Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tongues to unbeliever
And to the believer
The evidence ..A manifestation of the spirit within .
A spirit within is known to be within a person by its outer manifestation .

We cannot see spirit .
So we cannot know what spirit is in a person except by that which is made manifest outwardly.

Tongues is Of the holy Spirit .tongues of the Holy Spirit Glorify God .
We know this from people being filled with the holy Spirit who then spoke in tongues glorifying God...
They spoke the tongue of English.how is this known to be tongues of the holy spirit?.. Well that's because the people being baptised in the holy spirit did not speak English.

And all this evidence is how we know a person has received the Holy Spirit and is thus sealed with God's approval proving his acceptance of true repentance .

There are many manifestations today but this remains the only unambiguious clear scriptural one.

Goose bumps gold dust shakes shakes tremering tingling of hands airyfairy seeing of angels ,jerking ,ticks ,oozing honeysweet niceness of how loveydovey God is...and so much more these days... Are not built upon the foundation of scripture.
For the many years I was involved in such things i never was set free from sin nor did true repentance occur in my heart or life.

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Tongues to unbeliever
And to the believer
The evidence ..A manifestation of the spirit within .
A spirit within is known to be within a person by its outer manifestation .

We cannot see spirit .
So we cannot know what spirit is in a person except by that which is made manifest outwardly.

Tongues is Of the holy Spirit .tongues of the Holy Spirit Glorify God .
We know this from people being filled with the holy Spirit who then spoke in tongues glorifying God...
They spoke the tongue of English.how is this known to be tongues of the holy spirit?.. Well that's because the people being baptised in the holy spirit did not speak English.

And all this evidence is how we know a person has received the Holy Spirit and is thus sealed with God's approval proving his acceptance of true repentance .

There are many manifestations today but this remains the only unambiguious clear scriptural one.

Goose bumps gold dust shakes shakes tremering tingling of hands airyfairy seeing of angels ,jerking ,ticks ,oozing honeysweet niceness of how loveydovey God is...and so much more these days... Are not built upon the foundation of scripture.
For the many years I was involved in such things i never was set free from sin nor did true repentance occur in my heart or life.
Don't forget other manifestations of the Holy Spirit like Divine healing, miracles, and most importantly the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23). Not everyone Spirit filled saint is enabled with the gift of tongues. Even the Apostle Paul didn't have this gift (1 Cor 14:18-19). A new life is the best manifestation of the indwelling Holy Spirit :).

Reactions: 381465
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't forget other manifestations of the Holy Spirit like Divine healing, miracles, and most importantly the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23). Not everyone Spirit filled saint is enabled with the gift of tongues. Even the Apostle Paul didn't have this gift (1 Cor 14:18-19). A new life is the best manifestation of the indwelling Holy Spirit :).

Again that's not a bible based doctrine it's a carnal based opinion.
Since its not of us but of the holy spirit that tongues comes.to say a spirit filled person cannot speak in tongues is to say the holy spirit cannot speak in tongues.
We have begun to observe that when pro ppl eget free of that preset man-made doctrine..every one of them begin to speak in tongues by the holy spirit in them.
This differs from the gift of tongues.the gift..which as with all the gifts is the ability to operate with increased comprehension for the purpose of equipping ALL the body to do it .this is the same with all the gifts.

The very incorrect understanding that God only gives to one and not another is a contradiction of him not being partial.
He gives to ..whom he will ..for the strict purpose that they use it to instruct ALL the body to do it.
So that the WHOLE body be equipped to the work of the Gospel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Anyone witnessed interpretation of tongues?

1 Corinthians 12
10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

Would love to hear an experience where this has happened.

Where one speaks and anther interoperates.

:)

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Again that's not a bible based doctrine it's a carnal based opinion.
Since its not of us but of the holy spirit that tongues comes.to say a spirit filled person cannot speak in tongues is to say the holy spirit cannot speak in tongues.
We have begun to observe that when pro ppl eget free of that preset man-made doctrine..every one of them begin to speak in tongues by the holy spirit in them.
This differs from the gift of tongues.the gift..which as with all the gifts is the ability to operate with increased comprehension for the purpose of equipping ALL the body to do it .this is the same with all the gifts.

