TOP TEN MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT ISLAM (pt1)

mo.mentum

[One God]
Aug 9, 2003
Montreal
✟16,445.00
Faith
Muslim
[size=+1]TOP TEN MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT ISLAM[/size]
[size=-1]By Huma Ahmad[/size]
[size=-1]MISCONCEPTION #1: Muslims are violent, terrorists and/or extremists.[/size]

[size=-1]This is the biggest misconception in Islam, no doubt resulting from the constant stereotyping and bashing the media gives Islam. When a gunman attacks a mosque in the name of Judaism, a Catholic IRguerrilla sets off a bomb in an urban area, or Serbian Orthodox militiamen rape and kill innocent Muslim civilians, these acts are not used to stereotype an entire faith. Never are these acts attributed to the religion of the perpetrators. Yet how many times have we heard the words 'Islamic, Muslim fundamentalist. etc.' linked with violence.[/size]

[size=-1]Politics in so called "Muslim countries" may or may not have any Islamic basis. Often dictators and politicians will use the name of Islam for their own purposes. One should remember to go to the source of Islam and separate what the true religion of Islam says from what is portrayed in the media. Islam literally means 'submission to God' and is derived from a root word meaning 'peace'.[/size]

[size=-1]Islam may seem exotic or even extreme in the modern world. Perhaps this is because religion doesn't dominate everyday life in the West, whereas Islam is considered a 'way of life' for Muslims and they make no division between secular and sacred in their lives. Like Christianity, Islam permits fighting in self-defense, in defense of religion, or on the part of those who have been expelled forcibly from their homes. It lays down strict rules of combat which include prohibitions against harming civilians and against destroying crops, trees and livestock.[/size]

[size=-1]NOWHERE DOES ISLAM ENJOIN THE KILLING OF INNOCENTS..[/size]

[size=-1]The Quran says: "Fight in the cause of God against those who fight you, but do not transgress limits. God does not love transgressors." (Quran 2:190) "If they seek peace, then seek you peace. And trust in God for He is the One that heareth and knoweth all things." (Quran 8:61) War, therefore, is the last resort, and is subject to the rigorous conditions laid down by the sacred law. The term 'jihad' literally means 'struggle'. Muslims believe that there are two kinds of jihad. The other 'jihad' is the inner struggle of the soul which everyone wages against egotistic desires for the sake of attaining inner peace.[/size]

[size=-1]MISCONCEPTION #2: Islam oppresses women.[/size]

[size=-1]The image of the typical Muslim woman wearing the veil and forced to stay home and forbidden to drive is all too common in most peoples thoughts. Although some Muslim countries may have laws that oppress women, this should not be seen as coming from Islam. Many of these countries do not rule by any kind of Shari'ah (Islamic law) and introduce their own cultural standpoints on the issue of gender equity.[/size]

[size=-1]Islam on the other hand gives men and women different roles and equity between the two is laid down in the Quran and the example of the Prophet (peace be upon him). Islam sees a woman, whether single or married, as an individual in her own right, with the right to own and dispose of her property and earnings. A marriage gift is given by the groom to the bride for her own personal use, and she keeps her own family name rather than taking her husband's. Both men and women are expected to dress in a way that is modest and dignified. The Messenger of God (peace be upon him) said: "The most perfect in faith amongst believers is he who is best in manner and kindest to his wife."[/size]

[size=-1]Violence of any kind towards women and forcing them against their will for anything is not allowed. A Muslim marriage is a simple, legal agreement in which either partner is free to include conditions. Marriage customs thus vary widely from country to country. Divorce is not common, although it is acceptable as a last resort. According to Islam, a Muslim girl cannot be forced to marry against her will: her parents simply suggest young men they think may be suitable.[/size]

[size=-1]MISCONCEPTION #3: Muslims worship a different God.[/size]

[size=-1]Allah is simply the Arabic word for God. Allah for Muslims is the greatest and most inclusive of the Names of God, it is an Arabic word of rich meaning, denoting the one and only God and ascribing no partners to Him. It is exactly the same word which the Jews, in Hebrew, use for God (eloh), the word which Jesus Christ used in Aramaic when he prayed to God. God has an identical name in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam; Allah is the same God worshiped by Muslims, Christians and Jews. Muslims believe that Allah's sovereignty is to be acknowledged in worship and in the pledge to obey His teaching and commandments, conveyed through His messengers and prophets who were sent at various times and in many places throughout history. However, it should be noted that God in Islam is One and Only. He, the Exalted, does not get tired, does not have a son ie Jesus or have associates, nor does He have human-like attributions as found in other faiths.[/size]

[size=-1]MISCONCEPTION #4:[/size][size=-1] Islam was spread by the sword and intolerant of other faiths.[/size]

[size=-1]Many social studies textbooks for students show the image of an Arab horseman carrying a sword in one hand and the Quran in the other conquering and forcibly converting. This, though, is not a correct portrayal of history. Islam has always given respect and freedom of religion to all faiths. The Quran says: "God forbids you not, with regards to those who fight you not for [your] faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them; for God loveth those who are just. 60:8)[/size]

[size=-1]Freedom of religion is laid down in the Quran itself: "There is no compulsion (or coercion) in the religion (Islam). The right direction is distinctly clear from error". (2:256)[/size]

[size=-1]Christian missionary, T.W. Arnold had this opinion on his study of the question of the spread of Islam: ".. of any organized attempt to force the acceptance of Islam on the non-Muslim population, or of any systematic persecution intended to stamp out the Christian religion, we hear nothing. Had the caliphs chosen to adopt either course of action, they might have swept away Christianity as easily as Ferdinand and Isabella drove Islam out of Spain, or Louis XIV made Protestanism ..."[/size]

[size=-1]It is a function of Islamic law to protect the privileged status of minorities, and this is why non-Muslim places of worship have flourished all over the Islamic world. History provides many examples of Muslim tolerance towards other faiths: when the caliph Omar entered Jerusalem in the year 634, Islam granted freedom of worship to all religious communities in the city. Proclaiming to the inhabitants that their lives, and property were safe, and that their places of worship would never be taken from them, he asked the Christian patriarch Sophronius to accompany him on a visit to all the holy places. Islamic law also permits non-Muslim minorities to set up their own courts, which implement family laws drawn up by the minorities themselves. The life and property of all citizens in an Islamic state are considered sacred whether the person is Muslim or not.[/size]

[size=-1]Racism is not a part of Islam, the Quran speaks only of human equality and how all peoples are equal in the sight of God. "O mankind! We created you from a single soul, male and female, and made you into nations and tribes, so that you may come to know one another. Truly, the most honored of you in God's sight is the greatest of you in piety. God is All-Knowing, All- Aware. (49:13)[/size]

[size=-1]MISCONCEPTION #5: All Muslims are Arabs[/size]

[size=-1]The Muslim population of the world is around 1.2 billion. 1 out of 5 people in the world is a Muslim. They are a vast range of races, nationalities, and cultures from around the globe--from the Phillipines to Nigeria--they are united by their common Islamic faith. Only about 18% live in the Arab world and the largest Muslim community is in Indonesia. Most Muslims live east of Pakistan. 30% of Muslims live in the Indian subcontinent, 20% in Sub-Saharan Africa, 17% in Southeast Asia, 18% in the Arab world, and 10% in the Soviet Union and China. Turkey, Iran and Afghanistan make up 10% of the non-Arab Middle East. Although there are Muslim minorities in almost every area, including Latin America and Australia, they are most numerous in Russia and its newly independent states, India and central Africa. There are about 6 million Muslims in the United States[/size]

taken from http://www.themodernreligion.com/basic/misconceptions.htm

bouncer

May 30, 2002
Canada
Visit site
✟1,032.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
mo.mentum said:
[size=-1]MISCONCEPTION #3: Muslims worship a different God.[/size]

[size=-1]Allah is simply the Arabic word for God. Allah for Muslims is the greatest and most inclusive of the Names of God, it is an Arabic word of rich meaning, denoting the one and only God and ascribing no partners to Him. It is exactly the same word which the Jews, in Hebrew, use for God (eloh), the word which Jesus Christ used in Aramaic when he prayed to God. God has an identical name in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam; Allah is the same God worshiped by Muslims, Christians and Jews. Muslims believe that Allah's sovereignty is to be acknowledged in worship and in the pledge to obey His teaching and commandments, conveyed through His messengers and prophets who were sent at various times and in many places throughout history. However, it should be noted that God in Islam is One and Only. He, the Exalted, does not get tired, does not have a son ie Jesus or have associates, nor does He have human-like attributions as found in other faiths.[/size]

taken from http://www.themodernreligion.com/basic/misconceptions.htm

Don't want to seem like i'm picking on you, but after all the posts where you claimed that Allah is the name of God, it does seem that Allah is simply the Arabic word for God. :)

However, I agree with the explanation above, in that we do worship the same God historically. If there is any reason anyone should claim that Christians and Muslims worship different Gods this is it:
However, it should be noted that God in Islam is One and Only. He, the Exalted, does not get tired, does not have a son ie Jesus or have associates....
The nature of the God we believe in is different. For this same reason it can be argued that Christians and Jews also worship different Gods.

Though please note, that we don't believe that God has a 'son' ( in the human sense ) or that he gets tired or that he has associates equal to him...common Muslim misconceptions of Christianity. :)

PS: I don't buy the moon-god concept tho...

Upvote 0

mo.mentum

[One God]
Aug 9, 2003
Montreal
✟16,445.00
Faith
Muslim
bouncer said:
Don't want to seem like i'm picking on you, but after all the posts where you claimed that Allah is the name of God, it does seem that Allah is simply the Arabic word for God.

In fact, it is both. The word "ilah" means "deity". "Allah" would literally mean "The Deity" or "The God". But also, in the Qur'an God lists His 99 Names, or Divine Attributes such as Al-Rahman (The Merciful), Al-Khaleq (The Creator), Al-Wadud (Source of Love), Al-Salam (Source of Peace), etc etc...

But Allah is the only name which also encompasses all those names into one. So Allah is not only a name, but also a rank/grade, and a comprehensive reference to all His Names.

Though please note, that we don't believe that God has a 'son' ( in the human sense ) or that he gets tired or that he has associates equal to him...common Muslim misconceptions of Christianity. :)

Very True! But i have but to pick up a Bible and read the account of Genesis, and see that God needed to rest on the seventh day.

Also, it's not 'son' in the human sense for sure, but some poeple claim that Jesus was the begotten son of God, so how is that not in the human sense?

Also, does it make sense that on Judgement Day, God will ask you why you weren't more like Jesus and your answer would be something like "Well, how can I an imperfect human be like a half God like Jesus?". I hope you don't take offense, I'm just being curious.

I value your statements that yoru conception of God is that He is Exalted and nothing is associated to Him. But the fact is, Christian creed does give lordship to Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Yes, you can argue that they are 3 of the same 1, but we can really get into complicated debates about how that can be explained. God is not a mystery, He created the Universe so that He would be known.

PS: I don't buy the moon-god concept tho...
OH THANK YOU! You know how many times I've had to dispel that one?! I can't believe people are telling me this! It's absurd!!

Upvote 0

bouncer

May 30, 2002
Canada
Visit site
✟1,032.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
mo.mentum said:
Very True! But i have but to pick up a Bible and read the account of Genesis, and see that God needed to rest on the seventh day.

But this is absurd! If you were to read the account of Genesis, you would also read how God created. He said, 'Let there be Light!' and there was light. For each 'creation' all he did was say the word. Now, if indeed he created in this fashion why would he need to rest ? Even a regular human being wouldn't need to rest. God did this to set an example for his people to follow. (This became the tradition of the Sabbath in Jewish customs) People are to work six days of the week and set apart the seventh day for God. Jesus, explained when he said 'The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath'. The Jews thought God rested, therefore we must rest too and went as far as to abolish any form of 'work' on the Sabbath. However, as Jesus explained, God didn't need to rest at all. He did that, so that people may rest from the week's work, and remember God on the seventh day for all the He has given them. (This is an example of a so-called 'law' that Jesus broke, when he healed the sick on the Sabbath, but he explained how this law was not really broken, since the Jews simply misinterpreted the meaning of the law)

Please, God does not need rest! No Christian will really believe that.

Also, it's not 'son' in the human sense for sure, but some poeple claim that Jesus was the begotten son of God, so how is that not in the human sense?

Wow...sometimes its amazing, the misconceptions that exist. I don't blame you for your confusion here. Many Christians get carried away in quoting Biblical scripture, and how God gave his 'only begotten' son to die for us, that they end up conveying a very wrong impression to non-Christians. The word 'begotten' is a poorly translated word for the greek word monogenes (mono-only/one, genos-like/of same nature). Jesus was NOT begotten in the human sense. He did not originate from Mary. Jesus has no origin, He is eternal just like the Father is.

Jesus himself said, "Before Abraham was, I AM".

Please take the time to read this: http://www.biblelessons.com/begotten.html

Remember, for Christians, Jesus is eternal and uncreated. He is of the same substance as the Father and together with the Holy Spirit is ONE with the Father. No 'son' concept in the human sense.

Also, does it make sense that on Judgement Day, God will ask you why you weren't more like Jesus and your answer would be something like "Well, how can I an imperfect human be like a half God like Jesus?". I hope you don't take offense, I'm just being curious.

For one, Jesus did not come to set a standard. He just showed that the standard which was already set by God can be met. He died for our sins, therefore the question is irrelevant. But yes, we will have to account for our sins in what we could control, and our answer will be no different than what yours will be. I really don't understand what Jesus has to do with our answer on judgement day. Jesus was sent simply because God knows, that we are weak and sinful!

I value your statements that yoru conception of God is that He is Exalted and nothing is associated to Him. But the fact is, Christian creed does give lordship to Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Yes, you can argue that they are 3 of the same 1, but we can really get into complicated debates about how that can be explained. God is not a mystery, He created the Universe so that He would be known.

I admit the Trinity concept is hard to grasp, and difficult for non-Christians to simply accept. God is not a mystery, yes, he has revealed to us as being of triune nature. However, here you are confusing mystery and simplicity. Just because the nature of God is complex to understand, does not mean that it is a mystery. Besides, the Universe itself has infinite secrets that are still unknown and yet you claim that God must be simple enough to understand ? Does a complex notion of God indicate a false notion of God ? How can we with our finite minds begin to even know what God is really like ? Besides, why would anyone intentionally 'cook-up' an idea like the Trinity ? If you were to read the Bible, the Triune nature of God is clearly revealed, even if it is not explicitly stated.

Upvote 0

mo.mentum

[One God]
Aug 9, 2003
Montreal
✟16,445.00
Faith
Muslim
bouncer said:
Please, God does not need rest! No Christian will really believe that.
Ok good so we agree onthis one :)

The word 'begotten' is a poorly translated word for the greek word monogenes (mono-only/one, genos-like/of same nature). Jesus was NOT begotten in the human sense. He did not originate from Mary. Jesus has no origin, He is eternal just like the Father is.
Ok cool. We don't think he originated from Mary. God had but to say to him "Be!" and so he was! Just like you conceive of God creating with a word, so do we. ]

The Originator of the heavens and the earth. When He decrees a matter, He only says to it : "be!" - and it is. (Al-Baqarah 2:117)

She said: "O my Lord! How shall I have a son when no man has touched me." He said: "So (it will be) for Allâh creates what He wills. When He has decreed something, He says to it only: "be!" and it is. (Aali Imran 3:47)
It is He Who has created the heavens and the earth in truth, and on the Day (i.e. the Day of Resurrection) He will say: "be!", - and it shall become. His Word is the truth. His will be the dominion on the Day when the trumpet will be blown. All­Knower of the unseen and the seen. He is the All­Wise, Well-Aware (of all things). (Al-An'am 6:73)

Jesus himself said, "Before Abraham was, I AM".

Please take the time to read this: http://www.biblelessons.com/begotten.html

Remember, for Christians, Jesus is eternal and uncreated. He is of the same substance as the Father and together with the Holy Spirit is ONE with the Father. No 'son' concept in the human sense.
But if He was of the same "substance" as the Father, how could Jesus not be endowed with the perfect knowledge of God, since we see him learn new things, or not knowing the right seasons for figs. He also grows in the womb of a woman, eats, dirnks, sleeps. Yet God tires not. And if this is because is human nature is imprinted on the Son, does that mean that the God nature within Jesus is subject to the human nature? Explain :)

But yes, we will have to account for our sins in what we could control, and our answer will be no different than what yours will be. I really don't understand what Jesus has to do with our answer on judgement day. Jesus was sent simply because God knows, that we are weak and sinful!
But i thought that you are saved if you simply believe in Christ and accept him as your saviour. So why will you account for your deeds? Yes God knows we are weak and sinful, but that is different that claiming that we are inherently sinful or are born in sin because of our ancestor Adam's disobediance. Sin is transferred in the gene pool? Cannot God wipe away sin through sheer will? What good are good deeds with this kind of view?

