific countries, religious groups; or something else. The Baptist churches I went to years ago thought they were to be Russia and China; fueled; I believe; by Hal Lindsey's books on prophecy.

So I was wondering if this was the traditionalist Adventist view; what the leader said?

Thanks for your thoughts.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hello all;
I have been going to a men's bible study where the participants are; Traditional Adventist, Liberal Adventist, Church of God-Seventh Day; and me; from an old school Northern Calvary Baptist background; for the most part. I know; pretty diverse bunch! But we are in agreement that the bible study is not to debate Sabbath's and respect that all are saved under Jesus.

So we have an up-coming study on "Gog and Magog" and the leader of the group (the Traditionalist) gave a synopsis of what he believe's about the two; which is pretty much summed up in this small statement from Wiki:

The first mention of the two names occurs in the Book of Ezekiel, where Gog is an individual and Magog is his land; in Genesis 10 Magog is a person, son of Japheth son of Noah, but no Gog is mentioned. In Revelation, Gog and Magog together are the hostile nations of the world.

The study is about who you think is going to be "Gog and Magog" in the future; and are they specific countries, religious groups; or something else. The Baptist churches I went to years ago thought they were to be Russia and China; fueled; I believe; by Hal Lindsey's books on prophecy.

So I was wondering if this was the traditionalist Adventist view; what the leader said?

Thanks for your thoughts.

The Bible sometimes uses a Historical land/nation/person to represent something larger in end time events. You see this with Satan/Lucifer in Isaiah 14 and Ezek 28 for example. So while we do claim the historical facts about Gog and Magog - yet in the future they seem to represent the event in Revelation 20 where Satan leads all the wicked of all time to surround the city of the saints in Rev 20:7-10.

So that is after the 1000 years... it is after all the wicked dead of all ages have been raised to life.. Vs 7-10 is a short summary of the event - and vs 11-14 a more detailed focus on that same event.

Bob

• Informative
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0