The very incorrect understanding that God only gives to one and not another is a contradiction of him not being partial.
He gives to ..whom he will ..for the strict purpose that they use it to instruct ALL the body to do it.
So that the WHOLE body be equipped to the work of the Gospel.
Galatians 5:22-23 is not man made my friend. Paul didn't speak in tongues either. 1 Corinthians 14:18-19 is not man made either. Speaking in tongues is a gift of the Holy Spirit. But beware of counterfeits from the devil (I've seen plenty of speaking in tongues but with no spiritual character), which is what Paul warned us about.

• Agree
Reactions: 381465
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anyone witnessed interpretation of tongues?

1 Corinthians 12
10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

Would love to hear an experience where this has happened.

Where one speaks and anther interoperates.

:)
Yes seen it often ..learning more and more

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Galatians 5:22-23 is not man made my friend. Paul didn't speak in tongues either. 1 Corinthians 14:18-19 is not man made either. Speaking in tongues is a gift of the Holy Spirit. But beware of counterfeits from the devil (I've seen plenty of speaking in tongues but with no spiritual character), which is what Paul warned us about.
1 .Paul stated he spoke in tongues more then all of you...
2. Tongues have never been about character. Or people who has just repented and baptised could not speak in tongues ..yet they did and do.

Just a note.in this forum promotion of the unbelief of cessationism is not allowed.

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
"They spoke the tongue of English. how is this known to be tongues of the holy spirit?.. Well that's because the people being baptised in the holy spirit did not speak English."

What was their native tongue?
Where did this happen?

Really interesting.

I've yet to witness tongs then interpretation.

I've witness people pray in tongs but no interpretation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"They spoke the tongue of English. how is this known to be tongues of the holy spirit?.. Well that's because the people being baptised in the holy spirit did not speak English."

What was their native tongue?
Where did this happen?

Really interesting.

I've yet to witness tongs then interpretation.

I've witness people pray in tongs but no interpretation.
Their native tongue was an Indonesian dialect.

Reactions: I'm_Sorry
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am having trouble understanding your point. It seems you are saying that tongues are a sign for unbelievers and believers alike to indicate the inward experience of the baptism of the Holy Spirit outwardly, but tongues do nothing to build godly character or to save people. Is that right? If so, I agree. Tongues do edify the person in the sense that the Holy Spirit is praying for that person and others as well.

As for interpretation, this is done when a prophecy is given to the congregation. I used to hear this many times in the Assemblies of God where I first experienced both my new birth and the baptism of the Holy Spirit. The problem is, no one knows if the interpretation is correct. We just took it by faith that it was. Many times they were just general statements of well being and blessing, which had no significant element that stood out as uniquely from God.

I have prophecised, but that was because I felt the prompting of the Lord to speak a word. The prophecy was in English, not tongues, and all I had was a single word, but as I spoke the rest would come out.

Andrew Wommack believes that when we pray in tongues as a private prayer language, we should still ask God for the interpretation so we can agree with His prayer. I have tried this but have had no sense of an interpretation brought forth.

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don’t think Paul was dispelling or saying he never spoke in tongues, which he may have been referring to as actual native languages, but that whatever the mode of communication he just thought it was best used when translated to a familiar language. What would be the benefit to someone if they were left wondering what was said?

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I am having trouble understanding your point. It seems you are saying that tongues are a sign for unbelievers and believers alike to indicate the inward experience of the baptism of the Holy Spirit outwardly, but tongues do nothing to build godly character or to save people. Is that right? If so, I agree. Tongues do edify the person in the sense that the Holy Spirit is praying for that person and others as well.

As for interpretation, this is done when a prophecy is given to the congregation. I used to hear this many times in the Assemblies of God where I first experienced both my new birth and the baptism of the Holy Spirit. The problem is, no one knows if the interpretation is correct. We just took it by faith that it was. Many times they were just general statements of well being and blessing, which had no significant element that stood out as uniquely from God.

