United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The Editors: It is time for the Kavanaugh nomination to be withdrawn

They previously had endorsed the nomination of Kavanaugh but have now withdrawn that endorsement.

If Senate Republicans proceed with his nomination, they will be prioritizing policy aims over a woman’s report of an assault. Were he to be confirmed without this allegation being firmly disproved, it would hang over his future decisions on the Supreme Court for decades and further divide the country. Even if one thinks that Dr. Blasey's allegations are not credible, demonstrating them not to be would require further investigations and testimony. This would include calling additional witnesses and assessing further allegations against Judge Kavanaugh from other women, to which Republicans on the committee have been unwilling to commit and which would be divisive in any case.

• Informative
Reactions: JackRT

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I'm actually shocked that America magazine would ever have endorsed Kavanaugh in the first place. They are quite liberal. So their withdrawl of support doesn't mean much for what Catholic opinion makers are thinking.

In the past decade millions have been paid out to the victims of sexual abuse by priests. Many of those victims came forward many decades after the fact, without a lot of physical evidence to corroborate. Some of those victims were in their teens, not small children.

The National Catholic Reporter also wrote an article supportive of Dr. Ford & critical of Kavanaugh and Trump.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Editors: It Is time for the Kavanaugh nomination to be withdrawn

I wonder how they feel about the pedophiles in their midst.

• Agree
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I wonder how they feel about the pedophiles in their midst.

What pedophiles? You actually believe 35 year old accusations now?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
In the past decade millions have been paid out to the victims of sexual abuse by priests. Many of those victims came forward many decades after the fact, without a lot of physical evidence to corroborate. Some of those victims were in their teens, not small children.
What does that have to do with the topic at hand? Smells like a cheap shot against the Catholic Church having nothing to do at all with anyone endorsing or not endorsing Kavanaugh. And it's billions with a 'b' and not mere millions.
The National Catholic Reporter also wrote an article supportive of Dr. Ford & critical of Kavanaugh and Trump.
That wouldn't be a surprise either as they wear their liberalism on their sleeve far more than their Catholicism. What WOULD have been significant was if the National Catholic Register would have written such a thing instead of the National Catholic Reporter.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
That's a good point, if there isn't an investigation that can please the majority of people, it would be divisive and undermine the Court's credibility.

But alot of damage is already done. Kavanaugh went on a political attack yesterday, becoming even conspiratorial in a way that was not called for. It's clear he's no fan of "the left", for sure, which means he's sort of played his hand. Something that judicial appointees tend to try not to do so overtly.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That's a good point, if there isn't an investigation that can please the majority of people, it would be divisive and undermine the Court's credibility.

That's a good point... incidentally, who, if anyone, would benefit if SCOTUS' credibility went in the tank?

But alot of damage is already done. Kavanaugh went on a political attack yesterday, becoming even conspiratorial in a way that was not called for.

I half expected him to pull off his mask and be Donald himself underneath.

It's clear he's no fan of "the left", for sure, which means he's sort of played his hand. Something that judicial appointees tend to try not to do so overtly.

A pity the Senate approves of such naked partisanship.

Upvote 0

straykat

Apr 17, 2018
Catacombs
✟22,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

It makes a world of difference when there's a pattern of supposed crimes (i.e. like these priests.. or high profile cases like Harvey Weinstein). Not isolated ones.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It makes a world of difference when there's a pattern of supposed crimes (i.e. like these priests.. or high profile cases like Harvey Weinstein). Not isolated ones.

3 accusers... all isolated. Got it.

Upvote 0

straykat

Apr 17, 2018
Catacombs
✟22,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
3 accusers... all isolated. Got it.

No, you don't get it. If it was a pattern, it would have continued in his adult life. Especially a person this egregious, where he's reached near cartoon villain levels. It'd be a "worst kept secret" in DC at best. Yet the number of people defending him (including many women) far outnumber this.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
No, you don't get it. If it was a pattern, it would have continued in his adult life.

Not if he stopped. Nobody's claiming that he's a rapist now...

Especially a person this egregious, where he's reached near cartoon villain levels. It'd be a "worst kept secret" in DC at best. Yet the number of people defending him (including many women) far outnumber this.

Meanwhile, I can name hundreds of women Jack the Ripper didn't kill...

Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟811,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm actually shocked that America magazine would ever have endorsed Kavanaugh in the first place. They are quite liberal. So their withdrawl of support doesn't mean much for what Catholic opinion makers are thinking.
It's interesting that you would consider the magazine quite liberal when it adheres to Catholic doctrine and most consider the Church conservative.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟293,730.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I think he was gentlemanly, compared to what I would have said to that pompous congress, had they slandered me and put my family through those filthy things they were openly saying.

We have no reason to believe he is innocent.

• Winner
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟293,730.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It's interesting that you would consider the magazine quite liberal when it adheres to Catholic doctrine and most consider the Church conservative.

Catholics are a little bit more liberal than evangelicals in that they don't always adhere to every single aspect of republicanism.

I think it is the focus on doing good works rather than simply having faith as has always been the divide between catholic and protestant.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟811,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Catholics are a little bit more liberal than evangelicals in that they don't always adhere to every single aspect of republicanism.
I would agree but that is different than being "quite liberal" but Catholics vary politically, from far right to far left. As an example, of the four Supreme Court justices who are on the court presently, three are considered Conservative and one Liberal with the present nominee, Kavanaugh, being Conservative. Of course, far right Conservatives look at moderate Republicans as being quite liberal. :)

I think it is the focus on doing good works rather than simply having faith as has always been the divide between catholic and protestant.
Us Catholics call it being Christian. Living as Jesus called.

God bless

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
"When it adheres to Catholic doctrine" is debatable.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Just to be clear, I would not believe a 35 year old accusation against a Catholic priest if the accuser had never been a Catholic, and couldn't prove ever having stepped foot into the same Church as the priest.

An accusation doesn't amount to truth..there has to be some basis for belief.

Upvote 0