Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You will find the Scriptures you have just quoted have all been raised on this thread before and responded to. There is no point in rehashing them again. You can address and reply already made if there is something about it you don't agree with.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

jminnesota

Sep 4, 2012
US
✟16,633.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
never have but when i go to the beach lot of bikinis that women wear dont cover much anymore. my wife and i are comfy if we are around women wearing next to nothing or guys with speedos on it dont bother us at all we go to swim and be with eachother. we might look around and enjoy the views but that is all

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you travel your are bound to see nudity, especially at beaches. So in that case its really a option that you and your spouse have to determine if you want to do or not, er going I mean. I personally would not go just because as men we struggle with sometimes NOT noticing nudity. Temptation is dangerous, more so when your married.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
"Temptation is dangerous, more so when your married."

But perhaps we need to reflect on why that is so. Maybe the eroticism of the female body we see all around us today is activated by our 'never be seen naked' culture. Go to a free beach, a nudist venue or live amongst some naked tribes people and you will soon observe the guys aren't in a state of constant arousal.

Surely our married Christian life should not be lived out in fear of being seduced by another woman? Something is missing if that's where we are at. I have no hesitation is admiring an attractive woman. But that leading to a desire to have sex with her? That's never been an issue for me, and I am sure I am not alone in this.

John
NZ

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jminnesota

Sep 4, 2012
US
✟16,633.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
yea temptation is hard for some i guess. for me i could go to a beach and see a woman in a bikini or fully nude and i would admire and think she is beautiful but i would not wish to have sex or think sexual things i can control my urge for sure. only woman that i want to make love to is my wife.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I see a car upside down on the road I look because to me it is not normal...it is unique. Just like a two headed turtle or something.

Soooo

If I were to go to a nude beach I would look at the naked bodies for a few minutes and then return to my normal beach stuff like building sand castles and searching for the ever elusive sand dollars.

The difference with me vx some of the other guys is that somewhere along the line of my lifetime I quit objectifying people. Who a person is means so much more and is always a burning question in my head more so than what their appearance is.

Sure, often times a person's personality and/or identity is reflected minimally in their appearance but not always so...

And as far as the vast number of references in the Old Testament about public nudity it is because of the warm climate and slavery. Slaves didn't wear clothes due to their work and social status. Slave owners did not provide slaves with clothes. Even in Egypt the men only wore a penis sheath and the women only a small apron that started at the waist and finished way before the knees...everyone's backside and tops showed. The women made beer and the men made mud bricks. Both tasks would destroy any clothing that the Hebrews wore/owned.
Only the "citizenry" of Egypt wore clothing and it was mostly for showing social status. Even then the women, following fashion trends, would either show their breasts or not.

In Israel slaves still didn't wear clothing. Clothing was expensive. Slaves were owned usually because of debt or war. Again only breach clothes were provided if necessary. To be running around naked was to claim slave status...(low class...even below a shepherd) and to invite abuse and ignoring.

The Early Church in various cities would meet at the gymnasium. (where the local Jews would meet also) And as you would guess it...there were often wrestling matches and other athletics going on within eyesight of their meetings. (The Romans provided these buildings as multi-use and invited all to use them) All athletics were performed in the nude. Even the running that Paul spoke of when racing. Bathing was always done in the nude and bathrooms everywhere were not gender distinguished. IOW everyone used the same latrine regardless of sex. (some were known to hang out in the latrines to catch all the latest gossip)

The taboo of nudity was introduced with one of the queens of England. (trying to remember which is tough at the moment) and if I remember right it was also during the time shortly after the reformation when Europe was involved in a "holier than thou" contest and showing which church could be tougher on sin than their neighboring country and church. Up to that time nudity was not as much a taboo as it became. Other countries and churches laughed at England's new taboo. America was formed during the "cover all skin" era of England...and looking at the half naked bodies of the "heathen savage indians" and that only strengthened the position of wearing clothing at all times. .

Sooo...in the meantime. I ain't gonna go to a naked beach...and trust me when I have been invited by nudists to go. (he is a whacko and I still wouldn't go anywhere with him and his family clothed either)

But if in particular situations and the need arose...I guess I could be naked so I wouldn't stand out and become the car upside down.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
John, good points ...

I once thought I should write a book about two public buildings. The gymnasium and the idol temple. As you pointed out the Bible never speaks against the gymnasium but often speaks against the idol temple. But the church came to get these two buildings mixed up and so to speak against both. It causes us confusion to this day.

Upvote 0

jminnesota

Sep 4, 2012
US
✟16,633.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
well in some places in US its to cold for nude beaches lol. in my area if a woman had a g string bikini on she would be told to cover up but i been down south where g string bikinis are normal and no one says anything. i often wonder why they wear g strings its like you can still see there butt cheeks. its like just take it off and go nude lol.

Upvote 0

jminnesota

Sep 4, 2012
US
✟16,633.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
yea there are some that say you should only be nude in front of your wife/husband and anything else is dirty and wrong. i dont go around naked infront of just anyone. my wife is only one i make love to and see naked close up but my parents seen me as a baby and kid and growing up so if they see its not a big deal or close friends not a big deal either. depends on the person

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums