Top reasons for deconversion and how to counteract them?

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
  • What are the most common reasons that cause Christians to lose their faith and turn to atheism, agnosticism or skepticism?
  • Are these reasons only effective against young Christians, or are long-time committed Christians also vulnerable to have their faith "shaken" by these reasons? What about pastors, priests, evangelists, missionaries, etc.?
  • Lastly, what measures (if any) are Christian churches taking to counteract these reasons for deconversion? Do any Christian churches or organizations teach people how to have an unshakable faith, even in the face of the most challenging objections?
I think these are important questions to answer, especially with so many atheist activists spreading skepticism and atheism nowadays. Wikipedia has an informative list of atheist activists and educators. There are also the "Four Horsemen of the New Atheism", namely, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Daniel Dennett, and Sam Harris. In social media we also find lots of content producers who spread agnosticism, atheism and skeptical ways of thinking. For example, on YouTube I'm familiar with Genetically Modified Skeptic (458K subscribers), CosmicSkeptic (446K subscribers), The Atheist Experience (365K subscribers), Rationality Rules (296K subscribers), AronRa (263K subscribers) and Bart D. Ehrman (83K subscribers). Here is a list with the top 50 atheist YouTube channels.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: ronlion

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
  • What are the most common reasons that cause Christians to lose their faith and turn to atheism, agnosticism or skepticism?
  • Are these reasons only effective against young Christians, or are long-time committed Christians also vulnerable to have their faith "shaken" by these reasons? What about pastors, priests, evangelists, missionaries, etc.?
  • Lastly, what measures (if any) are Christian churches taking to counteract these reasons for deconversion?
  • For what it's worth, the number of people leaving Christianity for atheism, etc. are relatively few, from what I can tell. Those who become inactive because of boredom with the institutional Christian churches (but not necessarily with the Bible and its teachings), and so simply disaffiliate in favor of holding to their personal views are more common.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think you can reduce real Christianity to a mind game that comes and goes.
Real conversion establishes a permanent change in our identity, we are transferred from one spiritual kingdom to another and given the power to become son's and daughters of God.
His indwelling presence seals our salvation.
It is much more than giving mental assent to a philosophy.
For this reason I conclude that real faith cant be lost - it is a relationship with Jesus Himself and nothing can seperate us from His Love.

Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think you can reduce real Christianity to a mind game that comes and goes.
Real conversion establishes a permanent change in our identity, we are transferred from one spiritual kingdom to another and given the power to become son's and daughters of God.
His indwelling presence seals our salvation.
It is much more than giving mental assent to a philosophy.
For this reason I conclude that real faith cant be lost - it is a relationship with Jesus Himself and nothing can seperate us from His Love.

Good point. So the next key question would be: How to have a real, genuine conversion? How to have a real, genuine relationship with Jesus Himself?

• Agree
Reactions: ronlion
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For what it's worth, the number of people leaving Christianity for atheism, etc. are relatively few, from what I can tell. Those who become inactive because of boredom with the institutional Christian churches (but not necessarily with the Bible and its teachings), and so simply disaffiliate in favor of holding to their personal views are more common.

Are you basing this on statistics?

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From what I've seen from the recent craze of "deconstructing"/deconversion, the reasoning lies in hurt and dislike of the church, and having issues with societies standards VS. Christian standards. Dislike of the church can be anything from not liking their politics, to not liking the door greeters (I wish I was kidding) or the worship. The main issue as I see it is the fact that people are getting so brainwashed by society that they think that society must be right and God's Word must be wrong so they then start coming up with ridiculous reasoning to invalidate the Word of God. Such as since Paul's letters were written to specific churches and people in specific times they are not for today or outright questioning who wrote the Gospels. There's also other things such as that the original Greek or Hebrew doesn't mean what scholars have known for millennia. They seem to make excuse after excuse with the ultimate goal of forcing societal standards into being a modern Christian. It really is sad and all we can do is pray for them and show them the love of God and answer their questions biblically and from a place of love and not judgement.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Lastly, what measures (if any) are Christian churches taking to counteract these reasons for deconversion? Do any Christian churches or organizations teach people how to have an unshakable faith, even in the face of the most challenging objections?
I think these are important questions to answer, especially with so many atheist activists spreading skepticism and atheism nowadays. Wikipedia has an informative list of atheist activists and educators. There are also the "Four Horsemen of the New Atheism", namely, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Daniel Dennett, and Sam Harris. In social media we also find lots of content producers who spread agnosticism, atheism and skeptical ways of thinking. For example, on YouTube I'm familiar with CosmicSkeptic (446K subscribers), The Atheist Experience (365K subscribers), AronRa (263K subscribers) and Bart D. Ehrman (83K subscribers). Here is a list with the top 50 atheist YouTube channels.
I belive children/teens who are spoon fed Christianity are the most at risk for leaving their congregation. It is assumed they are regenerated when they are not. Sometimes they are just too young to know Christ. Their spiritual foundation is not there leading them to waver and finally apostisize. Then there are those who completely turn in the other direction due to bad theology , experiences and constraints. These are the fighters against Jesus Christ of Nazareth that come out of denominations that may not have been preaching truth.

