a sinner
Dec 25, 2009
Texas
✟25,560.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The first parish I attended, the priest and I made eye contact during the Liturgy...and when I approached him in the line for Antidoron afterward, he embraced my hand and said, "We've met before, yes?" In fact we had not, but I could immediately feel the love he had been feeling as he waited for me to come home and be there for the first time. Later, before I officially became a catechumen, I went to him troubled by some past sins and he explained that while he could not offer me absolution as I was not ready for formal confession, he wanted me to go home and write out a list of those things and then burn it in my backyard grill. He said, "because you have asked humbly for forgiveness, God has already forgiven you, but when you come into the Church, you will have that forgiveness formally recognized by the rest of us!" This type of "big tent" atmosphere has been at every Orthodox church I have ever been to.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The first parish I attended, the priest and I made eye contact during the Liturgy...and when I approached him in the line for Antidoron afterward, he embraced my hand and said, "We've met before, yes?" In fact we had not, but I could immediately feel the love he had been feeling as he waited for me to come home and be there for the first time. Later, before I officially became a catechumen, I went to him troubled by some past sins and he explained that while he could not offer me absolution as I was not ready for formal confession, he wanted me to go home and write out a list of those things and then burn it in my backyard grill. He said, "because you have asked humbly for forgiveness, God has already forgiven you, but when you come into the Church, you will have that forgiveness formally recognized by the rest of us!" This type of "big tent" atmosphere has been at every Orthodox church I have ever been to.
This makes me smile too. I am even more encouraged that the heart of Orthodoxy I have seen so far really IS the heart of Orthodoxy, and not that I've just gotten "lucky" in the parish I attend. :)

Upvote 0

Jesus4Madrid

Orthodox Christian
Jul 21, 2011
✟90,072.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This makes me smile too. I am even more encouraged that the heart of Orthodoxy I have seen so far really IS the heart of Orthodoxy, and not that I've just gotten "lucky" in the parish I attend. :)

This is my experience as well, both in Europe and in the US. I have never been part of a church before that so loves the sinners so much but still hates the sin. Every interaction I have with my Orthodox priests reminds me that they want me to be healed, not just comply with some rule or go through the motions asking for forgiveness.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is my experience as well, both in Europe and in the US. I have never been part of a church before that so loves the sinners so much but still hates the sin. Every interaction I have with my Orthodox priests reminds me that they want me to be healed, not just comply with some rule or go through the motions asking for forgiveness.

I have had the opportunity to think about that very thing this week.

On Sunday, I stayed to help at Church to make food for the upcoming Greek Festival. Only a couple of ladies from the Church stayed, but two men I didn't know were there all afternoon, and helped out a LOT, with food preparation plus all the heavy lifting. After they left, it was mentioned to me that they were a couple, which I had been totally oblivious to. I was a little surprised. I know the Church accepts people with SSA, but as far as practicing, they would surely be at some disadvantage. But they were treated with complete love, appreciation, and respect.

In class yesterday, someone mentioned that the Orthodox Church would never perform same-sex marriage. Fr. M explained with much compassion and wisdom the pastoral aspects of that, and his commitment to the Church's authority. It has given me a lot to think about.

Personally, I think such a controversial issue could tear the Church apart, but at the same time, whatever the topic, I have an ever-deepening respect for the pastoral wisdom I encounter.

I know sin is a huge concern in the Church, taken very seriously and the desire us to heal the individual. But I get a more well-rounded view of that the more I see.

Upvote 0

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,397,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
indeed you should, my friend. you have posted some good stuffs I must say.

pretty gutsy also going into General Heresy (*ahem*), I mean General Theology....

Haha yeah, looks like it got GT riled up a bit. :D

Yeah, that one felt like a bomb dropped! I have to say though, they really have been a lot more polite than is usual. But I'm also not seeing a few posters I had grown used to seeing, so that may be part of the reason for the relative calmness.

You should come in more often though. :) For that matter, just stay around. ;)

I was expecting some resistance and whatnot in regards to the topic, but the discussion is/was going well. :)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know the Church accepts people with SSA, but as far as practicing, they would surely be at some disadvantage. But they were treated with complete love, appreciation, and respect.

reminds me of Fr Hopko who once said that Lady Gaga may have been born that way, but by God's grace she doesn't need to stay that way.

he also told the story of once at a talk a man came up to him and asked him how one becomes Orthodox. Fr Tom told him to find a Church, talk to the priest and attend the services, after a while of inquiry he would become a catechumen, and then would be recieved into the Church.

the man told Fr Tom that he was gay.

Fr Tom said that in that case he should find a Church, talk to the priest and attend the services......the man was moved to tears because this was the first time he was not turned away because of his SSA, and at the same time Fr Tom did not condone the action.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
reminds me of Fr Hopko who once said that Lady Gaga may have been born that way, but by God's grace she doesn't need to stay that way.

he also told the story of once at a talk a man came up to him and asked him how one becomes Orthodox. Fr Tom told him to find a Church, talk to the priest and attend the services, after a while of inquiry he would become a catechumen, and then would be recieved into the Church.

the man told Fr Tom that he was gay.

Fr Tom said that in that case he should find a Church, talk to the priest and attend the services......the man was moved to tears because this was the first time he was not turned away because of his SSA, and at the same time Fr Tom did not condone the action.

All I can say is that it must take a great deal of pastoral wisdom for priests to handle this situation well, as it must take a great deal of pastoral wisdom to handle all kinds of situations well.

But I can say the men who came to help at church, no one said anything amiss to them. They come back year after year to help, from what I was told. I for one was glad to meet them and very appreciative of the help. :)

Upvote 0