I admit the Trinity concept is hard to grasp, and difficult for non-Christians to simply accept. God is not a mystery, yes, he has revealed to us as being of triune nature.
Hmmm. Contradiction alert. :) The Triune nature of God was concluded in the Nicean council yes? Before that there were competing theologies regarding the nature and divinity of Christ. Jesus never said, as far as i know, anything clear about the Trinity. Yes he may have alluded to being one with God, but never explicitly saying he was God or part of a Trinity. These are presumptions or ways of interpreting things, i think :) No offence of oucrse!

Besides, why would anyone intentionally 'cook-up' an idea like the Trinity ? If you were to read the Bible, the Triune nature of God is clearly revealed, even if it is not explicitly stated.
Why would God not be explicit about His nature? He was very explicit in OT about His Oneness and Uniqueness, why not in NT? He does same in the Qur'an, spells out very clearly How and Who he is, why not in NT?

I'm really sorry if im giving you a hard time, but i want to get tot he bottom of things! I intend no offence. radroth might think otherwise though.

Upvote 0

bouncer

May 30, 2002
Canada
Visit site
✟1,032.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
mo.mentum said:
Ok cool. We don't think he originated from Mary. God had but to say to him "Be!" and so he was! Just like you conceive of God creating with a word, so do we.

Just to point out, God did not create Jesus according to Christianity. Jesus was God, and is uncreated and eternal. But, I guess you know that by now.:)

But if He was of the same "substance" as the Father, how could Jesus not be endowed with the perfect knowledge of God, since we see him learn new things, or not knowing the right seasons for figs. He also grows in the womb of a woman, eats, dirnks, sleeps. Yet God tires not. And if this is because is human nature is imprinted on the Son, does that mean that the God nature within Jesus is subject to the human nature? Explain :)

Jesus is both God and man at the same time. However, the God nature is not subject to the human nature, instead the God nature allows the human nature to follow its course. At any given point of time He could have gone against the course of nature, and not have to go through the whole process of growing up, eating, drinking, sleeping etc. but he didn't. The very purpose of His coming down was to live as a regular man.

Also, Jesus does have the perfect knowledge of God. However, his knowledge depends on the will of the Father. Again tricky point, but in the Trinity, the Father is greater than the Son. Note however, that the Father and Son are still of the same substance and are essentially one, but that is what is meant when Jesus said, "The Father sent me", or "The Father is greater than I". Jesus' human life is dictated by the Father. It was the Father that sent Him to live as a human.

But i thought that you are saved if you simply believe in Christ and accept him as your saviour. So why will you account for your deeds? Yes God knows we are weak and sinful, but that is different that claiming that we are inherently sinful or are born in sin because of our ancestor Adam's disobediance. Sin is transferred in the gene pool? Cannot God wipe away sin through sheer will? What good are good deeds with this kind of view?

Sin does not travel through the gene pool. Original sin is simply this: All mankind is essentially weak and sinful, however when Adam disobeyed God and ate the fruit, man now had the knowledge of Good and Evil and was henceforth responsible for his actions. Being weak however, man is more inclined to sin. That is all. There is no sin being transferred from generation to generation.

Still, the point is, whatever good you may do in your life it is worthless to God, since you can never reach the perfect standard set by God. However, that does not mean you can start doing evil things, since God WILL punish evil deeds and we are responsible for them. This is made clear in the Bible.

Hmmm. Contradiction alert. :) The Triune nature of God was concluded in the Nicean council yes? Before that there were competing theologies regarding the nature and divinity of Christ. Jesus never said, as far as i know, anything clear about the Trinity. Yes he may have alluded to being one with God, but never explicitly saying he was God or part of a Trinity. These are presumptions or ways of interpreting things, i think :) No offence of oucrse!

Your right here. He didn't explicitly say He was part of a Trinity. But as you have been generous enough to accept, He did allude to being ONE with God along with the Holy Spirit. So what is the natural conclusion ? Trinity! That is a conclusion based simply upon what is revealed in the Bible, no more no less.
You cannot be 'one' with God, without being God -- thats blasphemy. :)

Upvote 0

Lyle

I am last minute stuff
Nov 12, 2003
Home
Visit site
✟11,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm only going to attempt to taskle to thing about the women... How is it, that Islam doesn't oppress wemon, when the Qu' ran teaches so low of them? Saying most of hell is filled with them? You have many accounts to Mohammed telling women they're going to burn in hell, for no reason at all. Mohammed instructs husbands to keep rods on their walls and beat them with it often?