Faith starts with loving the Lord your God Jesus Christ of Nazareth. With this love, faith cannot be shaken. I suspect love is not in the hearts of these individuals. If there is love, they will come back.

Blessings

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think these are important questions to answer, especially with so many atheist activists spreading skepticism and atheism nowadays. Wikipedia has an informative list of atheist activists and educators. There are also the "Four Horsemen of the New Atheism", namely, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Daniel Dennett, and Sam Harris. In social media we also find lots of content producers who spread agnosticism, atheism and skeptical ways of thinking. For example, on YouTube I'm familiar with CosmicSkeptic (446K subscribers), The Atheist Experience (365K subscribers), AronRa (263K subscribers) and Bart D. Ehrman (83K subscribers). Here is a list with the top 50 atheist YouTube channels.

These days, the death of faith in a modern-mind--often in a younger, more impressionable one but not exclusive to it--comes by way of "a thousand cuts." :(

According to Christian apologist, Sean McDowell, we as Christians need to do our best to offer more than merely a thousand band-aids (not his exact words, but I think I more or less agree with him).

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Are you basing this on statistics?
No, and I don't think there are such stats. It was just something to consider.

I really don't know many former Christians at all who converted to Atheism or something similar, BUT (and I'm sure others can attest to it also) there are plenty who fell away from churchgoing and couldn't abide this or that doctrine, etc., but insist that they still hold to what they think are the right ways to follow Christ. However that strikes you, pro or con or off-topic, is okay with me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sexual abuse at the hands of a Christian leader, or fellow Christian, can hurt or kill a person’s faith.

A model of salvation theology which expects a person to be pretty much good to go spiritually for life after a prayer or conversion experience can set a person up for disaster. It does not take into account the realities of Christians struggling with depression, heart break, sorrow, stress, trauma, or emptiness. When the Christian runs into these things and they don’t clear up after five seconds of prayer, doubts about salvation, God’s goodness, or God’s reality can set in.

Christians need to be better able to address depression, dark nights of the soul, trauma, and loss. We need to move beyond simply quoting Bible passages at each other, or responding to intense pain with cheerful slogans. We need to become better listeners.

Upvote 0

DiscipleOfChrist85

Servant Of The True King
Sep 20, 2021
Florida
✟26,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
And better leaders, I feel like there is a lack of good young leaders in the church today but I also feel like the church avoids the truly difficult topics and sticks to a "feel good message" but maybe I'm wrong.

Upvote 0

DiscipleOfChrist85

Servant Of The True King
Sep 20, 2021
Florida
✟26,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
But I also feel like most Christians tend to put up a wall around each other. Many people people who become atheist, agnostic etc are often hurt and feel cheated and sometimes they need someone who actually cares I think we need to listen and actually engage with them more.
What do you think ?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
And better leaders, I feel like there is a lack of good young leaders in the church today but I also feel like the church avoids the truly difficult topics and sticks to a "feel good message" but maybe I'm wrong.
I think you're onto something with this. How often do we hear someone leaving a church--and not going to a different one--because the pastor gave unfulfilling "feel good" sermons OR went to the other extreme.

I also know people who quit because the sermons are constantly about how evil the people in the congregation are.

Without passing judgment on the choice of sermon topic made by any ministers, and without saying that such a 'problem' justifies anyone renouncing Christianity, this "fed-upness" does seem to happen a lot.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
According to Christian apologist, Sean McDowell, we as Christians need to do our best to offer more than merely a thousand band-aids (not his exact words, but I think I more or less agree with him).

What would be more than "a thousand band-aids"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DiscipleOfChrist85

Servant Of The True King
Sep 20, 2021
Florida
✟26,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Authentic honest biblical answers and actions. The masses want honest authentic answers and they want you to be honest. If you want to convince them that are path is the only path, then you have to lead by example and through love and obedience from God.
At least that is what I think.

• Winner
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Many report just what I've heard from some in face to face conversations: That the people in a church were 'hypocritical' or 'judgmental'.

So that hypocrisy and/or judgmentalism made that individual lose faith and/or leave the church, and not go to another.

• Nearly all — 96 percent — cited life changes, including moving to college and work responsibilities that prevented them from attending.
  • Seventy-three percent said church or pastor-related reasons led them to leave. Of those, 32 percent said church members seemed judgmental or hypocritical and 29 percent said they did not feel connected to others who attended.
https://www.tennessean.com/story/ne...-young-adults-dropping-out-church/2550997002/

Upvote 0

DiscipleOfChrist85

Servant Of The True King
Sep 20, 2021
Florida
✟26,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes I agree most atheists that I talk too say that the reason that they left the faith was because they were tired of being judged by others. That has certainly bothered me for years because I try to avoid being that way but I feel that be trying to please others, I ignore God.
Who else has felt that ?

• Informative
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, those stats could be interpreted a number of different ways and, according to what was written in the report, some people could have answered in the affirmative to all of them.

• Nearly all — 96 percent — cited life changes, including moving to college and work responsibilities that prevented them from attending.

Seventy-three percent said church or pastor-related reasons led them to leave. Of those, 32 percent said church members seemed judgmental or hypocritical and 29 percent said they did not feel connected to others who attended.

Upvote 0