Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This forum is only for those who believe in God's spiritual gifts and they're for today.

Read of times where the gospel message was presented to someone in their native language by a believer who hadn't learned that language as on the day of Pentecost..

With over 6500 languages and some of them being clicks, then thought that God was using one of those languages when speaking in tongues.

But a minister presented that primarly the tongues that God gives wouldn't be from a language that uses His name in vain.

Thought that's a good way of looking at it. What you think?

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: SANTOSO

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But a minister presented that primarly the tongues that God gives wouldn't be from a language that uses His name in vain.

I challenge that position.

I believe that God cherishes every language [a.k.a. tongue] (minus sin) just like He cherishes every tribe, nation & ethnicity (minus sin).* I believe that list should include every musical genre (minus sin), too.

I have a figure collection (that I use for drawing). I value its represented diversity.

Just like Jesus seeks to redeem individuals, I am certain that He wants a complete collection, too.

"And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached
in all the world
as a witness to all the nations,
and then the end will come." Matthew 24:14 NKJV

*See Philippians 2:11 & Revelation 7:9-10
He Reigns, Newsboys (2003)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear brothers and sisters,

I know many are concerned with the spiritual gift of tongue.
All gifts of the Holy Spirit is for a godly purpose.

I believe we should be concerned more with the giver, that is, Holy Spirit.

Unless we understand Holy Spirit’s will, we are not activating the gift as He purposes.

We should abide in His love, the gift of tongue will flow in His power and purpose in our life.

• Friendly
Reactions: Mayflower1
Upvote 0

Saint JOHN

May 5, 2017
Adelaide
✟20,848.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
1Co 14:2 For he that speaketh in an [unknown] tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth [him]; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

the account in acts 2v4 is the first time the Spirit is poured out for all; if you read correctly you will see at first sounded like languages then they heard babbling sounds like they were drunk(not eligible).

It is the way the true church started and still continues today; (received with the Bible evidence of speaking in tongues).

Joh 4:24 God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him MUST worship [him] in spirit and in truth.

Joh 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

so according to the word, how to pray in the Spirit ...

1Co 14:14 For if I pray in an [unknown] tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

Pure undefiled language God gives upon receiving the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal." KJV I Cor 13:1

"If I were to speak with eloquence in earth’s many languages, and in the heavenly tongues of angels, yet I didn’t express myself with love, my words would be reduced to the hollow sound of nothing more than a clanging cymbal." TPT I Cor 13:1

The tongues of angels wouldnt speak God 's name in vain.

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have we ever concerned about our mother tongue? Is not what with love matters ?

what right we can say to one another, that is, right ? Isn’t it language of love ?

Who better understand love than the One who is called Love Eternal ?

This is what we have heard:
and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. -Romans 5:5

So let us seek Holy Spirit with love.

Let us who have been given the gift of tongue operate in this love.

Let us long to have the gift of tongue ; speak about this as gift of love.

Let us stay in this love of Christ; won’t you shower gift when you are in love ?

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Acts 2
Easy-to-Read Version
The Coming of the Holy Spirit
2 When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a noise came from heaven. It sounded like a strong wind blowing. This noise filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw something that looked like flames of fire. The flames were separated and stood over each person there. 4 They were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they began to speak different languages. The Holy Spirit was giving them the power to do this.

5 There were some godly Jews in Jerusalem at this time. They were from every country in the world. 6 A large crowd came together because they heard the noise. They were surprised because, as the apostles were speaking, everyone heard in their own language.

7 They were all amazed at this. They did not understand how the apostles could do this. They said, “Look! These men we hear speaking are all from Galilee.[a] 8 But we hear them in our own languages. How is this possible? We are from all these different places: 9 Parthia, Media, Elam, Mesopotamia, Judea, Cappadocia, Pontus, Asia, 10 Phrygia, Pamphylia, Egypt, the areas of Libya near the city of Cyrene, Rome, 11 Crete, and Arabia. Some of us were born Jews, and others have changed their religion to worship God like Jews. We are from these different countries, but we can hear these men in our own languages! We can all understand the great things they are saying about God.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(That is just the first incident of tongues. The TOS for this sub-forum requires you to sign off on all of its subsequent forms found in the NT, too. If you cannot do that, you have not met the requirements of this TOS.)

• Winner
Reactions: topher694
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You know I always find it remarkable when in a forum designed for those who believe in all the forms of tongues, talking to people who believe in all forms of tongues, that so often those who believe otherwise just post a scripture about tongues (acts 2 being the most common), with little to no dialog around it as if to say, "here, this scripture should explain it all for you". Like we are not intimately familiar with that scripture and all the others surrounding the topic? Like if we believe different than you, clearly we must not know these scriptures? It's actually quite comical when you think about it... and condescending.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This forum is only for those who believe in God's spiritual gifts and they're for today.

Read of times where the gospel message was presented to someone in their native language by a believer who hadn't learned that language as on the day of Pentecost..

With over 6500 languages and some of them being clicks, then thought that God was using one of those languages when speaking in tongues.

I would say that God would not allow one to say His name in vain in the language that he gives to the person to speak, but if it is a known tongue (such as one who does not know English speaking in English) then the language has some way of disrespecting God and His name.

Upvote 0