✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1.Where is Moses body?

We do not know, nor can we know because it was not revealed.

2.Where are the bodies of those who died before the cross?

Wherever they were buried or place when they died.

3.Where are the bodies of those who died after the cross?

Same as those that died before the cross.

4. Who will resurrect at the last day?

At what is commonly referred to as Rapture.

The bodies of those who have been/are saved/born again (Rom 10:9) will be raised.

Those who have died will receive their resurrection bodies first.

Those who are alive and remain will then receive theirs.

Those who die without being saved/born again (Rom 10:9) will not have their bodies raised until the great white throne judgment, and then be go to the lake of fire.

5.Who is in heaven?

Those who are saved/born again (Rom 10:9).

They will come back with Jesus at the time of the Rapture as mentioned above and receive their resurrection bodies.

At the time of the event called the Rapture Jesus does not touch foot on the earth but waits for us "in the clouds".

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
1.Where is Moses body?

Excellent question.

Presumably, like those that have died after the cross, in various states of decay, or else entirely turned to ash. The dead won't rise until the Lord returns.

See above.

All the dead, "...some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt." - Daniel 12:2

5.Who is in heaven?

The Apocalypse describes those who have reposed in the Lord as being before God in His presence. That's about as decent a description of "Heaven" as we're probably going to get.

The Scriptures don't exactly go to great length to talk about the intermediate state, because the Scriptures aren't very interested in life after death, but instead are far more interested in life after life after death--the resurrection of the body and the eternal life in the world to come.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Excellent question.

Presumably, like those that have died after the cross, in various states of decay, or else entirely turned to ash. The dead won't rise until the Lord returns.

See above.

All the dead, "...some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt." - Daniel 12:2

The Apocalypse describes those who have reposed in the Lord as being before God in His presence. That's about as decent a description of "Heaven" as we're probably going to get.

The Scriptures don't exactly go to great length to talk about the intermediate state, because the Scriptures aren't very interested in life after death, but instead are far more interested in life after life after death--the resurrection of the body and the eternal life in the world to come.

-CryptoLutheran
The last part of the Athanasian Creed sums up Biblical teaching on this matter:

At whose [Christ's second} coming all men shall rise again with their bodies, and shall give an account of their own works. And they that have done good shall go into life everlasting; and they that have done evil, into everlasting fire.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
1.Where is Moses body?
5.Who is in heaven?
Perhaps Moses is in heaven with Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Jesus and His mother.
Would make for an interesting thread.....

http://www.christianforums.com/t7813925-7/
The body of Moses ...

I know what Jude says, and I know what Deut 34 says ...

What happened to the body of Moses, and where did Jude get his information?

Originally Posted by rockytopva
We will never know what happened to the body of Moses. It apparently has been laid to rest in a location known only to heaven itself. My guess is that they would have worshipped the dead Moses had they known the location. My guess on Jude is that he got the information through divine revelation, there may have also been old Hebrew books available on the subject I don't know.
Thanks, Rocky. Someone must have mentioned to me (unless it's somewhere in Scripture and I'm not remembering it) but I have the thought in mind so that they might have worshipped his body. And I'm sure no one on earth knows exactly where.

I guess what I am looking for is to see if there's something else in tradition, or perhaps if Jude knew writings that I'm not aware of.

Thanks very much. :)

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1.Where is Moses body?

Heaven.

The righteous in heaven; the rest still are not constituted and won't be until the resurrection.

All of them are awaiting their reconstitution at the resurrection.

All those not in heaven.

5.Who is in heaven?

The righteous dead before His resurrection along with the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

just trying to understand
Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
1.Where is Moses body?

no one knows!

in the grave!

the people of Christ, the rest will be resurrected later.

5.Who is in heaven?

the Father, Jeus, and the other heavenly hosts but no man.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1.Where is Moses body?

Somewhere in the land of Moab near Beth Peor. Probably not too far from Mount Nebo and the summit of Pigsah. Opposite Jericho and the Jordan. Wherever exactly all that is, and assuming his body hasn't been disturbed for the last thousand or so years.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Somewhere in the land of Moab near Beth Peor. Probably not too far from Mount Nebo and the summit of Pigsah. Opposite Jericho and the Jordan. Wherever exactly all that is, and assuming his body hasn't been disturbed for the last thousand or so years.

There's also the possibility that, as second temple period tradition/legend indicates and the Epistle of Jude alludes to, that Moses' body was assumed into heaven.

Whether that is true or not is an open question. Which is why I think the best thing we can say is we don't know.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1.Where is Moses body?
5.Who is in heaven?

1 - 3: All have returned to dust.
4: All will be raised at the last day.
5: Jesus' body is in heaven, and the spirits of the redeemed are with Christ.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
1 - 3: All have returned to dust.
4: All will be raised at the last day.
5: Jesus' body is in heaven, and the spirits of the redeemed are with Christ.
Elijah and Moses stood with our Lord at His transfiguration; we know Elijah was carried up to heaven, I don't think it's too much of a stretch in light of this incident and the other evidence that it is likely that Moses' body was indeed assumed to keep it away from the devil.:)

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
A good deal of our confusion over this question is our ignorance of how Eternity works. At the very least, 'time' does not exist in Eternity as we experience and understand it.

As far as I can tell when we die we - Christians and unsaved alike - enter Eternity. So while Moses' body has presumably decayed past recognition (unless local conditions caused the body to either mummify or fossilize - which I doubt), Moses in a very real way is in Eternity with God. That may be in the future for me, but it is 'right now' for Moses.

At the very least, God is waiting for me. God has it all in hand and I do not have to figure it out for anything to work. So even if I'm wrong, God still has it all in hand. God has me in hand as well. Death has no sting or threat for me.

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
1.Where is Moses body?
5.Who is in heaven?

1) buried somewhere in the hills east of the Jordan river.
2) buried, cremated, or whatever
3) same as above
4) the just and the unjust
5) the just

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
1.Where is Moses body?
5.Who is in heaven?

All the bodies of the saints and the wicked are in the dust of the ground - in the grave - except for the special cases of those who were translated before dying or those resurrected and bodily assumed into heaven.

In Moses' case the book "The Assumption of Moses" quoted by the Apostle Jude - indicates that Moses was bodily assumed into heaven.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ariston

Nov 1, 2013
✟8,209.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1.Where is Moses body?
5.Who is in heaven?

As regards questions 1-3: dispersed throughout the earth. 4. Everyone. 5. All the righteous dead are with the Lord in heaven.

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Scripture clearly says that Moses was buried, not "assumed into heaven".

Moses was buried in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Beth-peor

Deut 34:5-6

5 So Moses the servant of the Lord died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the Lord.

6 And he buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Beth-peor: but no man knoweth of his sepulchre unto this day. KJV

Upvote 0

YeShallTread

Nov 11, 2012
✟2,637.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1.Where is Moses body?

I see the body of Moses as the body of work God accomplished through him. The law and the prophets. That, I believe, is the body the devil disputed about...the body the devil wants to destroy.

Jude 1:9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.​

As Moses said, "all the words of this law"..."it is your life." It was his life, his body and the devil hates it.

Deuteronomy 32:45-47 And Moses made an end of speaking all these words to all Israel: And he said unto them, Set your hearts unto all the words which I testify among you this day, which ye shall command your children to observe to do, all the words of this law. For it is not a vain thing for you; because it is your life: and through this thing ye shall prolong your days in the land, whither ye go over Jordan to possess it.​

All flesh returns to dust and remains dust. The souls of those who died before the cross remained in their spiritual graves until Jesus was resurrected. Then:

Matthew 27:51-53 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after His resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.​

The "holy city" wasn't the earthly Jerusalem where Christ had just suffered. Literal flesh bodies didn't walk the city like zombies. It is all spiritual.

All flesh bodies remain dust...forever! There are however.....

1 Corinthians 15:40 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.​

Our terrestrial bodies remain while our celestial bodies return to God...

Ecclesiastes 12:6-7 Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern. Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.​

Our celestial bodies are either spiritually alive or spiritually dead but all are with God.

There are two resurrections. The first is one that is accomplished while we are physically alive...or it would be too late to be of the first resurrection. The other happens at the end of the millennium when God finds those in the book or cast into the fire.

Revelation 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.​

5.Who is in heaven?

In whom does He walk and abide? For there is heaven.

2 Corinthians 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Elijah and Moses stood with our Lord at His transfiguration; we know Elijah was carried up to heaven, I don't think it's too much of a stretch in light of this incident and the other evidence that it is likely that Moses' body was indeed assumed to keep it away from the devil.:)
Interesting. . .I see several similarities.

First, Moses, who mediated the old covenant which promised to the people of God deliverance from eternal death,
and Elijah, who was the appointed restorer of all things (Mal 4:4-6; Mk 9:1-13),
talked with Jesus about his death (Lk 9:31)
in which he would bring to fulfillment the work of Moses and Elijah.

Second, as the work of Moses was finished by Joshua
and Elijah's work had been finished by Elisha (another form of Joshua),
so Jesus (Joshua) was about to fulfill the work of both Moses and Elijah.

And then third, all three are recorded as fasting for 40 days.

And finally, since Scripture states nothing about Moses' being assumed, should we go beyond what is written (1Co 4:6) in positing such?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Scripture clearly says that Moses was buried, not "assumed into heaven".

Moses was buried in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Beth-peor

Deut 34:5-6

5 So Moses the servant of the Lord died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the Lord.

6 And he buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Beth-peor: but no man knoweth of his sepulchre unto this day. KJV

In the letter of Jude we are told about the argument between Michael and the devil "over the body of Moses" -- it is a quote from the book "The Assumption of Moses" that Jude reminds us of -

Moses died, and was buried - then was resurrected and bodily assumed into heaven.

So in answer to the OP - Moses' body would not be on earth not even the "dust to dust" form.

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited:
Upvote 0