Ineffable
Apr 7, 2004
✟24,396.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
To All:

I wanted to know if you would recommend any particular commentaries on the Torah and Tanakh? I saw many this evening at Barnes & Noble. Some were beautifully ornamental, some were plain. But I am more interested in actual authors of said commentaries. As with most christian commentators, there are some who exhibit a very large bent towards there own interests. Without assuming the same for Jewish authors, are there any that are particularly 'neutral' and absolutely wonderful? Is this a situation where cost does show something that is more valuable and thorough, or do I look for the diamond in the rough?

Let me know all your thoughts.

Nathan

WildCelt

Jan 27, 2004
Michigan
✟15,340.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I assume you are interested in Messianic studies? If so, check out First Fruits of Zion (www.ffoz.org). I also really, really like Rabbi Ariel's parasha teachings from www.graftedin.com or www.heartofisrael.org/ (specifically http://www.graftedin.com/WeeklyTorah/Parashot_PDF.html. The topics on the left column, especially the shomer mitzvot section are invaluable and I strongly recommend them).

Rabbi Ariel (and this group, of course) has really helped me sort out a lot of this stuff. It can be confusing and even contradictory, so ask G-d for wisdom and guidance--He will provide!!

Upvote 0

muffler dragon

Ineffable
Apr 7, 2004
✟24,396.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Thank you Zayit and WildCelt for your input. I will definitely check those sites out when given the chance.

Here is a little background to my studying habits.

I first read through the entire Bible when I was in my sophomore year of college. It was the NIV. I have since read the KJV, NKJV, NASB, Living Bible, and the Amplified. I like to read from start to finish so that I can always have a clearer recollection of the progression and work of the L-rd.

These particular books that I was looking at last night were set up in a three-fold manner on each page: Hebrew, English translation, Commentary. The authors broke into key points on the verses they wanted to discuss. This type of format is more pleasing to me, because it gives the entire context. Plus, I simply enjoy cracking a book open sometimes instead of sitting before a bright white monitor.

The one stifling point last night was strictly monetary. The lesser of the ones I was looking at was still $35. That's a chunk of change for my little wallet, and that is why I posted this question. I would like to get the MJ Consumer Reports evaluation on commentaries. I want to feel like I am getting quality for my purchase.

Does all that make sense? I hope so, and thanks for the help.

Nathan

Upvote 0

WildCelt

Jan 27, 2004
Michigan
✟15,340.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
FWIW, FFOZ has numerous printed materials. As far as commentary, of course the JPS commentaries are great, but it will cost you more than $35 for one volume (and they come in five volumes).

I have not read it personally, but know others that have and can recommend Commentary on the Torah by Richard Friedman, and although not a commentary per se, I also recommend The Bible As It Was by James Kugel. Both are $20 or less at Amazon.

Upvote 0

sojeru

just a Jew
Mar 22, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟1,145.00
Faith
Judaism
One of the best Commentaries on Torah ever made
and the MOST NEEDED to understand the Simple and literal reading of the Torah is the
RASHI
you can find some of RASHI's commentaries in what is called the CHUMASH
the Chumash is the Torah (the 5 books) and it has some of Rashi's comments but you can buy his extensive volumes at not ANY Judaica- really, only at those owned by Orthodox Jews...
Just ask them where you can find Rashi on Torah and they'll direct you.

Upvote 0

muffler dragon

Ineffable
Apr 7, 2004
✟24,396.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
sojeru said:
One of the best Commentaries on Torah ever made
and the MOST NEEDED to understand the Simple and literal reading of the Torah is the
RASHI
you can find some of RASHI's commentaries in what is called the CHUMASH
the Chumash is the Torah (the 5 books) and it has some of Rashi's comments but you can buy his extensive volumes at not ANY Judaica- really, only at those owned by Orthodox Jews...
Just ask them where you can find Rashi on Torah and they'll direct you.
Most Excellent Sojeru:

So good to hear from you. The words sometimes are few and far between for us, but you are always a breath of fresh air. By the way, I sent you an email recently, it would be great if you could define those terms for me. I've been waiting very expectantly to receive word from you.

You bring up a word I saw last night at B&N: Chumash. What is that? I believe the book I saw with it written was very ornamental and even had ecclesiastes in it. I could be mistaken, but that doesn't take away from the fact that I have no idea what the word even means.

