Tongues for spiritual warfare and deliverance?

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This question is inspired by a "Buddhist to Christian" testimony. Specifically, this part of the testimony:

[...] I met her while visiting my best friend, Zlatko. She listened sympathetically to the problems and struggles in my life, emphasising that ONLY GOD could help remove the burdens from my shoulders. I could not work for my “”Salvation””. As I listened I felt different, warmth had crept into my heart, and finally I said a short prayer to welcome the LORD Jesus Christ into my heart as my Saviour. I didn’t know it then, but found out later, that Jovanka my friend’s wife had prayed intensely in “”tongues”” while I was being witnessed to. God later told her the following: “”Marlies, you think it was your good witnessing skills that led Souk to Jesus! No, when Jovanka prayed in tongues she bound the demon sitting on his head that had stopped him from turning to the Lord Jesus Christ.””

When the prayer was over I felt totally at peace and relieved. I was not even afraid of what my parents might say that one of their children had changed from a religion that had been in the family for centuries. In fact, within a few weeks I told them that no longer did I follow the Buddhist religion, but had become a Christian.

It turns out this is not an isolated case. After some searching I was able to confirm that other Christians share similar beliefs regarding the use of tongues in the context of spiritual warfare and deliverance/exorcism. For example:

From Praying... In the Gift of Tounges - God Encounters Ministries:

Tongues of war – There is a place where the Holy Spirit goes on the offensive. He battles through us. Sometimes there is a coupling together of the gift of faith with tongues. A rising within occurs and a push or urge to launch out against the demonic forces happens. Sometimes it is the wedding between discerning of spirits and tongues. You combat or attack the dark force, commanding it to flee.

From SPEAKING IN TONGUES:

During some of our DELIVERANCE sessions when the demon is being stubborn, we pray out loud in TONGUES. Usually, the person immediately covers their ears with their hands because the demons apparently can understand. The demons absolutely hate for you to pray in TONGUES at any time.

By the way, the demons can also speak in TONGUES, but it is coming from the spirit of the devil. You almost cannot tell the difference, which is why we have cast OUT many demons of FALSE TONGUES.

Even Tim Conway, from I'll Be Honest (same ministry as Paul Washer), in the video Has the gift of speaking in tongues ceased? - Tim Conway, referenced an anecdote from the book From Witchcraft to Christ (link) that involved tongue-speaking for deliverance. At 21:09 Tim Conway said:

But the fact is, the gift of tongues was a legitimate, and I believe, is a legitimate spiritual gift, and if somebody has an ability - look, I read a book not too long ago, called 'From Witchcraft to Christ', and the man who was heavily involved in delivering this woman from all these demons that were in her --she was involved in witchcraft, she was involved in Satan's worship--- and a friend of Martyn Lloyd-Jones, he believed he had the gift of tongues of angels, and you know what the woman said, who had been delivered of all these demons? She said, whether he did or not, I can't say but she said "I know this, when he would talk in that language, the demons inside me were terrified and they understood him". So, again, I'm not going to say what God can or can't do. And this was a very godly man, and like I said, he was a friend of Martyn Lloyd-Jones, and it seemed like God had given him special and unique gifts to be able to deal ... Is it possible man can speak in the tongues of angels? Hey, I haven't had it, I'm not going to say first hand. Paul definitely alludes to things like that [...]

Question: Is speaking in tongues for deliverance and spiritual warfare biblical? What is the biblical basis for speaking in tongues for deliverance and spiritual warfare?

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would have to say praying in the Holy Ghost would be integral to defeating the powers of darkness.
Jude 1
17But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ; 18How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts. 19These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit. 20But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, 21Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. 22And of some have compassion, making a difference: 23And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

• Winner
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Question: Is speaking in tongues for deliverance and spiritual warfare biblical? What is the biblical basis for speaking in tongues for deliverance and spiritual warfare?
There's one scripture passage that says tongues that cannot be translated are the person speaking profound mysteries, and if they can pray to translate then the edification value is the same as Prophecy.

Since sacraments are linked to the mysteries, it is no wonder that the mysteries of God given voice could have that effect.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟698,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

NO

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Many people use some of the gifts of The Spirit wrong.

Tongues has two functions, personal prayer and corporate speaking in the body of Christ. Do we sometimes speak in our prayer language if we encounter a bad situation? Of course, but that is prayer like it is suppose to be.

We don't build a ministry around trying to deliver people of demons by speaking at them in tongues. Jesus didn't have to do that, neither did any of the Apostles.

• Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Jesus didn't have to do that, neither did any of the Apostles.
This is true.

Having a language where understanding is removed, and faith is enhanced .. may be why it works for some people.

There is something perverted about the way the people in this time understand things, so less results or fruit come about when we apply that understanding.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,460.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"...and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance." Acts 2:4
Tongues will have whatever purpose He desires.

This is the best list I've seen of Biblical purposes includes:
-Personal prayer language - Speaking to/with God
-Intercessory prayer language - Praying for others in the Spirit
-Warfare language - Tongues directly aimed at demonic strongholds
-Prophetic language - Addressing the whole church/preferably with interpretation
-Singing in the Spirit - Singing in tongues/worship activity
-Praise language - Magnifying the Lord in worship tongues
-Evangelistic language - Speaking the message of God to a people in their own language (not yours)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Tongues is an absolutely perfect prayer. it can be used any time. Now, should it ONLY be used for anything? No, of course not. Should it ONLY, be used in deliverance? No, of course not, and I don't think anyone is saying that. However, when words fail, Tongues do not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums