1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tongues and Acts 2

Discussion in 'Pentecostal & Assemblies of God' started by Dietrich Johnson, May 11, 2022.

1. Dietrich Johnson

Dietrich Johnson Member

+31
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I am seeking to understanding the Pentecostal perspective regarding the scriptural basis for speaking in tongues that are not a spoken language (German, Chinese, Spanish, etc). In the Acts 2 context it is clearly a spoken language, where those Galileans blessed with the gift could immediately and miraculously speak the mother-tongue of other languages (Acts 2:3-10).

I also have a second question, which is: from the Pentecostal perspective if there are reasons outside of scripture to support the argument for speaking in tongues that are not a spoken language (i.e. a mother-tongue from other countries).

Thank you!

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Halbhh

Halbhh Everything You say is Life to me Supporter

+8,340
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Well, the main teaching in scripture about Tongues for the church after the special day of Pentecost is in
    1 Corinthians 14 ESV

Prophecy and Tongues

1 Pursue love, and earnestly desire the spiritual gifts...

(continues... and it could help to read additional translations along with the very excellent ESV, such as you can do easily here:
    1 Corinthians 14 NIV ESV Parallel)

So, that's the passage (full chapter) to read about tongues today, in the church now, and the rules God gave to us about it now.

3. pescador

pescador Wise old man Supporter

+4,653
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    1 Corinthians 13:1, "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but I do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal." Clearly there is a difference.

1 Corinthians 14:1-5, "Pursue love and be eager for the spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy. For the one speaking in a tongue does not speak to people but to God, for no one understands; he is speaking mysteries by the Spirit. But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouragement, and consolation. The one who speaks in a tongue builds himself up, but the one who prophesies builds up the church. I wish you all spoke in tongues, but even more that you would prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets so that the church may be strengthened."

Clearly, Paul wrote about a language that is not a normal way of communicating. It is not understood and must be interpreted.

Acts 2 speaks of various known languages.

Acts 2:4-8, "All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit, and they began to speak in other languages as the Spirit enabled them.

Now there were devout Jews from every nation under heaven residing in Jerusalem. When this sound occurred, a crowd gathered and was in confusion, because each one heard them speaking in his own language. Completely baffled, they said, “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? And how is it that each one of us hears them in our own native language?"

It is unfortunate that some translations don't make the difference clear. It's one of the reasons I prefer a modern translation, the NET in this case. It is written in modern English.

4. sandman

sandman Senior Member

+932
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    US-Constitution
    I don't use tags so I don't know what a Pentecostals believes .........Just a Christian.
    The link gives 12 benefits to tongues.

12 Benefits of Speaking in Tongues

5. Halbhh

Halbhh Everything You say is Life to me Supporter

+8,340
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    And, let's not forget verse 28 (!) --

27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God.

This is a really helpful passage with verse 28(!) if a person belongs to a Pentecostal church I think, having attended one for a few years once in youth as our family went there, and also having visited a couple since.

6. sandman

sandman Senior Member

+932
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    US-Constitution
    Some additional information regarding the interpretation that my be helpful...
    The person speaking should be giving the interpretation...

14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

To “pray that he may interpret” is not pray for interpretation, but rather pray that you believe to interpret. You are already equipped with the gift of holy spirit …..which means you can operate any and all of the 9 manifestation, but if you don’t believe you can, …….pray to God that you have the confidence to accept what he has already made available to you.

Note also that verse 13 states except he interpret…. not someone else. We have to follow grammatical structure, which applies to both Greek and English. When “he” applies to the person speaking we cannot change the rules of application to suite our beliefs. In order for this to reference a totally different person, it would have to read, in the third person, they …the same applies in verse 1Co 14:5 also.

14:27 If any man speak in an [unknown tongue], let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course (order) and let one (heis) interpret.

The Greek text employs the word heis for → one (not hen)….. meaning “the one in the samenot someone else.
    (Other examples of “heis” are in Luke12:52; Romans3:30)

14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

The word no in verse 28 is the Greek word , which is a conditional negation, depending on feeling, as opposed to the Greek word ou which would be a full and direct negation not depending on any condition, expressed or implied; based on fact.

ou is objective is subjective. If we were talking about someone else, (an interpreter not being there to interpret the tongues,) the word no would have to be ou, but it is not. The word for no in this verse is mē, and it referring to the person who may lack the will, or desire to interpret.