Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would be careful about posting stuff in General Theology, George. it's awesome that you are reaching out, but we call that spot General Heresies for a reason.

still, good on you for posting it. maybe it will get someone interested.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,429.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Without the long history of Panagia's intercession within the Orthodox Church, the many times she has come to our aid and saved us in person, there is no way that those outside of the experience of the Orthodox Church will be able to understand our hymns to the Theotokos

Reactions: buzuxi02
Upvote 0

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,396,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tzaousios

Αυγουστινιανικός Χριστιανός
Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The topic has gotten somewhat hot, including some responses saying that it is unbiblical.

This is the type of response that you will receive in GT. Usually anything that someone posts that is positive towards Catholicism or Orthodoxy will receive a chorus of denunciation by the resident lonewolf and Zwinglian Protestants. It is unfortunate but true.

There needs to be more participation by Catholic and Orthodox members in GT. However, if that is not your thing, or you tend to become enraged at the mudslinging, as certain Catholics and Orthodox do, then it is best to stay out.

Upvote 0

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,396,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Not on your life :D

Who started the thread ? :D :D :D

George. ^_^

This is the type of response that you will receive in GT. Usually anything that someone posts that is positive towards Catholicism or Orthodoxy will receive a chorus of denunciation by the resident lonewolf and Zwinglian Protestants. It is unfortunate but true.

There needs to be more participation by Catholic and Orthodox members in GT. However, if that is not your thing, or you tend to become enraged at the mudslinging, as certain Catholics and Orthodox do, then it is best to stay out.

To be honest, what's being said in there isn't really any bother to me. In fact, it's rather interesting and also a bit entertaining. So that's what GT is like. :D

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hey TAW people! :D

I started a topic in GT regarding the stance of Hymn to the Theotokos such as the Small Paraklesis.

Check it out, and give your thoughts. :)

http://www.christianforums.com/t7837557/
Beautiful thread and saddened by others who may not get where you're coming from - but I'm still thankful for those who do understand.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
To be honest, what's being said in there isn't really any bother to me. In fact, it's rather interesting and also a bit entertaining. So that's what GT is like. :D

Uhhhhh, no, not really.

It's usually MUCH worse. They are being VERY nice. I'm surprised it's going as well as it is.

But I agree with Seashale - you're not going to change anyone's mind.

As a Protestant, that's probably the biggest idea, or one of them - that is most ingrained to resist about "Catholics" - and the most misunderstood.

I've heard a number of Orthodox priests say that devotion to the Theotokos is the last hurdle almost any convert faces. I will say it is true for me.

I very cautiously prayed ONE prayer - and I have to say, the results did surprise me, and I'm no stranger to having prayers answered.

Still, to be honest, where I am now is better described as "mental assent" that I understand what the Orthodox teach (in general) about the Theotokos, and I no longer see asking for her intercessions as a possible affront to God.

I do ask for intercession, but ... how can I explain this? I see her as more like someone who stands beside me, encourages me, points to Christ. You know, now that I put that into words, I'm not so sure that there's anything wrong with it.

I appreciate her. I appreciate VERY MUCH what she did in being willing to be the one through whom Christ entered the world and gave pretty much her entire life into God's service. I admire her greatly for that.

The more I learn of this saint, or that one, and it gets reinforced, the more I appreciate them, and come to love them. Mary above the others in that case, since she is the one that comes up most often. I've always loved John and Peter, for example, and I do even more so now. I've come to appreciate Paul much more than before, and Andrew and James.

Anyway. Long way to say, I've heard Orthodox priests say that if a person is going to appreciate the Thetokos, they need to have time to get to know her, and I think that is true. Coming from Sola Scriptura, there isn't much background to go on.

And yet ... there I am, fairly vigorously defending the ideas. It's been a good exercise for me.

I really NEVER got the impression that the Orthodox believe that Mary saves us. But I did raise my eyebrow the first time I heard "Theotokos save us". And I still wonder how I'm going to make my husband understand it.

Upvote 0

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,396,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Uhhhhh, no, not really.

It's usually MUCH worse. They are being VERY nice. I'm surprised it's going as well as it is.

But I agree with Seashale - you're not going to change anyone's mind.

As a Protestant, that's probably the biggest idea, or one of them - that is most ingrained to resist about "Catholics" - and the most misunderstood.

I've heard a number of Orthodox priests say that devotion to the Theotokos is the last hurdle almost any convert faces. I will say it is true for me.

I very cautiously prayed ONE prayer - and I have to say, the results did surprise me, and I'm no stranger to having prayers answered.

Still, to be honest, where I am now is better described as "mental assent" that I understand what the Orthodox teach (in general) about the Theotokos, and I no longer see asking for her intercessions as a possible affront to God.

I do ask for intercession, but ... how can I explain this? I see her as more like someone who stands beside me, encourages me, points to Christ. You know, now that I put that into words, I'm not so sure that there's anything wrong with it.

I appreciate her. I appreciate VERY MUCH what she did in being willing to be the one through whom Christ entered the world and gave pretty much her entire life into God's service. I admire her greatly for that.

The more I learn of this saint, or that one, and it gets reinforced, the more I appreciate them, and come to love them. Mary above the others in that case, since she is the one that comes up most often. I've always loved John and Peter, for example, and I do even more so now. I've come to appreciate Paul much more than before, and Andrew and James.

Anyway. Long way to say, I've heard Orthodox priests say that if a person is going to appreciate the Thetokos, they need to have time to get to know her, and I think that is true. Coming from Sola Scriptura, there isn't much background to go on.

And yet ... there I am, fairly vigorously defending the ideas. It's been a good exercise for me.

I really NEVER got the impression that the Orthodox believe that Mary saves us. But I did raise my eyebrow the first time I heard "Theotokos save us". And I still wonder how I'm going to make my husband understand it.

I love your posts....I'm sure I already said that. :D

and I have to say, the results did surprise me

Oh how so?

Upvote 0
N

Nik0s

This is no accident! The saints are all alive in Christ and part of his Church. When you enter into the Church you are united with them and all other believers!

Upvote 0