Upvote 0

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
between a frozen wastelan and a wast desert
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Lyle said:
I'm only going to attempt to taskle to thing about the women... How is it, that Islam doesn't oppress wemon, when the Qu' ran teaches so low of them? Saying most of hell is filled with them? You have many accounts to Mohammed telling women they're going to burn in hell, for no reason at all. Mohammed instructs husbands to keep rods on their walls and beat them with it often?

First, all that you mentioned is Hadith, ie the words of the Prophet Muhammed (saws), and not found in the Qur'an. Hadith need to be understood within the context that they were said.

When we look to the Qur'an, we find this said about women:

And for women are rights over men similar to those of men over women. (2:226)

For Muslim men and women, for believing men and women, for devout men and women, for true men and women, for men and women who are patient and constant, for men and women who humble themselves, for men and women who give in charity, for men and women who fast, for men and women who guard their chastity, and for men and women who engage much in Allah's praise, for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward. (33:35)

O you who believe! You are forbidden to inherit women against their will. Nor should you treat them with harshness, that you may take away part of the dowry you have given them - except when they have become guilty of open lewdness. On the contrary live with them on a footing of kindness and equity. If you take a dislike to them, it may be that you dislike something and Allah will bring about through it a great deal of good. (4:19)

In Islam, men and women are spiritual equals in front of God. Both husbands and wives have rights over one another, and being kind is one of the greatest charities.

Many western women are looking to Islam and finding equality and respect. If people approach Islam with an open heart and mind, they may also find this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Curt

Curt
Jan 26, 2004
Puyallup, Washington
✟792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Makes no difference what anyone thinks or what other books say, God considers The Holy Spirit inspired Scriptures, identified by those who walked with Jesus, higher that His Name. They recorded that He was born of Mary sired of The Holy Spirit, and God in the audience of many people said "This Is My Beloved Son In Whom I Am Well Pleased." So anyone who does not believe this they don't believe God. And Jesus said I Am The Way, and no one comes to The Father but by Me. So that rules out everyone regardless of how much they try to bypass Jesus, to get to The Father, they will be those identified in The Bible as those who try to come into the kingdom another way. Thats The Holy Spirit Inspired Scripture, and God does not lie.

Upvote 0

radorth

Contributor
Jul 29, 2003
LA area
Visit site
✟16,044.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yes he may have alluded to being one with God, but never explicitly saying he was God or part of a Trinity. These are presumptions or ways of interpreting things, I think.
Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. (Psalm 51:11)

The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool. (Psalm 110:1)

Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it [the beginning] was, there am I: and now the Lord GOD, and his Spirit, hath sent me.

(Isaiah 48:16 and 17.)​

" 'I tell you the truth,' Jesus answered, 'before Abraham was born, I am!' At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds." (John 8:58-59)

"The high priest asked him, 'Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?'"
'I am,' said Jesus. 'And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.' " (Mark 14:61-62)

" 'But what about you?' he asked. 'Who do you say I am?'
"Simon Peter answered, 'You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.'
"Jesus replied, 'Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven.' " (Matthew 16:15-17)

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit...." (Matthew 28:19)

"May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all." (2 Corinthians 13:14)

"... Chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by his blood...." (1 Peter 1:2)

I'm afraid the presumptions are all yours Mo.

(Rad 3:21)

Upvote 0

keithylishus

Equilibrium reactant guy
Oct 28, 2003
✟15,782.00
Faith
mo.mentum said:
Genesis
2:1 The heavens and the earth were completed with everything that was in them. 2:2 By the seventh day God finished the work that he had been doing, and he ceased (*) on the seventh day all the work that he had been doing. 2:3 God blessed the seventh day and made it holy because on it he ceased all the work that he had been doing in creation.

* The Hebrew term tbv(sabat) can be translated "to rest" ("and he rested") but it basically means "to cease." This is not a rest from exhaustion; it is the cessation of the work of creation.

So it's not resting, as in relaxing, and stuff, but rest as in ceasing; like, "the car came to a rest".