I have prophecised, but that was because I felt the prompting of the Lord to speak a word. The prophecy was in English, not tongues, and all I had was a single word, but as I spoke the rest would come out.

Andrew Wommack believes that when we pray in tongues as a private prayer language, we should still ask God for the interpretation so we can agree with His prayer. I have tried this but have had no sense of an interpretation brought forth.
Within the AoG in particular, it is common to hear grassroot members referring to the formula tongues + interpretation = prophecy. The odd thing about this is that not only are there no examples of this to be found within the Word but Paul is adamant that when the Holy Spirit prays through us that he will always direct his words to the Father and never to man. When the Holy Spirit speaks to man he will always do so in prophecy and in the language of those who are present.

Regarding Wommack's view that we should seek an interpretation of what the Spirit is saying to the Father in tongues, this also has no basis within the Word and I seriously doubt if we would be able to handle knowing what the Holy Spirit is saying as he would be revealing the deepest and often the darkest secrets of those who we are praying for - I know that I would never want to know such very personal things about another; for that matter, I probably would not want to know what the Spirit is saying to the Father about me!

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Paul didn't speak in tongues either. 1 Corinthians 14:18-19 is not man made either.
In 1 Corinthians 14 Paul tells us that he speaks in tongues more than any of us, so you might need to qualify your point.

But beware of counterfeits from the devil (I've seen plenty of speaking in tongues but with no spiritual character), which is what Paul warned us about.
Paul never addresses this issue and if he felt that Satan could impersonate the Holy Spirit then he would have undoubtedly discussed such a thing, but as he has not then we have no need to concern ourselves with something that did not concern Paul nor any other Biblical writer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If never listened to Andrew womack.

What I do know is we are to desire earnestly all the abilities(gifts)
And that whatever we ask the father for in Jesus name..he gives.
Especially when we ask for the right motive and not out own ego.
But that topic arose because someone asked a sideline question.

My overall point is.. Tongues are an outward evidence that one has received the Holy spirit and if one has not received that seal they are not Christ`s

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are two kinds of tongues. One where the utterance is from the Holy Spirit, one where the utterance is from our own reborn spirit.
Is this traditional reasoning..or..scripture?

Why would it be of 2 spirits?
It's just the speaker acting in faith to speak and the holy spirit moves
There is no need to divide it into a gift of two different spirits.

When we lay hands on the sick and they get healed .do we then say oh sometimes it my spirit sometimes it as gods..?? Nope. We act obediently in faith and the God does it. Tongues is no different.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Within the AoG in particular, it is common to hear grassroot members referring to the formula tongues + interpretation = prophecy. The odd thing about this is that not only are there no examples of this to be found within the Word but Paul is adamant that when the Holy Spirit prays through us that he will always direct his words to the Father and never to man. When the Holy Spirit speaks to man he will always do so in prophecy and in the language of those who are present.

Regarding Wommack's view that we should seek an interpretation of what the Spirit is saying to the Father in tongues, this also has no basis within the Word and I seriously doubt if we would be able to handle knowing what the Holy Spirit is saying as he would be revealing the deepest and often the darkest secrets of those who we are praying for - I know that I would never want to know such very personal things about another; for that matter, I probably would not want to know what the Spirit is saying to the Father about me!
I agree.
But we can ask .
For All the gifts.and it is become quite a regular thing after asking him to find often enough I get a clear picture of what it is I'm praying for..though more often it's Who I'm.praying for..not what.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is this traditional reasoning..or..scripture?

Why would it be of 2 spirits?
It's just the speaker acting in faith to speak and the holy spirit moves
There is no need to divide it into a gift of two different spirits.

When we lay hands on the sick and they get healed .do we then say oh sometimes it my spirit sometimes it as gods..?? Nope. We act obediently in faith and the God does it. Tongues is no different.

Nope, just scripture:

I am praying from my spirit:
1 Corinthians 14:14 KJV
For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

Example of praying from the utterance of the Holy Spirit:
1 Corinthians 12:
8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

Upvote 0