Too much singing and fellowship?

Sparky Lyle

Jun 10, 2011
✟7,612.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am a new Christian who attends a CoC in the Midwest. It is the conservative, non-instrumental type. Anyway, my question is not about whether instrumental music is biblical(personally, I don't see anything wrong with it). My complaint is that the church I attend spends too much time singing, 5-6 songs a service, when some of that time could be spent teaching from the Bible. I think 2-3 songs are enough and the rest should be sermonizing from the Bible. Don't get me wrong, the church I attend preaches straight from the Bible more than other churches that I have attended. 6 songs is overkill, IMO. Is it wrong that I feel this way?

Also, I'm a private person and I don't like potlucks and having lunch with fellow members. Not that they are not friendly. I would much prefer to attend the service, talk a little afterward and be on my way. I interpret fellowship as with Jesus and God, not with the members of the church. I do pray for the members if they request it, but I attend church to better understand God's will and to serve him as best as I can, not to make friends.

rayodeluz

Inadaptado
May 25, 2010
✟15,583.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I am a new Christian who attends a CoC in the Midwest. It is the conservative, non-instrumental type. Anyway, my question is not about whether instrumental music is biblical(personally, I don't see anything wrong with it). My complaint is that the church I attend spends too much time singing, 5-6 songs a service, when some of that time could be spent teaching from the Bible. I think 2-3 songs are enough and the rest should be sermonizing from the Bible. Don't get me wrong, the church I attend preaches straight from the Bible more than other churches that I have attended. 6 songs is overkill, IMO. Is it wrong that I feel this way?

Five or six songs a service would be too much for me as well.

Also, I'm a private person and I don't like potlucks and having lunch with fellow members. Not that they are not friendly. I would much prefer to attend the service, talk a little afterward and be on my way. I interpret fellowship as with Jesus and God, not with the members of the church. I do pray for the members if they request it, but I attend church to better understand God's will and to serve him as best as I can, not to make friends.

That's fine if that's how you feel Sparky. There's nothing wrong with it.

Upvote 0

rayodeluz

Inadaptado
May 25, 2010
✟15,583.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Fellowship is necessary. that's how the church started and that was the way they growth.

I can only partially agree with you Jefferson. Fellowship can certainly help and encourage a person, but I don't think it's necessary for growth. For many years I was like Sparky, but I continued to grow in the faith.

A proposito me notè que eres de Republica Dominica. Siempre he querido visitar tu pais. Me dicen que es muy hermoso. ¡Que Dios te bendiga!

Upvote 0

chefziti

Mar 10, 2011
✟15,115.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Fellowship is soooooo important! Think about it: we Christians are referred to as the "body of Christ" on earth. Social giftings considered, when we "push ourselves" or "choose" to fellowship, we grow and mature faster. How? By becoming intimate with our brothers and sisters-in-Christ (we ARE family, you know), learning how to Love (agape Love) by learning longsuffering, by learning mercy, etc etc and growing in all of these gifts faster by actual experience rather than just relying on studying them out of the bible.

I do not mean to minimize our need to be in the Word for growth and maturity as believers. That point I do not argue. However, there is a reason why the NT believers had a fellowship meal when they met and why we are exhorted not to forsake the assembling of the saints. They "lived life together" and as a result, grew in grace and faith. I am sure times "together" with fellow-humans were never easy. How does the saying go: "The church I started attending was perfect - until I showed up."

People are imperfect. As imperfect christians trying to walk this walk and living life together by choice and commitment, we allow the Holy Spirit to use ourselves and the brethren to refine us. And by persevering in this, we co-operate with the Spirit as He sanctifies us and conforms us to the image of Christ! Amen!

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Our church (AoG) does 5 songs, normally, and then there's an "Offertory".

And then the sermon/teaching is typically 40-50 minutes.

If you don't like it - don't go there. If you feel that you're SUPPOSED to be going there, then deal with it. You Might "Learn something" about people, and how to get along with 'em.

Upvote 0

chefziti

Mar 10, 2011
✟15,115.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The thing is, when we stand before God and live with Him in heaven, worship will be the #1 thing we do. When we read the Book of Revelation, worship before the throne is a key item stressed. So, it seems to logically follow that our time here on earth is a time of preparation. We WILL worship God is song, in shouts, in tears and in learning the Word. So now is the time to become comfortable doing so, with the Body.

When I evangelize on the streets and run into the person who professes Christ yet complains about church being too long (and I am not saying you are this way - i'm just expressing an idea to get a point across), my response is this:

"If you can't stand being in church for 2-3 hrs one day a week, what makes you think you would be happy or want to worship God 24/7 in heaven?" I then go on...."Those who God sends away from Heaven (a kind way of saying "sends to Hell") will go there willingly, for it will be their preference than to have to constantly worship God in heaven." Love

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Sparky Lyle. If the congregation likes singing a lot, I cannot see how it can be changed. As for fellowship, if you like a few words after the Service, then leave, I cannot see any wrong in it, quite a few people are like that. Jesus told the Lawyer in Matthew, chapter 22, verses 35-40:" The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: Love thy neighbour as thyself." God will see your heart, and God will know your likes and dislikes, and if you leave after some friendly words, and do not like to hang about, God will know, and understand. God is our loving Heavenly Father, and wants loving and caring children, whether you talk much or little, is your decision. Love is our great weapon, and love and care for our neighbour, is what God wants from us. I say this with love, Sparky. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0