Sorry, I actually knew about that, so I had to say...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

roadie432002

Jesus is Lord
Sep 22, 2003
kentucky
Visit site
✟285.00
Faith
Protestant
the doctrine of the Trinity asserts that there is one God who exists in three Persons:one divine essence which expresses itself always in three coequal,coeternal subsistences:the Father,the Son and the Holy Spirit.The biblical evidence that compels Christians to adopt the trinitarian position consists of passages that treat each Person of the Trinity as equally devine and passages that persistently group Father,Son,and Spirit together.Its easy to agree that the Father is God.(Rom 1:7:Gal 1:3).the evidence for the full deity of Jesus also permeates the New Testament (John 1:1,18:Heb 1:3,8:Rev 22:13)The New Testment says less about the Holy Spirit than about the Father and Son.However in the Ananias and Sapphira incident lying to the Holy Spirit (acts 5:3)is called lying to God.(v.4)In the following passages,the members of the Trinity are grouped together by various New Testament writers as a special expression of Gods character or work:Matthew 3:16,17;28:19;John 14:15-23;15:26;16:13-15;Acts 2:32:33;1 Cornithians 12:4-6;2 Cornithians 13:14;Galatians 4:4-6;ephasians 1:2-14;2:18;4:4-6;Philippians 3:3;Hebrews 10;10-15;1 Peter 1:2;1 John 5:1-12.Since God the Father has a Son,Jesus, its easy to understand that Christians and Muslims do NOT worship the same God.Muslims say Allah has no son,only 3 daughters.Allah was/is one of 360 idols that Mohammed picked to be his god,a desert sun god.Why do Muslims try to deceive christians with that lie.

Upvote 0

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
between a frozen wastelan and a wast desert
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
roadie432002 said:
its easy to understand that Christians and Muslims do NOT worship the same God.Muslims say Allah has no son,only 3 daughters.Allah was/is one of 360 idols that Mohammed picked to be his god,a desert sun god.Why do Muslims try to deceive christians with that lie.

Well, seeing as how our scriptures claim we worship the same God, that is what we Muslims will continue to claim.

Now you understand how the Jews feel when you claim that YHWH has a son. Nothing in Jewish tradition says G-d will have a "Son," and thus Christians are rather presumptious to say that He does.

And please, the moon God thing has been done so many times. Take the time to read all those threads before you go about claiming it, when Morey used faulty scholarship to come to his conclusions.

Example:

Morey's main premise is based on the works of Prof. Carlton S. Coon. However, Morey MISQUOTES him to back up his claim. Hmm, faulty evidence, misquoting, kind of kills his premise right there. Below is the quote as found in Prof. Coon's book:

The god Il or Ilah was originally a phase of the Moon God, but early in Arabian history the name became a general term for god, and it was this name that the Hebrews used prominently in their personal names, such as Emanu-el, Israel, etc., rather than the Bapal of the northern semites proper, which was the Sun. Similarly, under Mohammed's tutelage, the relatively anonymous Ilah became Al-Ilah, The God, or Allâh, the Supreme Being. (Carleton S.Coon, Southern Arabia, (Washington, D.C. Smithsonian, 1944) p.399).

So before the Prophet Muhammed (saws) Allah (swt) had become the general name for God. Much like when G-d spoke to Moses in Exodus 6:2-3 and said:

God also spoke to Moses and said to him: “I am the Lord. I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as ‘God Almighty’ (=El Shaddai), but by my name ‘The Lord’ (= YHWH) I did not make myself known to them.

Even the great Patriarchs did not call YHWH YHWH throughout their entire history. The true nature of God's name was not immediatly known.

And with that, I am late for a meeting. Ta ta

Upvote 0

Fiendishjester

Devil's advocate
Jun 28, 2003
in a field of pure consciousness
✟534.00
Faith
Hindu
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree with Alessandro completely. This has all been said before. Most of it isn't even a true debate, because the bulk of the discussion is both sides quoting scripture at each other, which will never convince the other side. All of the arguments being used can be twisted in either direction. For example: Some Christians argue that Allah was a moon deity and therefore cannot be the same as their God, but contrawise, it can be argued that the God of Christianity was once a God of war, during the time when the tribes were polytheistic. Likewise, all the other arguments can go either way, too.

Upvote 0