✟12,536.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
:mad:

So I'm presenting this paper at the Most Important Conference of My Life in about a month. The paper is due, in its final form, in about a week. I finished it in early December, two months before the deadline. I then sent a note to my dissertation advisor, who wanted to read it over Christmas break before I sent it off, saying that I could mail it to him or bring it to him, whichever. He writes back saying, "I don't really have time to read it over break. Give it to me at the start of the year." So I gave it to him January 4th. Last Monday, I asked him if we could meet to talk about it this past Friday. Turns out he hadn't looked at it. Could he give it to me Monday (today) instead, because that way he would have all weekend to concentrate on it (the stupid thing is 14 pages long--I wrote it in less time than he's taking to read it). Fine. I was to pick it up first thing today.

Well, guess what? No paper. I asked my friend to check my mailbox this morning, so I didn't have to drag an infant downtown in an ice storm only to discover that the paper wasn't there, and Friend ran into Advisor, who was all "I haven't read ufonium2's paper yet--she's probably mad."

He's done this to me once before, and last time he wanted me to make about three days of solid work worth of changes to a paper, but didn't give it back to me until Thursday, when it was due on Monday, and the only way I could even get it in on time was to hand-deliver it to a neighboring state.

This is driving me absolutely crazy, knowing I'm not going to have the time to make the revisions he's going to want, and then he'll get mad at me for not implementing his suggestions. Teaching middle school orchestra is looking more and more appealing. Sorry for the rant.

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Ouch! Sorry to hear that your advisor is an uber-flake!

I suggest finding someone--anyone--who might at least be able to give you a few pointers, explain what Uber-Flake has been (not) doing, and ask that person if they might do a huge favor and look it over for you in case Uber-Flake doesn't get it back to you in time.

It sucks, but it's better than submitting the dissertation without any help at all.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.