• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Tongues as evidence of Holy Spirit

Discussion in 'Sign Gifts' started by Llleopard, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Llleopard

Llleopard Active Member

+243
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Why do some people insist that speaking in tongues is the evidence of being baptized in the Holy Spirit and that if you don't, then you aren't? The Bible appears to say that there are other gifts, some more to be desired, not that everyone will speak in tongues even with practice. Am I missing something obvious? I see people in our church with other gifts and fruit being told they need to be prayed for so they can recieve the H S, when to me the evidence in their lives shows they have, but just don't have tongues.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. NerdGirl

NerdGirl The untamed daughter

+2,340
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Because some people are convinced of their own rightness. Others are overzealous to appear super-spiritual to people around them. No, you aren't missing anything :)

3. Danigt22

Danigt22 Well-Known Member

+260
    Costa Rica
    Lutheran
    Celibate
    I mean, if you speak in tongues and believe in the gospel of your salvation within your heart. That sounds pretty much you are 100% save and seal with the holy ghost. But I dont think it is healthy to make it the focus. Our lord Jesus Christ gift of the cross is our focus, and the sacraments help us receive that grace through an objectified manner if we open our hearts to it.

4. Gregorikos

Gregorikos Ordinary Mystic

+376
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    Because of the 5 occurrences of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit recorded in Acts, in 3 of those cases it says they spoke in tongues. Acts 2, 10, and 19)

In the other two cases, one was Paul. We know he spoke in tongues, because he said so. (1 Corinthians 14:18)

The only other occurrence is Simon the magician, who was so impressed by whatever happened that he offered money to be able to do likewise. (Acts 8:9-13) Whatever happened was apparently supernatural. We don't know what it was, but tongues would be consistent with the other occurrences.

From this evidence, Pentecostals conclude that speaking in tongues is the initial evidence of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+4,376
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Pauls question 'do all speak in tongues?' would never have been asked if they did.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. d taylor

d taylor Well-Known Member

+1,553
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    The speaking in tongues was not the gibberish that it is today. It was the language of another person.

7. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,876
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    It's taken from Mark 16:17. Mind you, they don't expect Christians to drink poison or get bitten by snakes. It seems somewhat inconsistent to me. There is also a splinter group that says if you do not speak in tongues then you are not saved. This is clearly false. I used to speak in tongues but I don't any more. I just lost the desire. I still exercise spiritual gifts.

8. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+4,674
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Probably as a protest to athiestic rationalism being applied to the passages of the bible by some denominations.

9. GTW27

GTW27 Junior Member

+876
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Blessings in Christ Jesus! Some of you on this very board may have this gift and not know it. It was that way for me for a long time on my journey. I used to be curious about this gift and even went to youtube to see if I could understand it. Even though I am not worthy I do walk in The Spirit and preach in The Spirit as The Lord wills. Also, other Gifts have manifested as the need has arisen. I know that this is all Him and not me. A few years ago I was reading these boards and a person gave a couple of short instructions on how to receive this gift by faith. And since I have the gift of faith I decided to include it with my nightly prayers. These are the instructions I followed that night;
    1. Believe it is The Lords will for you to have this gift.
    2. Go ask for it(in prayer)
    3.Thank Him for the gift.
    4.Now go out and do something you have never done before.
    That night I went into my bedroom to pray and included the instruction above. By the time I got back to the living room this Beautiful Language was flowing from my lips. There was no practicing, it just flowed. I was astonish. It felt more natural to me than the English I have spoken all of my life. When it flows out it gives new meaning to the words, Born from above, and in the world but not of it. It makes you feel like a sojourner in a foreign land. The one thing I have learned is that demons hate it and flee from it. Perhaps that is what is behind the push against the gift of tongues in today's time. I realize there are fake tongues, and demonic tongues for I have witness them both. Are there those that are truly born from above that do not speak in tongues, absolutely. I left the instructions that I followed in case anyone else was curious enough to give it a try. Just imagine for a minute, if this caught on and many had begun praying in tongues how prayer could start changing the tide in this war. Sometimes, when it comes to the enemy, I feel like Urkel(Steve Urkel). "Did I do thaaaat" LOL.

10. Michael Collum

+4,674
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    I used to speak in tongues a lot, but after applying something I read in the bible - I prayed so I could translate and no more weird sounding tongues - but the world looks different now.

Hard to put into words.

11. tturt

tturt Senior Veteran Supporter

+4,573
    Non-Denom
    Married
    This forum is only for posters that believe in spiritual gifts and they're for today per forum rules

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  12. tturt

+4,573
    Non-Denom
    Married
    With the groups that received tongues in Scripture, it states "all" received (Acts 2:4; 4:31; 10:44-46; 19:6,7) . Also, Acts 8 "Then [the apostles] laid their hands on them one by one, and they received the Holy Spirit."

Tongues are a sign - To unbelievers By believers "Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not:" "And these signs shall follow them that believe; ...they shall speak with new tongues; (I Cor 14:22 and Mark 16:17) So that means any believer can speak in tongues which is given to them by the Holy Spirit. Also, "Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?" Take out the question mark This Scripture is referring to the gift of tongues with interpretation. There would not be any reason for every believer to be used with this gift at the same time and in the same location.

manifestation of the spiritual gifts including "another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues;..." I Cor 12:10

The divers of tongues at least defined as: 1- a message of tongues with interpretation (edifies the church and often given in the church I Cor 12:10 , I Cor 14:5 ) and 2- prayer language (I Cor 14:14-15). These have numerous purposes such as edifies believers, magifies God (Acts 10)

"Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues." I Cor 14:39

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. tturt

+4,573
    Non-Denom
    Married
    There's 6500 languages and some of them are unusual such as clicks. Plus there's a heavenly language according to I Cor 13:1.

14. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,876
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    That's as bad a reason as any to preach something false, I suppose.

15. Michael Collum

+4,674
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    I suppose. But the whole speak tongues and don't translate for fun application seems a little too blatant.