• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Tradition(al) Pet Peeves (meant to be fun/blow off steam/no flaming, please)

Discussion in 'Traditional Theology' started by dzheremi, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Mary of Bethany

Mary of Bethany Only one thing is needful. Supporter

+868
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    EO also never have a service without incense. Even Readers services (when no priest is present).

2. Mary of Bethany

Mary of Bethany Only one thing is needful. Supporter

+868
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Even in parishes without pews, we all sort of have “our” places to stand. :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  3. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

+6,925
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    It's weird, because when I was a kid I always associated incense with the Catholic Church (I was raised Presbyterian), and furthermore with funerals, since that's the only time I ever got to go to a Catholic Church (my dad's side of the family was all Catholic, so when my grandfather died, or when a Hispanic friend of mine died in about sixth grade, etc.), so I had kind of a bad association with it. Not in the usual 'Protestant objections to Catholicism' way (my mother never said anything about the RCC other than that Catholics were "weird"), but as in 'Oh...incense...someone must have died'. :( Weird, I know, but I didn't really know any better.

Fast forward many years and now that I'm Coptic Orthodox, I look at the more standard Roman Catholic or otherwise non-Eastern services and am like "Where's all the incense? Is this a liturgy or not?" I couldn't imagine having a service without it!

4. archer75

archer75 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,320
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I'm no expert or even strong amateur on liturgical diversity...and frankly, I would be interested to see this. I think we could have used someone like the recently reposed Fr. Robert Taft to help with this.

But seeing how "Byzantinized" we all are, and how most of the EO world is either in or was "colonized" from the Byzantine commonwealth...people's piety is tied up in the way we already do things. Which is why, although I don't personally feel a need for it and have yet to attend a service, I do support our Western Rite practices, and I would like to see an EO-ified Sarum Rite, as well. Or some modern Anglican uses adapted for the use of...well, people to whom that is familiar. That isn't to say diversity for its own sake is great or specifically to be desired...but we have lost something, and a degree of revitalization could do us good.

Which brings us to the official topic: I have a pet peeve within the EOC...when people display a knee-jerk negative reaction to anything unfamiliar, even if it is perfectly E-Orthodox in theology and practice.

• The longer Great Entrance. Not Russian enough!
    • Western Rite. Smacks of Rome!
    • Any practices that were clearly considered Orthodox for centuries but are now unfamiliar. Madness! Only my parish, in the five years since I was received, is Truly Orthodox!
    Because diversity of form can be good, and I think we could use more than we have. I like Byzantine and Russian icons. But we are always going on about how the Church was the Church in 50 AD...and they didn't have a Russian-style Great Entrance or Rublev's Trinity or diamond crosses. Were they just losers, then?

Overall, this is one part of a streak of paranoid pride that infects us...as far as it's pride, yes, a sin, etc. But some of its appearances, nitpicking things that really do not need nitpicking, are a pet peeve of mine.

5. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+6,118
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I’ve always been taught that we don’t read it as well. I don’t remember it being read in our parish - I’ll have to compare our scripture calendar with GOARCH.

6. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+6,118
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    My pet peeve - rose incense. I have a hard time handling my breathing well when we have rose incense - and it seems to be a special occasion scent for most people.

7. christine40

christine40 Well-Known Member

+5,503
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    following

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019