Thank you,

Nathan

Upvote 0

Talmidah

היום כולם יודעים - הרב כהנא צדק
Dec 15, 2003
Visit site
✟32,660.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Chumash means 5 and contains the 5 books of Torah. It would contain commentary as well as the megillot (Esther(read at Purim), Song of Songs (read at Passover), Ruth (which is read for Shavuot), Ecclesiastes (read at Sukkot), and Lamentations (read on Tisha b'Av)).

The one you saw last night was probably the Artscroll Stone Edition Chumash. I really like this one. When I study the Torah portions each week, I usually use this chumash, the Hertz Chumash, and the Etz Chayim Chumash.

Upvote 0

muffler dragon

Ineffable
Apr 7, 2004
✟24,396.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Talmidah said:
Chumash means 5 and contains the 5 books of Torah. It would contain commentary as well as the megillot (Esther(read at Purim), Song of Songs (read at Passover), Ruth (which is read for Shavuot), Ecclesiastes (read at Sukkot), and Lamentations (read on Tisha b'Av)).

The one you saw last night was probably the Artscroll Stone Edition Chumash. I really like this one. When I study the Torah portions each week, I usually use this chumash, the Hertz Chumash, and the Etz Chayim Chumash.

Thank you, Dearest Talmidah.

You hit the nail right on the head as far as what all was in there. Just because you brought them up, I will ask for a definition of the following as well if you don't mind:
Purim, Shavuot, Sukkot and Tisha b'Av.

I realize this all shows my high degree of ignorance, but if you don't ask - you can't learn, right?

By the way, what is the difference between the two chumash you stated?

Thank you very much,

Nathan

btw, when do you turn the big three-o, I am due in November.

Upvote 0

Talmidah

Dec 15, 2003
Visit site
✟32,660.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
muffler dragon said:
Thank you, Dearest Talmidah.

You hit the nail right on the head as far as what all was in there. Just because you brought them up, I will ask for a definition of the following as well if you don't mind:
Purim, Shavuot, Sukkot and Tisha b'Av.
Purim celebrates when Mordechai and Esther defeat Haman's plans to have all of the Jews killed. You can read about it in the book of Esther. This is usually celebrated with costumes and alcohol and the reading of the scroll of Esther.

Shavuot is what we are in now. It is 50 days after the 1st day of Passover. In the Torah it is commanded as one of the agricultural festivals (for barley), but we also celebrated the giving of Torah at Sinai on this day. The story of Ruth takes place during the barley harvest and it is read on Shavuot.

Sukkot is the Feast of Tabernacles, another of the agricultural festivals and also celebrates the presence of G-d with the people as they wandered in the wilderness.

Tisha b'Av is a fast day, a day of mourning. It recognizes the destruction of the Temple as well the expulsion of Jews from Spain in 1492.

I realize this all shows my high degree of ignorance, but if you don't ask - you can't learn, right?
You should never stop asking questions. There is so much that I still have to learn. Judaism encourages study, questions, and challenges. ;)

muffler dragon said:
By the way, what is the difference between the two chumash you stated?
The Artscroll Chumash (which is quite ornate) is Orthodox. Here is a link to it on amazon.com You can also read about it at artscroll.com after the holiday is over. Artscroll Chumash

I believe the Hertz Chumash is considered Conservative. My copy is very old and worn out, but it does give some different insights into what the Torah says. Here is a link to it Hertz Pentateuch and Haftarahs

The Etz Chayim Chumash is what we use at shul. It is conservative. I can't find a link to buy it (I bought it at shul), but I found this description for you:
Your lay leadership and I are even more enthusiastic about the new Chumash, known as Etz Hayim, which means “tree of life.” The differences between it and the Hertz Chumash, which has become a ubiquitous presence in Conservative congregations since its original publication in the 1930s, are like night and day. The significance of the difference goes far beyond the new translation--a clear, easily understandable translation that is worlds away from Hertz’s anti­quated “thee and thou” translation (which actually is the 1917 translation by the Jewish Publica­tion Society). If this new, state-of-the-art Bible translation--which makes the biblical text infinitely more understandable and accessible--were the only innovation, that alone might make Etz Hayim a valuable investment. But there’s so much more than that.

By the way, I don’t want to appear to denigrate the Hertz Chumash too much. The Hertz Chumash served the Conservative movement well for many decades, and of course many of us have a sentimental attachment to it, because so many generations of Conservative Jews grew up with it. But Rabbi Hertz--the Lithuania-born, American-educated, Chief Rabbi of the British Empire--was fighting his own polemical battles from the pages of his Chumash, and so much of his commentary seems so dated--not only because of all that has happened in biblical scholar­ship in the past seventy years, but especially because of all that has happened in the world since Hertz first published his Chumash.

Etz Hayim boasts the editorial contributions of some of the most respected and creative fig­ures in the world of biblical scholarship and in the Conservative Movement--including the late Rabbi Chaim Potok and, yibbad’lu l’chayim, Rabbis Harold Kushner, Jules Harlow, and Elliot Dorff.

Etz Hayim contains two commentaries--p’[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], explicating the literal meaning of the biblical text, and d’rash, explicating its homiletical meanings--revealing in tandem the multi-leveled meaning of the biblical text. There also is a commentary that explains halakhah l’ma‘asei--matters of practical halakhah, Jewish law, which emanate from the Torah, and which are presented to us from the perspective of Conservative Judaism.

The beautifully laid-out volume includes colorful maps of the land of the Bible and the Ancient Near East, glossaries, illustrations, and over three dozen stimulating and challenging essays from the pens of some of the most creative scholars and rabbis today.

Etz Hayim is described by Rabbi Harold Kushner, in his introductory essay, as “a quite self-consciously post-Holocaust commentary,” and it draws both from classical and contemporary sources to confront the significant theological challenges presented by the Sho’ah and dealt with--millennia before this past century--by the biblical narrative itself.

muffler dragon said:
Thank you very much,

Nathan

btw, when do you turn the big three-o, I am due in November.
You are very welcome. I just hope I could be somewhat helpful. I will turn "the big three-o" in January...so I'm a little bit younger than you ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

D.W.

Contributor
May 24, 2004
Wisconsin
✟18,422.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Shalom muffler dragon

My favorites is the JPS but as WildCelt says it is expensive. Three years ago I paid $65 per volume, and at the bookstore it is still that price, however I saw the volume on Genesis on Amazon.com today for $44.

I have many commentaries by different sources but the JPS is still my favorite because it contains a giant storehouse of information. History as well as commentary.

The Chumash that the other members have mentioned are well rounded commentaries that give you a brief view of differing opinions.

All in all I believe that whatever you chose G-d will give you joyful look at the knowledge of the sages.

G-d Bless,

Dan

Upvote 0

WildCelt

Jan 27, 2004
Michigan
✟15,340.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Talmidah

Dec 15, 2003
Visit site
✟32,660.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
WildCelt said:
Is this it?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0827607121/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/102-0616718-5230516?v=glance&s=books&st=*
Yes, that's it. I don't know why I didn't see it yesterday. That is the one that we use at shul. Thank you for providing the link, Wild Celt :)

Upvote 0

moshecohen

Dec 21, 2016
jerusalem
✟15,302.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Hey

You can try out this Bible app:
Bible Commentary - Free Download | Bible Commentary

The app is suitable for studying and exploring the Bible, it includes commentaries and translations for every verse, from Rashi, Rashbam, Onkelos and others.
The app is available for free in both Hebrew and English.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

moshecohen

Dec 21, 2016
jerusalem
✟15,302.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
The Chabad website has lots of free material including Rashi's commentary on the Tanakh.

But with this bible study app you get commentaries, translations and more biblical sources like Midrash, Talmud, Halakhah, Kabbalah, Chasidut, Philosophy, Parshanut, Liturgy, Musar, Quotation, Quoting commentary.

Please check out the above links (suitable for mobile):
Genesis.1.1: Welcome to Bible Commentary | Bible Commentary
Exodus.1.1: Welcome to Bible Commentary | Bible Commentary

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
To All:

I wanted to know if you would recommend any particular commentaries on the Torah and Tanakh? I saw many this evening at Barnes & Noble. Some were beautifully ornamental, some were plain. But I am more interested in actual authors of said commentaries. As with most christian commentators, there are some who exhibit a very large bent towards there own interests. Without assuming the same for Jewish authors, are there any that are particularly 'neutral' and absolutely wonderful? Is this a situation where cost does show something that is more valuable and thorough, or do I look for the diamond in the rough?

Nathan

Hello,

I can recommend this excellent study on Finding Messiah in the Torah from the perspective of Messianic Judaism:

Genesis- Messianic audio Torah teaching by Rabbi Stan Farr

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Rainrider

Jun 6, 2017
Lovington
✟16,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
To All:

Nathan

As always I would say the Stones.

Upvote 0