Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's also mentioned in Acts repeatedly. A couple of examples:

Acts 19:6
And when Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking in tongues and prophesying.

Acts 10:44-46
While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word. And the believers from among the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles. For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God.

There's also this:

Mark 16:15-18
And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

• Winner
Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

LionHeartIV

Jan 28, 2019
Kharkov
✟8,117.00
Country
Ukraine
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It's also mentioned in Acts repeatedly. A couple of examples:

Acts 19:6
And when Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking in tongues and prophesying.

Acts 10:44-46
While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word. And the believers from among the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles. For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God.

There's also this:

Mark 16:15-18
And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Thanks. I'm curious to try to understand why Paul never wrotw about tongues in any of other letters, ie Galatians, Ephesians, Philipians or Colossians, etc?

• Friendly
Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

worshipjunkie

Dec 30, 2018
Springfield
✟27,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thanks. I'm curious to try to understand why Paul never wrotw about tongues in any of other letters, ie Galatians, Ephesians, Philipians or Colossians, etc?

My guess is that it wasn't an issue. When you read through Acts it seems clear that there is a post-conversion experience with the Holy Spirit, frequently marked by speaking in tongues. It probably wasn't under debate like it is today. Paul wrote to the specific needs of these churches. I believe 1 Corinthians contains the only post-gospel reference outside of the book of Acts to communion as well, to give another example.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Why is speaking in tongues only mentioned in Corinthians?

Have you read the gospels?

Jesus told us that those who believe will speak in tongues. Mark 16:16-18

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

He wouldn't need to as all the letters were passed around to all the churches.

Colossians 4:16
Now when this epistle is read among you, see that it is read also in the church of the Laodiceans, and that you likewise read the epistle from Laodicea.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm curious to try to understand why Paul never wrotw about tongues in any of other letters, ie Galatians, Ephesians, Philipians or Colossians, etc?
What about Romans 12:3-8?

This talks about gifts. But, of course, here there is no mention by Paul about tongues.

Why? you are asking.

Well, Paul needed to get into a lot of detail about a lot of things, with the Corinthians, since they were backslidden and immature. So, tongues along with many other items got attention. But the Romans were doing a lot better than the Corinthians; so Paul left out various details which are indeed covered in the two letters to the Corinthians. Romans is 13 chapters, Corinthians a total of 28 . . . more than twice as many as Romans. So, I see it possible how Paul left out more than a thing of two in writing the shorter letters.

He makes it clear how tongues is not as significant as prophecy and love. So, since it is less significant, it could be left out in messages with attention more focused on maturity and love.

So, a question might be, how is it, why is it, that certain people can use just about any scripture in the Bible to produce a lesson about tongues??

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
What about Romans 12:3-8?

This talks about gifts. But, of course, here there is no mention by Paul about tongues.

Why? you are asking.

Well, Paul needed to get into a lot of detail about a lot of things, with the Corinthians, since they were backslidden and immature. So, tongues along with many other items got attention. But the Romans were doing a lot better than the Corinthians; so Paul left out various details which are indeed covered in the two letters to the Corinthians. Romans is 13 chapters, Corinthians a total of 28 . . . more than twice as many as Romans. So, I see it possible how Paul left out more than a thing of two in writing the shorter letters.

He makes it clear how tongues is not as significant as prophecy and love. So, since it is less significant, it could be left out in messages with attention more focused on maturity and love.

So, a question might be, how is it, why is it, that certain people can use just about any scripture in the Bible to produce a lesson about tongues??

and to @LionHeartIV

The way I look at the gifts of Romans 12 is they are the gifts from the Father to everyone/mankind, like "he is a born leader." Where do you think people who are gifted that are not even Christians get their gift? It is up to them whether they use them for good, or for evil. Romans 11:29 says, "For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable." Tongues are not mentioned because you need to be indwelt with God's Spirit to speak in tongues, either individually or as the few are that are chosen for the profit of all in the congregations.

Then there are gifts for the individual Christians. They are found in Mark 16:16-18, including tongues for prayer and praise.

Then there are gifts for the Church congregations from the Holy Spirit. Those are found in 1 Corinthians 12, but all those gifts combined are not for every individual person as are the gifts of Mark 16, but only to those whom the Spirit chooses (but, at least, one gift such as faith or discernment). There is a tongues speaking gift in it as well, but the difference between the gift for the congregation that requires interpretation, and the gift or sign for the individual is the direction and purpose. This tongues gift called the gift of diverse kinds of tongues is similar to an office as seen at the end of the chapter, "29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?"

The direction of the individual prayer sign gift of Mark 16 that is given to ALL WHO BELIEVE is TO God and does not require interpretation (but you are advised to pray for the Spirit to give you the interpretation), but the office for messages are FROM God in tongues to the congregation that, of course, always require interpretation and can be equated to prophecy is only given to whom the Spirit chooses. Many ignorantly apply the questions at the end of chapter 12 to individual Christians, not knowing any better and to their shame, possibly trying to justify their own unbelief. Study to show yourselves approved.

Then there are gifts to the Church from Jesus in Ephesians 4. They are actually offices to the body of Christ for ministry and spreading the gospel to a dying world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟986,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Why does tongues seem to be the gateway to the other manifestations of the spiritual gifts?
My, if I could but number the times that one came to mind! But that seems to be the way it is handled, doesn’t it? My guess is it starts off as being one of the easiest to fabricate while also a substantial enduing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟986,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Baptism in the Holy Spirit which involves speaking in tongues is certainly the gateway to the gifts of the Holy Spirit being operated!
Brother 'quietbloke', being a retired AOG minister's insight, is seldom contested here, but I would like to expand upon his reasoning here. I've considered this as best I could, His word leading us is always best to be received and handled, collectively, the AOG supports this.

I just don't see the word of God rising to that degree of tongues being a 'gateway to the rest of His gifts'. I furthermore don't think this is all that incredibly difficult. But it appears we have sunk our spiritual teeth in on one word of two verses over the others, those being Acts 2:4 and Acts 19:7

And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues
And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied. 7 Now the men were about twelve in all.

Is that 'all' truly wise to formalize conclusion? The attempted justification and confirmation sails-past collective thought with the Apostle's wish,

I wish you all spoke with tongues

But I declare that is short-lived to conclude based upon further inspection,

Do all speak with tongues?

I would remind you, he is still talking to the Church and in the next verse does not conclude with anything more than an outlook,

But earnestly desire the best gifts.

What just happened in 1 Corinthians 12:31? Did the Holy Spirit formally set the tempo from selecting "all" to "each"? Yes, beginning back in 1 Corinthians 7,

I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that
Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith
These are just two, there are more. Where I believe the problem rests is those of us who have come this far and conclude that there is no further need for this level OR type of exuberance. But they can't without sweeping aside that "each" of 2 Timothy 1:6,

fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands
God bless the gift in you!

Last edited:
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0