Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
my wife insists on scratch made. I happily oblige.
nice, I'll have to look into that. I don't ever buy cookies anymore - they're always homemade. But my chocolate chips are still storebought... for now!

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
nice, I'll have to look into that. I don't ever buy cookies anymore - they're always homemade. But my chocolate chips are still storebought... for now!

there was a local place when I was in Seminary that made candy and chocolate and such. needless to say, we made use of that store.

Reactions: AMM
Upvote 0

Lyrasong

Oct 3, 2012
✟16,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hello - I have been away from the Church for many years, but am praying about returning. The belief in ‘celestial toll houses’ (by many) remains troubling. Support for this belief appears to be lacking in Scripture, no matter how far back it can be traced in Orthodox tradition. Furthermore, why would the judgement of demons be placed before that of Christ? Thank you for any thoughts and direction.

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello - I have been away from the Church for many years, but am praying about returning. The belief in ‘celestial toll houses’ (by many) remains troubling. Support for this belief appears to be lacking in Scripture, no matter how far back it can be traced in Orthodox tradition. Furthermore, why would the judgement of demons be placed before that of Christ? Thank you for any thoughts and direction.

Check out this thread :

Your View on The Aerial Toll Houses (Orthodox Only Please)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

the demons don't judge anyone. they accuse, flatter, deceive, and like us to think that they can judge, but they can't.

it's in Scripture (the parable of the rich young fool, Lazarus and the rich man, etc.).

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
What's so scary about the Tollhouses that everyone tries to say it doesn't exist, it's pagan, etc?
I mean, I cant deny that I’m more than a little scared of the idea. Demons accusing me? Their accusations are true. Flattering me? I would fall into pride so easily. Deceiving me? I’m not that wise to think I’ll be able to resist their deceptions. Tempting me? Considering that they tempt me successfully now, I don’t know how things would be any different if I departed this life and had to face their temptations right now

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I mean, I cant deny that I’m more than a little scared of the idea. Demons accusing me? Their accusations are true. Flattering me? I would fall into pride so easily. Deceiving me? I’m not that wise to think I’ll be able to resist their deceptions. Tempting me? Considering that they tempt me successfully now, I don’t know how things would be any different if I departed this life and had to face their temptations right now

so, just think about it. it's really no different then the spiritual warfare we undergo now, only that we're more aware.

so if we spend our life repenting and clinging to Christ, our first instinct when we depart and see the demons is to cling to Christ.

and when we do that, we see how powerless they are.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
so, just think about it. it's really no different then the spiritual warfare we undergo now, only that we're more aware.

so if we spend our life repenting and clinging to Christ, our first instinct when we depart and see the demons is to cling to Christ.

and when we do that, we see how powerless they are.
That makes sense, and I’m not saying I feel hopeless despair about it. But I think my fear rises from the fact that right now, if I fall into sin, I can repent. After death, if I succumb to the demons, there is no chance to repent. (Unless I’m mistaken on my understanding, whichcould very well be true)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That makes sense, and I’m not saying I feel hopeless despair about it. But I think my fear rises from the fact that right now, if I fall into sin, I can repent. After death, if I succumb to the demons, there is no chance to repent. (Unless I’m mistaken on my understanding, whichcould very well be true)

that's why we need to be vigilant.

Upvote 0

Lyrasong

Oct 3, 2012
✟16,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
the demons don't judge anyone. they accuse, flatter, deceive, and like us to think that they can judge, but they can't.

it's in Scripture (the parable of the rich young fool, Lazarus and the rich man, etc.).

Thank you, but I just do not see this doctrine in Scripture. Saint Paul tells us that to be absent from the body, is to be present with the Lord. Our Lord, Himself, assured the Good Thief from the Cross ... that that very day, he would be with Him in Paradise.

A real problem with the belief in aerial Toll Houses is that it removes the Lord’s saving death as the means for our justification, and places it right back on our own worthiness (or, lack thereof). It causes us to be self-centered, rather than to place our trust and hope in Jesus Christ. It makes us fearful, when we have been told that God’s perfect love casts out fear.

I have read Fr Seraphim Rose’s book, btw, though it was some years ago.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.